3Dxware conflict with VRchat in specfic condition

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

BoiledHairDryer

3Dxware conflict with VRchat in specfic condition

Post by BoiledHairDryer »

Hi,I'm playing with vrchat recently with my spacemouse pro connected and 3Dxware running.I run VRchat in desktop mode(nonVR) and have no VR device connected.Problem is that when I open the menu in the game(Esc - gear icon for example)the menu will keep scrolling up preventing me scrolling it down with my mouse.I tried stop 3Dxware and restart VRchat and problem solved.So I confirmed it has something to do with 3Dxware.
After more tests,I found a wired solution,expand the system tray and problem gone can also solve the problem until vrchat restart.
after test more completely,I have this results:
With 3Dxware is not running and start VRchat,everthing is fine
With 3Dxware running and start vrchat:
menu keep scrolling up until expand the system tray
stop 3Dxware while game is runing doesn't solve the problem at the moment until the game is restarted or just expand the system tray without game restart.

I don't know if this bug is worth fixing because it seems has something to do with windows,but it may affect other apps in the same way.

I'm using:
Windows 10 Pro for Workstation 21H2 22000.739
cpu:AMD Ryzen 5600x
gpu:NVIDIA 3080
RAM:16G
BoiledHairDryer

Re: 3Dxware conflict with VRchat in specfic condition

Complement to the test result:
Expanding rhe system tray without 3Dxware stopped won't fix the problem permently,it will occuer after restart the game.
luping

Post by luping »

Spacemouse pro is a device for work, it's not for gaming environment. I don't know if your employer will fire you if you play game in the office during working hours...
BoiledHairDryer

luping wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:00 am Spacemouse pro is a device for work, it's not for gaming environment. I don't know if your employer will fire you if you play game in the office during working hours...
For some reason,I'm using spacemouse at my home now.
jwick

Post by jwick »

I suspect it is VRchat trying to do something with our emulated joystick.
Our emulated Throttle axis seems to often be misinterpreted.

You might see a reference to it in the VRchat control panel (I assume there is one).

You can disable the KMJ joystick in the windows Device Manager to see if that is it.
Omniflux

Post by Omniflux »

This is not limited to VRChat, it occurs with other VR software using Oculus Link/Oculus Air Link as well.

The USB port my SpaceMouse is connected to is not easily accessible, so every time I use Oculus Link I do this
  • Launch software on Oculus
  • Remove headset
  • 3Dx systray icon->RMB->Open 3Dconnexion Settings->Advanced Settings->Close->Close
  • Put on headset
  • Use software
jwick

Post by jwick »

There is a similar problem with Unity.
Which brings me to the question, are either of these apps using the Unity engine?
Omniflux

Post by Omniflux »

I just checked a few, and yes it looks like they are all Unity based.
jwick

Post by jwick »

These are probably using the old Input Manager. You may need to change the "Get Motion from all Joysticks" option on some (all) Axes definitions.
I didn't find a disable/remove.
Possibly Mouse ScrollWheel is enough. I remapped all of them.

The easiest way to do this is to change the InputManager.asset file. Do this while Unity is NOT running, or it will rewrite them.

Change all the
joyNum: 0
where I assume 0 means all and 1 would mean the first joystick found.
I changed them to:
joyNum: 10
jwick

Post by jwick »

I see the errant scrolling in the vrchat->Settings dialog.

You can stop it by disabling the 3Dx KMJ joystick. Do this with the device mgr.

->Human Interface Devices
->HID-compliant game controller which has: Properties->Details->Device instance path=HID/3DXKMJ_HIDMINI&COL03... (check the Device instance path if you have > 1)
->Properties->Driver->Disable Device

I'm sure there are also vrchat/steam files (.vdf?) that would reassign/unassign the values, but I don't know what they are.

This disables the joystick system-wide, in case you were trying to use it in any other games.
BoiledHairDryer

jwick wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:33 am I see the errant scrolling in the vrchat->Settings dialog.

You can stop it by disabling the 3Dx KMJ joystick. Do this with the device mgr.

->Human Interface Devices
->HID-compliant game controller which has: Properties->Details->Device instance path=HID/3DXKMJ_HIDMINI&COL03... (check the Device instance path if you have > 1)
->Properties->Driver->Disable Device

I'm sure there are also vrchat/steam files (.vdf?) that would reassign/unassign the values, but I don't know what they are.

This disables the joystick system-wide, in case you were trying to use it in any other games.
That worked,thx!
BTW,corrected what I said earlier,it has nothing to do with system tray,just simply clicked anywhere besides the game will fix.but switch to another app and back again will bring the bug again.