Navigation Problem !

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

chrisman

Navigation Problem !

Post by chrisman »

Hello,

I've got a strange issue with SpaceTraveler and Maya since I bought it six months ago.

Here it is the problem:
I don't know about other 3D design applications, but I work with Maya.
Maya uses (for sure) Focal Point navigation when you work with mouse (or pen tablet as I do) and when you zoom in or out focal point stays exactly where it was set (f.e framed object) and it can be translated left, right, up, down only.
The problem with 3Dconnextion driver is that when you zoom in or out it moves the Focal Point with the camera in and out, which makes navigation very hard to work. And this is something very general it's not only with my computer. I've tested on several computers.

This problem is our for 6 months already, I even created a simple movie clip explaining the problem more clearly at
http://www.xmd.be/tmp/

Yestarday somebody from the support team called to inform me for the newest driver that already support Maya 8 and to give it a try - The PROBLEM is still the same. Although using Object/Scene navigation with the new driver is a little better now.

To generalize - Using Focal Pint navigation should NOT zoom in or out the rotation point with the camera instead it should stay where it is set and only be translated.

what do you think ? is it so difficult to fix that problem?

and I would like to know what other Maya users think about it.

Thanks for the help.
----------------------
Live while you live!
mbonk

Post by mbonk »

Hi Chrisman,

The 3D device has two modes of operation in a maya 3D view, depending whether the 'fly' option is checked or not.

With the 'fly' option unchecked, the camera is treated as a target camera. In this mode the tumble pivot is fixed in 3d space which only allows the view camera to rotate and move in the z-axis. This why one cannot select a rotation pivot.

With the fly option checked the camera becomes a free camera and can navigate freely in 3D space. In this mode the focus point, center of interest, stays constant relative to camera space.

In neither mode does the camera zoom in a perspective view: it moves.

With the above in mind I would suggest that you try the mode with the 'fly' option unchecked when you would like the focus point to stay fixed and see if that helps resolve the issue.

Markus
chrisman

:)

Post by chrisman »

I think you don't realy understand what I'm talking about.

Did you tried that with Maya before posting the answer ??

Why do I need to turn the Fly mode OFF since normal Maya navigation is in Fly mode with no constrains in movement. It is just an additionala option that always stays ON.

Let me go over the options again
I assume that View is set to camera (since its the standart)
now Rotation pivot is important -
Camera/View - rotation pivot is at the center of the camera and going arround objects is very hard. it is usefull for animation or some effects but not for standard work/modeling.
Scene/Object - Cool, pivot point is at the center of the selected object...What will happen if you are working on tiny object 30 point away from the center and deselect the object then try to look arround it ???? - Camera automaticaly rotates at the center of the scene and you are totaly lost in the space. - Try it, it's fun...

It's good to have lot's of options but as I see none of my friends every used them.

and ofcourse we got to the option Focal Point - This is the NATIVE way of Maya navigation and it's working fine BUT the simple thing you need to fix is when the tool is used to zoom in/our (translate in/out, when you go closer to object and far away) - the pivot point should NOT move with the camera in space !

That's it , and probably needs only several lines of coding.

Don't get me wrong - I like Space Traveler, it's realy fabulous toy and this problem with the navigation in Maya keeps away from becoming an incredibly usefull tool !!!
----------------------
Live while you live!
mbonk

Post by mbonk »

Would you please explain what the issue is with switching off fly mode and then using 'f' or button 8 (assuming fit is mapped to that button) to center a selected object onto the focal point?

Markus
chrisman

:)

Post by chrisman »

Switching off "Fly mode" disables you to translate the camera ! and You don't want that couse you always, always need to translate the camera ! and If you work with Maya just a little a bit you'll know that !
I don't see myself paying additional attention when to switch Fly mode on or off - I need to concetrate on the work. (better to use Object/Scene, atleast you can translete camera with fixed pivot point)

Fly mode option is off the topic

Simple life facts: you are in art gallery, standing 5 ft in front of a Artwork, your point of interest is that artwork and you can walk arround freely, also you can look at the artwokrs to the left or right... then you go 70 ft away and you're point of interest(focal point) still will be the last Artwork, not something imaginary in the air 5 ft in front of you !

And as I said - Fly mode ON - Focal Point - This is the NATIVE way of Maya navigation and it's working fine BUT the simple thing you need to fix is when the tool is used to zoom in/our (translate in/out, when you go closer to object and far away) - the pivot point should NOT move with the camera in space !

Thank you for the support!
----------------------
Live while you live!