Final Cut Studio 2

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on macOS.

Moderator: Moderators

prune

Final Cut Studio 2

Post by prune »

Hi,

Is 3D Connexion in touch with Apple to support SN in FinalCut studio ?
Motion is in 3D now
Final Cut would have a great use of SN for moving in the timeline, stretching it or adjusting some parameters. The open plugins system of FCP would normaly enable 3Dconnexion to do the plugins on theire own.
Moreover, the support of other input devices like the ****** or the so simple griffin controle mate prove it can be done.
Color would also greatly use the SN, where you could navigate in color, saturation and contrast in one movement !

What do 3Dconnexion guys have to say ?

(Someone from 3Dconnexion europe was supposed to call me for shipping back the SN, but I still haven't heard of them....)
--
Prune
John the Geek

Re: Final Cut Studio 2

Post by John the Geek »

prune wrote:Hi,

Is 3D Connexion in touch with Apple to support SN in FinalCut studio ?
They might as well claim they already support it in their advertising, it would fit in line with the rest of their apps.

Then a lot of people would go buy it and discover it's not true and be angry like we are. This seems to be common advertising practice with this company.
prune

Post by prune »

John John John....

give them some time to be able to add all claimed application, and more.

Because they will add support for all application. Don't they ?
--
Prune
John the Geek

Post by John the Geek »

prune wrote:John John John....

give them some time to be able to add all claimed application, and more.

Because they will add support for all application. Don't they ?
I don't tell my doctor that I've lost 20 lbs just because I intend to exercise more and lose 20 lbs.

There's too much discrepancy between what 2DConnexion is claiming this thing can do and what it actually does. They over-hyped it too soon and now a lot of us are p*ssed because it hasn't lived up to those standards.

Now supports Mac - No, now developing beta Mac drivers is the accurate phrase.

Adds Photoshop CS3 support - No, Working on a beta plug-in.

Supports Google Earth - But only in Windows at this time. (Not even in the Mac beta yet!)

See where we're getting burned here?
prune

Post by prune »

Of course I know all this. I had the same suprise when I received mine.
I'm still waiting for someone from 3D connexion to ship it back and have my money back too, including the shippig cost !

For me there is another problem :
- when wil the other applications be supported ?
- what will be supported and when

My main concern is "WHO" is due to add support. In another post it seems 3Dconnexion put this on application developpers.
Of course Apple will take time to add support in FCS2 for a product they won't make any money with. Same for Maxon C4D or any commercial application.
Even if some have added support, I don't think all of them will.

That's why I think it's 3D connexion duty to add support to software already having any kind of plugins technology. This is the case for CS3, this is the case for FCS2 (and FCS) and this is also the case in many (all ?) 3D software, like Cinema 4D.

But as they claim it's not their duty, I claim I was fooled and I want my money back. And I hope many of you will do the same, until they show us a real desire to add any new application support without waiting the application develloper to do it himself.

This is my point. Give them a chance to proove they want to have the SN working on Macs.
--
Prune
quinn

Post by quinn »

Yeah, exactly. :?

Advertised features should be included and working. These flaws are not some minor errors. It does not work at all as advertised.
The erroneous belief the SN will be a cheap and well functioning device is their cash cow. Sorry, but I can not write anymore without getting really derogative.

In German it would read: behaltet euren Dreck ihr Betrügerschweine! :evil:
ettore

Post by ettore »

Prune, John the Geek, quinn:
as mentioned in other posts, we are really sorry that the website reported erroneous information. Granted, it was a (huge) bug, but it was not intentional. The Mac is the last platform for which we added support here at 3Dconnnexion. We do intend to add more applications. The full list of apps we support at the moment is here:
viewtopic.php?t=801
ettore pasquini
software engineer
3Dconnexion, inc.
prune

Post by prune »

Yes, I know that. But if I had known earlier (you set this page a week ago), I wouldn't have bought the SN.

The problem now is how and what will you do to fill this list for mac software :)

Ooops, I also missed "when" ?

Thanks
--
Prune
ettore

Post by ettore »

prune wrote:Yes, I know that. But if I had known earlier (you set this page a week ago), I wouldn't have bought the SN.

The problem now is how and what will you do to fill this list for mac software :)

Ooops, I also missed "when" ?
unfortunately I am not the right person to talk to about future plans... but we are working on new apps (I swear!)

About the how: we try to do the development ourself when it's feasible (e.g. plugins or open source apps). We also work with 3rd parties to help them integrate support for our devices into their app and sometimes that's the only way possible. In that case, the 3rd party takes charge and the would decide the release timeline.

Moreover, our devices comply to HID standards so any app that works with the HID manager should be able to see our device and do something with it. Finally, we also have an SDK out. This is not to say that we are sitting here hoping that other companies add support for the SN: I am just presenting what's available.
ettore pasquini
software engineer
3Dconnexion, inc.
maxscience

Post by maxscience »

Hi,
I bought the spacenavigator today, it's really cool. I plan to do a review on my website.

I also need support for Final Cut Studio 2 asap!
ruigato

FCS2

Post by ruigato »

that would be just fantastic.. tried yesterday to record a camera animation with Motion 3 after doing one in 3d max... it's a pain...

with the space navigator i could shrink 4 hours into 30 minutes of work!

Motion actually supports third party plugins.. would this be a possible way to do it?
prune

Post by prune »

3 months now waiting for new apps and still nothing. Maybe SN will be supported in Final Cut Studio 3, in 2 years :)
--
Prune
Martin

Post by Martin »

prune wrote:3 months now waiting for new apps and still nothing. Maybe SN will be supported in Final Cut Studio 3, in 2 years :)
Hi,
that is not completely true. If you want to try some space navigator enabled apps you can try the Cheetah3D 4.2 beta here

http://cheetah3d.de/forum/showthread.php?t=1791

For the other 3D apps I guess you just have to wait for the next updates.

Bye,
Martin
LiamDutch

Post by LiamDutch »

Any new developments here?

Do we have an expected date yet when it will work in FCS 2? :D
prune

Post by prune »

Stop dreaming. This product is born dead by lack of support of any commercial application. It's good to impress your friends on google earth, but don't expect to use it for production work.

More than a year have passed, and I haven't been able to use it. It's on my desk, cover of dust. No support for FinalCut Studio. No support for Cinema4D (even in the latest release).
I even get a "usb missile launcher" with joystick support but wasn't able to use it with SN.

Anyone reading here : don't buy for Macintosh !
--
Prune