Space Navigator 3d mouse to work as MIDI

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

KonstantinosF

Space Navigator 3d mouse to work as MIDI

Post by KonstantinosF » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:17 am

Hi there, I have the Space Navigator 3d mouse and I am looking to use it also as MIDI controller except of CAD navigation. I have found this site
with a driver RBC9, the VST 3DMIDIGator and tutorial how to install:
https://www.3amnoise.net/runagate/Space ... su2iWGuYUw

I followed the instructions, I installed the driver and the VST, all open but does not work. I must have done something not right with driver installation because when I open the RBC9 program it says: RBC9 Space driver - ! Space navigator not found !.

Anyone can help with more detailed instructions how to install the driver?
Also in the tutorial it says first I need to de-activate the 3d-Connection driver to install the RBC9 driver but I can not find how.

Finally I want to express my wish for an official driver for using Space navigator - 3d mouse as MIDI controller.

Thanks!

Phil999

Re: Space Navigator 3d mouse to work as MIDI

Post by Phil999 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:38 pm

to stop the driver, there should be an entry in the 3Dconnexion Start Menu, 'Stop 3DxWare'. Maybe it works after that.
Space Navigator x2, Space Pilot, Space Pilot Pro, SpaceMouse Enterprise

jwick

Post by jwick » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:14 am

I think you should be able to use the joystick mode of the 3DxWinCore driver in place of the RBC9 driver. IIRC, he converted the 3D mouse data into joystick data. The driver can now do that.

Is there src available for this 3DxMIDIGator.dll?

I'd like to add MIDI output to the 3DxWinCore driver, but I don't have a clue what it looks like (but bits are bits).
A few people have done their own implementations with interesting results.

Phil999

Post by Phil999 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:53 pm

I also think that using the official driver with joystick mode, together with a Joystick-MIDI converter, is the better option.

I think that I used RBC9 for a while, and Space Navigator as MIDI controller, but I don't remember anymore. I don't think the Space Navigator is a good MIDI controller anyway. A real joystick (for flight sims) is better in my opinion, easier to configure. For some years I used a simple passive joystick (one that doesn't have springs) together with a Doepfer Drehbank controller to perform quad panning in Cubase. Which I then soon replaced with tablet MIDI controller apps (TouchOSC, Lemur, Konkreet Performer, TC-Data, etc.) in 2012, which are much more versatile and easy to setup.
Space Navigator x2, Space Pilot, Space Pilot Pro, SpaceMouse Enterprise

KonstantinosF

Post by KonstantinosF » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:44 am

Thanks for the answers! I will see again soon what I can do to setup it and make it work and the solutions you suggest. I am interested for this and not for a regular flight-simulation joystick because I can have 6 axis in one hand. I am also interested if I can develop in the future something similar with even more parameters to control for use in music or any other application, for now I do not have the knowledge for this, just some ideas springing in my head.

acoufhaine

Post by acoufhaine » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:42 am

Hello !

Have you find any option to make it worl as surround panner midi remote in 2020 ?

I would like to do it with cubase 10 / Windows 10 64bit with binaural panner (who need 6 axis)

Thanks for help !

Best !