Joystick functionality fluctuating

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

NWittje

Joystick functionality fluctuating

Post by NWittje »

Hey team,
I use the SpaceMouse Wireless also as an input controller for testing of flight simulation software (a certain avionic suite). Joystick support worked for a while fine (e.g. via the KMJ emulator), I tried it now again as I got a new support ticket to test stuff with and get no longer any reaction of the SpaceMouse either in the Joystick control panel (joy.cpl) or in the application. I changed nothing before to get it working, and I changed nothing now before it stopped. The SM is still working fine in cad applications (I use Inventor Pro reguarly) and a function test in Firefox is also going fine, just the joystick functionality somehow... stopped responding again. I see the device in the joy cpl, but no axis move as I move the puck. Is there any way to "force" feeding into the joystick emulator? (I saw older forum posts about using an external application, but it worked for me fine for a while with the emulator! Besides, I cannot force anything via an xml config file, as the avionic software which is interpreting the joystick input is not running in the foreground as active window, and the xmls seem to be activate on active window, correct?)
jwick

Re: Joystick functionality fluctuating

Post by jwick »

I'm not aware of anything being broken.

The cfg in use is tied to application focus, but there are ways around this.
You can set the Grab value to have the driver only use your file and not follow the kb focus. (I'll help you with that)

You will need to make a cfg for the application executable. Possibly you had this from your previous usage.
I don't think we ship a cfg for joy.cpl any more, so I wouldn't expect it to be detected.

While your application is running, hover the mouse over the 3Dx systray icon. It should indicate that your application is detected and will list the cfg file in use.

Turn on the log file (RMB over 3Dx systray icon -> Write Log File). This writes what the driver is doing into: %localappdata%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxService.log.

If it is sending joystick events to your app, you will see hundreds/thousands of lines listing this in the log file. If you use a program like baretail, you can see what is going on live in the file.