Draftsight zooming bug

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

MeksuJani

Draftsight zooming bug

Post by MeksuJani »

Hi,

I have had an issue for years with 3DConnexion spacemouse and Draftsight. The problem is that in theory you could edit the moving directions in advanced settings, but in practice its always bugged.

Example:
I want Spacemouse to behave the same it behaves in Solidworks drawing environment: You push forward, drawing goes further = zoom out and when you pull to yourself, it zoom in. You move to right, drawing moves right and so on.

No matter what settings I use, some of the directions gets reversed everytime, see the attached files. If I manage to get the zoom to work properly, Up/Down movement gets reversed. If I get Up/Down movement to work properly, the zoom gets reversed.

I have tried every single possible combination in the settings with 3 different computers and with multiple different versions during my career as an engineer and this problem has been there always. For a while we had Autocad as 2D program and with that spacemouse worked properly.

This whole thing wouldnt be a problem if I had to use only one of these programs, Draftsight or Solidworks, but I have to switch between them on daily basis, so basically I cant use the spacemouse with draftsight because it behaves wrong and it cant be fixed in settings.
Attachments
draftsight_pic.png
draftsight_pic.png (47.35 KiB) Viewed 48686 times
UtaSH

Re: Draftsight zooming bug

Post by UtaSH »

Hi MeksuJani,

which version of Draftsight do you have?
Which driver version do you have installed?

Please check if removing the user-specific configuration file for Draftsight and starting with the default would make a difference.
  • Close Draftsight.
  • Navigate to the folder %APPDATA%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg. (Usually C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg.)
  • Remove the file DraftSight.xml. (Or move it to a different location.)
  • Start Draftsight and check the navigation.
Let me know what you find out.
MeksuJani

Post by MeksuJani »

Hi UtaSH, thank you for your reply.

I am using Drafsight version 2020 SP1.
I am using the newest 3DConnexion drivers available.

I had file named "DraftSight_S80.xml" in the folder you described and deleted that. After the deletion I had to make the settings again, but the same bug still appears. No matter what settings I use, one of the movements gets reversed and it is not behaving the same as in SolidWorks.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi MekseJani,

would you please contact our Technical Support Team? Once the team replies back please provide a 3DxDiag file. Please proceed as follows:
  • Right click the 3Dconnexion icon in the system tray and select "Write Log file" (if it is not yet activated).
  • Stop the driver (Windows -> Start -> All Apps -> 3Dconnexion -> Stop Driver).
  • Next start the driver (Windows -> Start -> All Apps -> 3Dconnexion -> Start Driver).
  • Open the the CadMouse Settings window. Note the time of your system and how you opened it.
  • In case you get an error please make a screenshot.
  • Press the Shift button and hold and right click the 3Dconnexion icon. Select "Run Diagnostics".
  • In the window of the 3Dconnexion Diagnostics Tool click "Collect System Information ...".
  • This will take a few minutes and at the end an Explorer window will open at %TEMP\3Dconnexion\3DxDiag. You will find there a zip file that you should either send to the Support Team or provide a location where it can be dowloaded in case it is too large to send via email.
TDC

Post by TDC »

Hi Guys, I face the same problem. Did you ever got this fixed?
aalsalihi

Post by aalsalihi »

Hi TDC,

We had an open bug WIN-446 for Draftsight 2019 issue with driver 10.6.2 and got resolved with driver 10.6.3
The current driver on our website is 10.7.4. Did you try installing this driver to see if it functioning?
Have you tried doing cleaning for driver configuration? Sometimes if you update from one driver to another, some configurations get corrupted in which you would need to do cleaning to test it. Here's an FAQ for that https://3dconnexion.com/us/support/faq/ ... n-windows/

If its still an issue then generate a log file and contact our Technical Support Team via phone here https://3dconnexion.com/us/support/# via email here https://3dconnexion.com/us/support-request/

Regards,
Abdul. A
TDC

Post by TDC »

Thank you very much for your answer. I will try to see if I can fix it following your instructions. 3D Connection is a great tool, works perfect with our Fusion 360 and Inventor, now we try to use in on DraftSight and discovered this little bug. Back soon...
jwick

Post by jwick »

Which version of DraftSight.
There was a significant change at version 19.
You will have issues if you go back and forth between 19+ and pre-19.
fruiz

Post by fruiz »

Hello,

We are experiencing the same issue with one of our devices and draftsight 2020. Did you ever got a reply from support on this? Was this fixed on your end?

Thank you!
fruiz

Post by fruiz »

Hello,

Was this ever fixed? Did you find a solution? Thank you!
Georro

Post by Georro »

It's a little bit jerky when zooming but this is the solution I've found for now to mimic the behavior that the OP mentioned in Solidworks.

Add the axis definitions below into your DraftSight_S80.xml file under the <AxisBank> section.

You can set your rotation axes to disabled first if you don't want to rotate your 2D work. I've noticed that the XML file gets modified on the fly when you press the lock rotation button (Space Mouse Enterprise) so that's a little annoying because it seems to reset some of the axis definitions below (maybe just train yourself not to push that button in Draftsight?).

Code: Select all

<Axis>
          <Enabled>true</Enabled>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Y</ActionID>
            <Min>-512</Min>
            <Max>511</Max>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>HIDMouse_Wheel</ActionID>
            <Reversed>True</Reversed>
          </Output>
        </Axis>
        <Axis>
          <Enabled>true</Enabled>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Z</ActionID>
            <Min>-512</Min>
            <Max>511</Max>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Z</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Axis>
        <Axis>
          <Enabled>true</Enabled>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_X</ActionID>
            <Min>-512</Min>
            <Max>511</Max>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_X</ActionID>
            <Reversed>true</Reversed>
          </Output>
        </Axis>
Georro

Post by Georro »

Also, since it appears I can't edit my own post, the part I changed was to define the Y axis output as a "HIDMouse_Wheel". That's why you get the step-like input rather than the nice smooth axis zooming we would like. To ensure that the pull toward = zoom in make sure your DraftSight settings for mouse are set to reverse the zoom direction (OPTIONS > USER PREFERENCES > MOUSE OPTIONS > OPTIONS)
jwick

Post by jwick »

I might be wrong, but I don't think you want to change the axis to emulate the mouse wheel.
If you just want to rearrange the axes, you can do that in the XML. E.g., Input(Y)->Output(Z) or whatever you want to do.
This is what the Zoom Direction radio button in the GUI does.
Georro

Post by Georro »

I might be wrong, but I don't think you want to change the axis to emulate the mouse wheel.
If you just want to rearrange the axes, you can do that in the XML. E.g., Input(Y)->Output(Z) or whatever you want to do.
This is what the Zoom Direction radio button in the GUI does.
I'm inclined to agree, however the reversal of the zoom axis seems to ignore the below syntax in the XML which was the basis for the thread

Code: Select all

There's likely something going on in the 3dx add-in within DraftSight that prevents us from doing what we want. I will continue to experiment with settings but in the meantime the workaround I posted above does work, albeit with the zoom being a little jerky.
jwick

Post by jwick »

XML is case sensitive. If that isn't a typo, it must be lower case (true).