SpaceMouse Pro and an old SpacePilot

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

DaveK

SpaceMouse Pro and an old SpacePilot

Post by DaveK »

I have driver version 10.7.2.3314 installed, on a windows 10 laptop. Everything works fine with the SpaceMouse Pro, but I would like to get it to work with my older SpacePilot, so I don't have to drag the SpaceMouse Pro back and fourth from work.

When I plug the SpacePilot in, it lights up, Windows tells me it's setting up the device and the device is ready, but it doesn't work, and it doesn't show up in the 3Dconnexion properties drop down.

Is this possible to do?
luping

Re: SpaceMouse Pro and an old SpacePilot

Post by luping »

It's out of support for SpacePilot, that is to say, you have to invest on a new SpaceMouse model, e.g. a second SpaceMouse Pro. Be noticed that here I use the word 'invest', not 'buy'.
aalsalihi

Post by aalsalihi »

Hi DaveK,

The last known driver to function with the SpacePilot on Win10 is driver 10.4.10
Any other driver you installed will not work with the SpacePilot unfortunately

You can try checking the release documents for each driver as such 10.7.2 in which you will see the SpacePilot is not a supported device anymore.

Regards,
Abdul. A
drkieffer

Post by drkieffer »

Sorry about the username/login change, the one I posted with originally was tied to a former employer, and I couldn't get it edited.

Anyway...I'm not going to replace my personal SpacePilot, so...are you saying I can roll the driver back to 10.4.10, and both units will work on this machine?
-Dave
Siemens NX12 with Windchill
SpaceMouse Pro and CADmouse (and a SpacePilot!)
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Dave,

The black & white (black & blue-ish) LCD SpacePilot? Or the SpacePilot Pro (color LCD)?
drkieffer

Post by drkieffer »

Hey Jim,

The black and blue. I have it working now, with the 10.4.10 driver. Next step is to test with the SpaceMouse Pro, which it listed in the properties menu, but would not operate while the SpacePilot was plugged in, which didn't surprise me. End of the day today, I plan to shut down, swap devices, and see how things work in the morning, since that will be the basic scenario of working from home vs. working at the office.

Hope all is well Jim!

-Dave
-Dave
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hey Dave,

Great device. Really old! But so am I.

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like 10.4.1 supported both the SpacePilot and the SpaceMouse Pro. The readme.txt file should have an accurate list.

If they are both supported, you should be able to have one, both, or the other, connected randomly. You should not have to reboot. Just plug-n-play. But you will need to clean out the new system device driver first. There may be some manual steps required here. The system generally doesn't automatically delete device drivers "just in case it needs it".

There have been a few changes in the cfg file format since then though. You will need to delete your user cfg files from the latest driver and start over. I can try to backmerge them for you if that is a big hassle.

The other option is to swap back and forth between the versions as you go between work and home. It wouldn't be pretty, but you may be able to just copy files, rather than run the installer.

Jim
drkieffer

Post by drkieffer »

I'm really only concerned about each device working, when I plug in at either location, so I'm going to test that scenario, and if it works, I'm calling it good.

Speaking of old, the first device I ever used was a Spaceball 2003. Heck, I'd still be trying to use my Spaceball 5000, if I would have had the usb version, but the serial port shortage on new pc's forced me to snag this used SpacePilot back in 2010.
-Dave
drkieffer

Post by drkieffer »

Just an update. Things appear to be working ok. I did have the driver crash once yesterday, but once I restarted no problem. This morning I got a script error of some sort, clicked ok, and no issue since. Both issues occurred while the SpaceMouse Pro was plugged in.
-Dave
jwick

Post by jwick »

Good to hear (read).

Being stuck in 2016 you won't get new driver features & fixes. I don't recall a lot of bug fixes, but there has been a lot of work done exporting commands and icons from applications in the intervening years. The controller should work fine.
drkieffer

Post by drkieffer »

Understood. As long as I have motion control, I should be good. Once we see how this home/work situation plays out, I may invest in a SpaceMouse Compact for at home.

Thanks!
-Dave
stellagreen

Post by stellagreen »

This is out of support for SpacePilot, i.e. you have to invest on a newer SpaceMouse model, e.g. A second SpaceMouse Pro. Note that here I use the word 'invest', not 'buy'.
drkieffer

Post by drkieffer »

@jwick first day going back to the office, and the only issue with the SpaceMouse Pro, is an error message that popped up when I first turned on the laptop, I assume a result of the driver starting. I thought I got a screen cap, but apparently I didn't...message referenced "LCD" in one of the first lines, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the old SpacePilot's lcd, and the SpaceMouse Pro not having one? I didn't set anything special to display in the lcd, set buttons, etc., leaving it the default.

Motion control is find, and other buttons seem to be functioning as expected.
-Dave
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Dave,

Nothing comes to mind.
The log file may have a message. Turn logging on (3Dx systray icon) and send me the log file if you get a message tomorrow morning.

Jim