SpacePilot in MAX2016?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Mike Truly

SpacePilot in MAX2016?

Post by Mike Truly »

I have my older SpacePilot working fine in MAX2014. I am wondering if it's possible to have my SpacePilot work with MAX2016?

I am currently using the 3.18.0 drivers. I tried copying the 3dxstd.dlu from the MAX2014 stdplugs folder to the MAX2016 stdplugs folder but when starting MAX2016 I get an error saying 'this plugin is not for this version of MAX' message.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Sincerely,

Mike Truly
----------------------------------------------------------------
Truly Media
http://www.trulymedia.com
UtaSH

Re: SpacePilot in MAX2016?

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Mike,

for the newest plugin for 3dsmax 2016 you need our latest driver - 3DxWare 10.2.9. Your legacy device should still work even we didn't test this version of the driver deeply for the SpacePilot.
Mike Truly

Post by Mike Truly »

Thanks VERY much for the ideas!

I downloaded the latest drivers, uninstalled the old drivers & rebooted, installed the new drivers & rebooted, and then started MAX2016. It started fine and the SpacePilot seemed to work fine. I started MAX2014 and the SpacePilot worked fine as well.

One thing that was a bit puzzling... I went to look for the 3Dconnexion plugins in both MAX2016 & MAX2014. I couldn't seem to find them in the old locations. Where are the plugins/scripts located now?

Thanks again.
Sincerely,

Mike Truly
Truly Media
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hell Mike Truly -

If your installation has a path other than Program Files-->Autodesk-->3DsMax-->Plugins there is 3DsMax interface that shows the plug-in path under the 3Dsmax Customize menu >therConfigure System Paths > 3rd Party Plug-Ins tab.

One of the standard script locations is >3DsMax--> ui --> macrocripts . You can search 3DsMax sub-folders for the .ms files to locate them if yours is different.
--------------
Barbara
Mike Truly

Post by Mike Truly »

Thanks for the info.

I am puzzled. I can not find any 3Dconnexion plugins or scripts in either MAX2014 or MAX2016 after installing the latest drivers. I have both versions of MAX installed at the root level of the drive. I have looked in the designated 'plugins' folder in both versions and I don't see any 3DConnexion plugins. I wonder if the plugins have been renamed from earlier versions of the plugins?

What is the precise name of the controller plugin and script now? I can then do a search to see where they live.

Thanks again.
Sincerely,

Mike Truly
Truly Media
Mike Truly

Post by Mike Truly »

OK, I have found down in the ProgramFIles>3DConnexion>3Dxware>etc folders the scripts and plugins. They are named the same as before... 3DxStd.dlu and 3DxStudio.ms.

When I do a search for these files within the 3dsMax2014 and 3dsMax2016 folders and subfolders... they are not found. If I search for them in Program Files... they are found in the 3DConnexion folders. The 3rd party plugins are specified to be in the 'plugins' subfolder of the MAX installs... yet they are not there.

Is there a plugin or script setting that makes them found in the 3DConnexion folders?
Sincerely,

Mike Truly
Truly Media
Barbara

Post by Barbara »

Hello Mike Truly -

Since the Space Pilot is working in Max and the plugin files are not in your Max folders - that does suggest the 3DxWare installer tells 3DsMax where they are.The Max plugin.ini allows custom paths and should have a 3Dconnexion entry.

With the 3DxSoftWare drivers when a manual install was needed we used the same method you did with 3dxstd.dlu copied to \stdplugs and 3DxStudio.ms to \scriptsstartup. The 3DxWare driver does have some other updates to plugin behavior and I don't have a current Max version here to check.

Were you able to find under Customize in 3DsMax the Configure System Paths window with the 3rd Party Plug-Ins tab ? That should show the path for each installed plugin.
------------
Barbara
Mike Truly

Post by Mike Truly »

Attached are some screengrabs showing that the plugin folders/ini files (of this clean install of MAX2016) show no sign of 3DConnexion plugins.
3rd party plugins tab
3rd party plugins tab
3DConnexion_plugins_mystery_01.jpg (21.46 KiB) Viewed 7855 times
plugins folder
plugins folder
3DConnexion_plugins_mystery_02.jpg (179.07 KiB) Viewed 7855 times
en-US>plugin.ini contents
en-US>plugin.ini contents
3DConnexion_plugins_mystery_03.jpg (241.34 KiB) Viewed 7855 times
I'm glad the SpacePilot is working but its a mystery where the plugins/scripts are located as there is no INI setting I've found that is pointing MAX (in either MAX2014 or MAX2016) towards the ProgramFiles>3DConnexion> folders.

Thanks anyway!
Sincerely,

Mike Truly
Truly Media
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi Mike,

you should find the plugin files here: "C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\ApplicationPlugins\3DxStudio.bundle".