Adobe Acrobat Reader DC - does not work with 3D mouse?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

mhoopes

Adobe Acrobat Reader DC - does not work with 3D mouse?

Post by mhoopes »

I have been using Adobe Reader XI for some time now, and it has worked will with my Space Mouse Pro and SpaceNavigator using 3DxWare 10.2.3. From my experience, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (the latest incarnation) doesn't appear to support them. Is this truly the case?

Thanks,

Mike
Michael Hoopes
UtaSH

Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader DC - does not work with 3D mouse?

Post by UtaSH »

Hi mhoopes,

sorry for the trouble. We are tracking this issue with our internal bug number #6919.
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

Hi again - I just installed the latest 10.2.8 driver, and Adobe Reader DC 2015-008.20082. My Space Mouse Pro is mostly unresponsive in Reader DC, though it sometimes will emulate the mouse wheel (in Reader DC), if MS Outlook 2013 is also open.
It's working fine in Altium Designer.

The Release Notes for 10.2.8 state "New: Add support for version DC of Adobe Acrobat and Acrobat Reader." Could you tell me how I can implement it?

Thanks,

Mike
Michael Hoopes
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Mike,

it might be that a configuration file is stopping the new feature. Go to %APPDATA%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg and remove the corresponding XML file.

Let me know if this solves the issue.

Thanks,
MikeSkiSnow

Post by MikeSkiSnow »

Hi Uta

Another Mike here.

I deleted the XML, then restored it from the Recycle Bin and my Space Pilot Pro now allows me to zoom and move pdfs within Adobe Acrobat Pro DC.

This also works with 3D pdfs but unfortunately I cannot rotate the 3D pdf using the Space Pilot, is this normal?
The rotations button on the Space Pilot is turned on.

Michael
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Michael,

do you have the latest driver installed? It is 3Dxware 10.2.8 for Windows. You can get it here.
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

UtaSH,

I did have 10.2.8 installed. I hadn't tried deleting C:\Users\mhoopes\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\AdobeReader.xml at the time. I didn't see another relevant xml file in the other AppData subfolders.

I just installed 10.2.9, then deleted AdobeReader.xml. Reader DC still only emulated the mouse wheel, and only in certain circumstances (click in an Outlook or Windows Explorer window, then go back to Reader DC). I re-installed 10.2.9 ("Repair"), but I had the same result. I then restored AdobeReader.xml from the Recycle Bin, but that didn't change anything.

Mike
Michael Hoopes
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

Ok, I think I figured out how to fix this. I found a post in the Adobe user forums (https://forums.adobe.com/thread/983893) that recommended the following for Photoshop CS6:

"3. Re: Can't get 3dconnexion to work with CS6
Bandalier Community Member Bandalier Apr 24, 2012 1:13 PM (in response to Bandalier)
3dConnexion say they are not planning to start any development work on the CS6 drivers until AFTER the CS6 production release.

One slight workaround is to copy the 3dconnexion driver add-in from the CS5 folder and drop it into the CS6 plug-in folder."

I copied 3DxAcr3d.api from C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 11.0\Reader\plug_ins to C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat Reader DC\Reader\plug_ins, and the SpaceMouse Pro is now working properly for me in DC.

Mike
Michael Hoopes
shanetrain

Post by shanetrain »

I navigated to %APPDATA%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg and dont see any XML files pertaining to Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. I have "Explorer_Background.xml", "Global.xml", "ProE.xml". Where can i get the appropriate XML file so That I can use my space mouse in the PDF viewer? It used to work and then my work push some update or something and now it no longer does. Thanks.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Shanetrain,

I recommend you do a repair installation of the 3Dconnexion driver. Does this help?
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

shanetrain wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 12:46 pm I navigated to %APPDATA%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg and dont see any XML files pertaining to Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. I have "Explorer_Background.xml", "Global.xml", "ProE.xml". Where can i get the appropriate XML file so That I can use my space mouse in the PDF viewer? It used to work and then my work push some update or something and now it no longer does. Thanks.
Shanetrain- Acrobat Reader DC still doesn’t natively support 3D mice, but you can get the api file from a previous version (Reader XI) that will work well in 2D. Caveat- it’s the absolute worst in 3D.

Adobe used to value the CAD market - I participated in Acrobat usability studies at their San Jose office about 10 yrs ago when they were trying to come up with some kind of U3D markup function to compete with eDrawings.

https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewt ... 376#p42213
Michael Hoopes
teknikal224

Post by teknikal224 »

This is what fixed the left/right/up/down pan and zoom functionality of my 3DConnexion SpaceMouse Pro for me:
In Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, Edit --> Preferences --> Security (Enhanced) --> uncheck "Run in AppContainer", and restart Acrobat
Nebohadnazzer

Post by Nebohadnazzer »

worked for me too, thank you!! :D
seanface

Post by seanface »

in Adobe if you click on "fit to width scrolling" the functionality of the 3D mouse returns. I was having this issue. hope it helps
asd.png
asd.png (5.38 KiB) Viewed 16204 times
jweston

Post by jweston »

teknikal224 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:50 pm This is what fixed the left/right/up/down pan and zoom functionality of my 3DConnexion SpaceMouse Pro for me:
In Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, Edit --> Preferences --> Security (Enhanced) --> uncheck "Run in AppContainer", and restart Acrobat
Worked for me as well. Thank you!