3DxWare stopped unexpectedly

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

smthu

Re: 3DxWare stopped unexpectedly

Post by smthu »

Hi.
I posted the original post here, but weren't able to access my old account, so I had to create a new one...
I was just notified that there was a new driver for my SpaceMouse Pro Wireless - and silly me went straight ahead and upgraded it for no reason other than wanting to have the "latest and greatest". Now I'm stuck with a driver that doesn't work. I keep getting the "3DxWare stopped unexpectedly" and it doesn't help to restart it manually, because it instantly shuts down again, rendering my SpaceMouse Pro Wireless more or less useless at the moment.

I saw that deleting an xml-file had helped previously, but that didn't do the trick this time, so now I need some advice on how to proceed. I also raised a ticket with the 3DConnexion support, but I don't know how long it will take for them to address and fix the problem.

I hope some of you guys have an idea on what to do. I don't have access to the old driver that used to work, but if some of you have the previous one just "laying around" I would be very happy if you could share it somehow.

Best regards

Stig M. Thu
Frustrated Mechanical Engineer.
jwick

Post by jwick »

smthu,

Try using it with the USB cable. There is a problem with the old device-specific wireless dongle.
There will be an update released shortly.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jim
smthu

Post by smthu »

Oh, thank you very much. I'll give that a go then. Thanks again.

Best regards

Stig M.
ajb

Post by ajb »

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your swift reply!
I tried with the USB cable and now it works. :D

To other users that can't live without "wireless": One can start using USB cable shortly and then remove cable continuing wireless:
- Start using the USB cable (on/off switch of Wireless SpaceMouse in off position and no dongle inserted).
- start your program in which you want to work.
- insert the dongle in PC
- remove usb cable
- switch on Wireless SpaceMouse
--> it keeps on working

@ Jim: FYI, (but I guess the problem is quite good know by 3DConnection).
Software versions: 3DxWare: 10.8.2.3385 & 3DxWinCore: 17.8.2.18845
Device: SpaceMouse Wireless (FW: 4.39) P/N: 3DX-600044
Just surprised that you call it "very old ...". Then I feel like a fossil, because i haven't the feeling that I bought is sooo long ago.. :lol:
Anyhow, thanks for your help and I'm looking forward to the update release.

Jan
smthu

Post by smthu »

Thanks guys. I tested with the USB cable and the wireless shut off and now it's working.

BR

Stig M.
jwick

Post by jwick »

ajb,

Not very old? I thought once we had the Universal Receiver, we were going to always ship that instead of the original device-specific receivers. I'm probably wrong.

Your workaround is clever. It is mostly a problem at app and driver initialization time.
You probably would have to do that dongle dance at the start of each 3D app.
ajb

Post by ajb »

jwick wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:13 am ...
You probably would have to do that dongle dance at the start of each 3D app.
Yep!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

We're tracking this as bug WIN-937 and we're including a fix in v. 10.8.3 of 3DxWare 10.

We expect to make the software available before the end of next week (Oct 22nd).
Nuno Gomes
ben_r_

Post by ben_r_ »

ngomes wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:29 am We're tracking this as bug WIN-937 and we're including a fix in v. 10.8.3 of 3DxWare 10.

We expect to make the software available before the end of next week (Oct 22nd).
Awesome! I just started having the issue with Solidworks 2021 today after upgrading from 10.7.4 to 10.8.2 and its been SUUUUUUUPER annoying. It does appear to not crash while using the 3D SpaceMouse via wired, but that seems to mess up the input and none of the movements are correct in the applications I use it in.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

ben_r_ wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:37 pm using the 3D SpaceMouse via wired, but that seems to mess up the input and none of the movements are correct in the applications I use it in.
Using a wireless SpaceMouse over cable should offer the same level of performance. If the movement is not what you expect, disconnect the device and connect it back to the very same port. Alternatively, reboot the system. Make sure you don't use an extension cord nor an external hub (these are notorious for how unreliable they can be).
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Version 10.8.3 of our Windows software was published earlier today, Oct 21. The new software can downloaded from here.

Our apologies to all affected customers, especially those of you using a legacy receiver for the SpaceMouse Wireless or SpaceMouse Pro Wireless.
ben_r_

Post by ben_r_ »

ngomes wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:16 am Version 10.8.3 of our Windows software was published earlier today, Oct 21. The new software can downloaded from here.

Our apologies to all affected customers, especially those of you using a legacy receiver for the SpaceMouse Wireless or SpaceMouse Pro Wireless.
That seemed to do the trick. Everything seems to be back to normal.

Regarding the "legacy receiver", I was unaware there had been an upgrade to the USB dongle that comes with the Wireless SpaceMouse. What advantage does the new one bring and is it possible to upgrade to the new receiver or does one have to buy a new/current version of the SpaceMouse?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

ben_r_ wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:42 am That seemed to do the trick. Everything seems to be back to normal.
Thank you for the confirmation, ben_r_.
Regarding the "legacy receiver", [...]. What advantage does the new one bring and is it possible to upgrade to the new receiver or does one have to buy a new/current version of the SpaceMouse?
The current wireless products ship with a "Universal Receiver". The main advantage compared to a "legacy" device is it can pair up to five devices, freeing up USB ports when wirelessly using both a CadMouse and a SpaceMouse, say. If all you have is a single wireless product, then there's no real advantage.
ben_r_

Post by ben_r_ »

Well, looks like it 10.8.3 did not fix my issues. I just cant get anything but erratic control in Solidworks 2021 SP1 and it doesnt matter if the SpaceMouse is connected wired or wireless. I ended up uninstalling and going back to 10.7.4 and everything works perfectly again. Sometimes it just doesnt pay to "upgrade" and leaving well enough alone is better.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi ben_r_,

Did you notice if the device was jerky in all applications or just Solidworks?

Jim