SolidWorks add-in won't load

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave_v

SolidWorks add-in won't load

Post by Dave_v »

I’m doing a computer upgrade along with switching to Windows10 running SW 2020 and a Space Explorer (USB).
The configuration worked great on the old machine running win7 and driver 1.4.0.12688 (per windows).

The setup with the new computer was going great until I let “PCmover” transfer data from the old to new computer overnight. It was suppose to transfer just the D drive data, but instead it transferred and installed all the software from the C drive to the new C drive. BTW. It does a great job of doing that, I was surprised, but there went my clean SW install…

I didn’t swap the Space Explorer to the new computer to see if it would work, I was more concerned with deleting and clearing out all the stuff that transferred including the Space Explorer driver. I used “Revo Uninstaller” and the registry editor to clear everything out.

My first attempt at installing a driver failed because the installer said there was an older version that it couldn’t uninstall. That was with driver 10.8.4 which I later realized wasn’t compatible with my Space Explorer. When back through the registry and cleaned out more keys referencing 3Dx. Switched to the 10.4.3 driver. It stops at the point of installing the Add-In for SW,

“3Dconnexion Add-In for Solid-Works 2005-2016 installation failed.
Error: 1610
Do you wish to continue?”.

If I say yes it continues to load everything but the SW Add-In and of course SW can’t find the Add-In. No, and it backs most everything out. I’m installing as adim.

I can’t find anything on Error 1610…

I also tried driver 10.6.4, the last driver which I understand works with the Space Explorer. The error with it is:

“3Dconnexion Add-In for SolidWorks installation failed.
Error: 1603
Do you wish to continue?”.

Same results.

I think I muffed something up in the registry…

Help!

Thanks,
Dave
ngomes

Re: SolidWorks add-in won't load

Post by ngomes »

Dave_v wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:10 am I think I muffed something up in the registry…
Well, not you but the tool. These "clean up" tool are notorious for the issues they create when trying to replicate system settings.

In all likelihood, the tool transferred Registry information under the "Installer" key but not the corresponding files. In other words, the system has a registration for the SOLIDWORKS add-in but it is missing the files that are necessary to uninstall or update.

A good workaround is to run the exact installer for the software that you had before. If you don't know what this, check the %TEMP% directory. You will find a set of "3DxWare...log" files, the installer log files. There will be one for the SOLIDWORKS add-in, the 3DxWinCore driver and more. If you find the files, put them in a zip package and use a file share service (say Dropbox, GDrive, OneDrive, etc) to send it us over a private message.

Note: don't share log files on publicly accessible web sites such as this topic page. The installer files are unlikely to contain any confidential information but it is best to be on the safe side.
Nuno Gomes
Dave_v

Post by Dave_v »

Just to be clear, are you looking for the files from the old or new computer?

The new computer has 128 log files from the 10.4.3 and 10.6.4 install attempts.

The old computer doesn’t have any log files in the format you list. There are only five log files that pertain to 3Dconnexion:

edxnlserver.log
eDxSmartUI.log
3DVirtualLCD.log
and two: 3DxService.log

From digging around I see that the old computer is running 10.4.3

I just tried to do an uninstall per David V at tech support, didn’t work, exact same results…

I’m putting together a dropbox with all the files.

Regards,

Dave
Dave_v

Post by Dave_v »

It appears that I'm not allowed to send private messages yet...

Dave
luping

Post by luping »

Commercial SOLIDWORKS Standard licence price is starting at 3995 USD, with annual maintainance fee of 1295 USD, or 810 USD per 3 months or 2700 USD per year. SOLIDWORKS Professional licence is $5490 with an annual maintenance fee of $1495, term licences are available at 1080 USD per 3 months, or 4600 USD per year. So you or your employer is able to invest on SOLIDWORKS software licence. I don't think you or your employer is not able to afford to upgrade the SpaceExplorer to a new model. Invest on a new 3Dconnexion 3D mouse model, like the SpaceMouse Pro/Pro Wireless/Wireless/Enterprise. That's the way to go.

