How do I ID a Space Mouse with no serial number sticker?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Donste2021CAD

How do I ID a Space Mouse with no serial number sticker?

Post by Donste2021CAD »

Hi All,
Newbie on here! :D I bout a SM used, and it does not have a sticker on the bottom, it seems to be an older one so I would like to verify that I have the proper driver (it does act a little weird). Is there any way to ID what model your SpaceMouse is by looking at it through the computer?

TIA
jwick

Re: How do I ID a Space Mouse with no serial number sticker?

Post by jwick »

Assuming it is a USB device, the Device Manager should give you a better name (under Human Interface Devices) when you plug it in.
Donste2021CAD

Post by Donste2021CAD »

OK here is what I get, I think I need to delete some of these that were put in by MicroSoft?

Thanks
Attachments
Screenshot 3D Connexion 2021-05-21.png
Screenshot 3D Connexion 2021-05-21.png (36.39 KiB) Viewed 16309 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Donste2021CAD wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:51 am OK here is what I get,
You have a SpaceNavigator.

As I write this, the latest driver still supports this device type but this is likely to change towards the end of the year (see here).
I think I need to delete some of these that were put in by MicroSoft?
No need. Those items are all expected (and are added by system when a device is connected).
Nuno Gomes
Donste2021CAD

Post by Donste2021CAD »

Thanks Nuno :) , so what is my proper driver then? I don't see SpaceNavigator in the supported devices in the latest driver notes...
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Donste2021CAD wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:45 am so what is my proper driver then?
Version 10.7.3, released today (May 21) and available from here.
I don't see SpaceNavigator in the supported devices in the latest driver notes...
I don't know what exactly you're looking at but the PDF with the releases notes lists "SpaceNavigator" in section 3.3 on page 4.
Donste2021CAD

Post by Donste2021CAD »

I think that is working, thanks! :D
Donste2021CAD

Post by Donste2021CAD »

Hi Nuno,
OK so here is what it has been doing, it is basically reversing some of the settings on it's own, most notably the twisting of the cap (from the top view) and tilting of the cap forwards and backwards, one minute its working and the next few minutes it's backwards, maybe about 10 minutes at a time, I go into settings and reverse those 2 things, and it works for the same 10 minutes or so, and then reverses again, so I restore defaults and it works for another 10 min etc. The first thing I am thinking of is to roll back the driver, maybe to a driver that is SpaceNavigator specific? I am hoping to get a brand new one soon, but I am not sure when...

Thanks

Don
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Donste2021CAD wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:58 pm it is basically reversing some of the settings on it's own, most notably the twisting of the cap (from the top view) and tilting of the cap forwards and backwards, one minute its working and the next few minutes it's backwards, maybe about 10 minutes at a time, I go into settings and reverse those 2 things, and it works for the same 10 minutes or so
The settings are application-specific: when you revert the axis, they apply only to the application currently being used. You will see the name of the application on the panel's title.
The first thing I am thinking of is to roll back the driver, maybe to a driver that is SpaceNavigator specific? I am hoping to get a brand new one soon, but I am not sure when...
We have an integrated drivers for all devices. In other words, there was never a SpaceNavigator-specific driver.

You probably will want to have a word with our Technical Support team (contact details here).
Donste2021CAD

Post by Donste2021CAD »

Thanks Nuno,
I am sorry for not clarifying, but all of the things we've talked about are taking place in AutoCAD 2020 ver 1.4, I will get with Tech Support...

Thanks,

Don
Donste2021CAD

Post by Donste2021CAD »

Also, it is AutoCAD 2020 coupled with CADWorx Plant Professional 2020, do you think CADWorx may be causing the problems?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Donste2021CAD wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:38 am Also, it is AutoCAD 2020 coupled with CADWorx Plant Professional 2020, do you think CADWorx may be causing the problems?
I don't know.

If you haven't yet done so, please try reaching out my colleagues in Technical Support. They're a nice, helpful bunch of people.
Donste2021CAD

Post by Donste2021CAD »

Hi Nuno,
How are you? Hey, I haven’t gotten with tech support yet, but I have discovered something that has solved like 99% of my problem. In AutoCAD, in the navigation bar (usually in the upper right of the screen), you can pull down an arrow in the bottom of the navigation bar, and check the 3DConnexion box, this will allow you to access the AutoCAD settings for 3DConnexion devices, go into 3DConnexion settings, and uncheck Keep Scene Upright. I believe this is what had my SpaceNavigator kind of “fighting with itself”. I haven’t messed with any of the modes so I’m not sure what they do. I hope this will help you and all who have this issue…

ACAD 3DConnexion Settings 01.jpg
ACAD 3DConnexion Settings 01.jpg (15.13 KiB) Viewed 14408 times
ACAD 3DConnexion Settings 02.jpg
ACAD 3DConnexion Settings 02.jpg (13.86 KiB) Viewed 14408 times
ACAD 3DConnexion Settings 03.jpg
ACAD 3DConnexion Settings 03.jpg (25.9 KiB) Viewed 14408 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Donste2021CAD wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:11 am [...] I have discovered something that has solved like 99% of my problem. In AutoCAD,[...] uncheck Keep Scene Upright. I believe this is what had my SpaceNavigator kind of “fighting with itself”.
The "Keep Scene Upright" is a feature of AutoCAD to ensure a 3D model like a house is kept oriented in an intuitive way (ground is kept aligned with the horizon). Perhaps you're expecting to "roll" the view (which would cause the "house" to be rolled on its side, showing the horizon at an angle).
Donste2021CAD

Post by Donste2021CAD »

I'm just trying to zoom and rotate in the model space mostly...