SpacePilot affects FocalLength upon movement

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

JPArtwork

SpacePilot affects FocalLength upon movement

Post by JPArtwork »

After setting a VrayPhysCam, and locking it into place, on occasion I have bumped my desk or the like that caused the SpacePilot to move just barely. I hit Undo and continue my work as normal.

However, today I finally discovered that the focal length of the camera doesn't revert back to its original setting upon hitting Undo. Instead, the value goes down below the original setting. If it was at 40.0, it now is 39.954.

Because of this minor shift, it goes unnoticed. After I finish rendering, all of my masking layers to color correct various items in the scene don't line up anymore, and I have to re-render.

My solution has been to have the camera saved in a separate Max file, then merge it in when I am absolutely ready to hit render. I don't see why I have to go through this roundabout when the focal length should not be affected.

There is a Dolly Camera tool in max that, when the stick is pushed straight forward, it should move the camera as if it were on a Dolly and not adjust the Focal Length. The FL does NOT register in Max as an action and therefore cannot be undone without physically typing the original value.

Anyone else have suggestions? Can I change the SpacePilot operation to use the Dolly Tool instead of adjusting the Focal Length? Using the Dolly Camera tool manually does NOT affect the Focal Length.