I'm just an end user of 3Dconnexion products, not in any way affiliated with 3Dconnexion.
luping

Post by luping »

Judging from Laplink website's PCMOVER offerings, I suppose you bought the PCMOVER Professional licence? It costs 59.95 USD per licence. So obviously you're able to invest on a new 3Dconnexion product.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Dave_v wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:18 pm It appears that I'm not allowed to send private messages yet...
Sorry about that. Should work now.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Dave_v wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:12 pm From digging around I see that the old computer is running 10.4.3

I just tried to do an uninstall per David V at tech support, didn’t work, exact same results…
Right. The uninstall won't work until the requires files are made available. If you had 10.4.3 in the old computer then you can download the installer from the software archive here.

Run the installer. If that works, reboot, uninstall everything (to clear anything left over by the replication tool) and reboot once more.
Dave_v

Post by Dave_v »

None of the versions of the installer work...

Dave V from tech came up with a bat file to fix the 1603 error, it didn't...

Here's the results from trying to install 10.8.4
IMG_3217.jpg
IMG_3217.jpg (230.82 KiB) Viewed 19267 times
IMG_3218_2.jpg
IMG_3218_2.jpg (189.3 KiB) Viewed 19267 times
My last attempt added this error to the others shown above... This after going back again and removing all traces of the driver and then running Dave V's bat file.
IMG_3219.jpg
IMG_3219.jpg (117.07 KiB) Viewed 19267 times
Regards,

Dave
Ps. To luping, if buying the latest and greatest SpaceMouse would fix this issue it would have been on order. The driver for it won't load either...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

ngomes wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:56 am
Dave_v wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:18 pm It appears that I'm not allowed to send private messages yet...
Sorry about that. Should work now.
We had a look at the logs you sent over a private message.

For the old computer -- and as you pointed out, there are no installation log files. Did you try installing 10.4.3 yet?

For the new computer, we can see that the latest installation attempt failed because -- as you know -- an old SOLIDWORKS add-in cannot be uninstalled. As far as we can tell, the old add-in is included in version 10.4.3 of 3DxWare 10.

Please try installing the old version of 3DxWare 10 on the new computer (see link in one of posts above).
Dave_v

Post by Dave_v »

I've tried installing 10.4.3 many times on the new computer with different levels of removing what was transferred over from the old computer along with using Dave V's bat file. Always the same same error, 1610. I can continue the driver install after the error message with the same result, the driver installs, but not the SW Add-In.

From my limited knowledge, it appears to me that during my original registry cleaning I partially removed a key that says there's a SW Add-In in place. I've corrupted it enough to think it's there, but not enough left for the driver reinstall to delete or write over it.

I don't know where to look in the registry to find the possibly corrupt key...

Dave
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Dave_v wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:04 am I've tried installing 10.4.3 many times on the new computer
Using a tool like 7-Zip, extract the "3DxSolidWorks64.msi" from the installer executable file. I think the 10.4.6 is still based on an older installation, so you may have to extract the msi file from an exe file within the installer executable.

Once you have the msi, run it by double-clicking on it. If it fails again, then continue the discussion with my colleagues in Technical Support since this issue may require editing the Registry and that's not something we can help with in a public site (others may try to follow the instructions and end up with an unrecoverable system).

You're not the first to be caught on such a mess. These third-party "replication" or "move" tools are tricky and we recommend against using them.
Dave_v

Post by Dave_v »

First time doing that, didn't know that was a thing.

Came up with this error when I tried running it.

Dave
IMG_3220.jpg
IMG_3220.jpg (121.44 KiB) Viewed 19242 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Dave_v wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:27 am Came up with this error when I tried running it.
Yep. The installation registration is invalid and the system cannot proceed.

Please run the installer again but collect a log file:
  1. Open a command prompt.
  2. Change to the directory where the msi file is saved.
  3. Run the following command:

Code: Select all

msiexec /i 3DxSolidWorks64.msi /l*vx install.log
  4. Package the log in a zip file and send it to us in a private message.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Dave_v wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:27 am Came up with this error when I tried running it.
After reviewing the second log shared in a private message, we can confirm the registration of the add-in installation is invalid due to a missing file (copying by the system to a cache location).

We provided the instructions on what to do next. Note that it is important to then install 10.4.3, reboot and uninstall since the system will have other data left over that should be cleaned up.