Space Navigator not working in 2-D mode

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

thetrad9

Space Navigator not working in 2-D mode

Post by thetrad9 »

Hello,
I have read many forum threads and found out that I needed to edit the desktop.XML file to enable my space navigator to work in 2-D mouse mode. This I did and it was working fine for a day then all of a sudden, the mouse pointer can no longer be controlled by the space navigator. The blue lights on the space navigator are on and the right click button on the space navigator properly brings up the right click menu in Windows. So the driver is installed properly. The training mode also works well so I am able to control the 3-D objects. However the mouse pointer simply does not move at all in Windows. There was no error message, it simply just stopped working. I have reinstalled and installed the driver several times but this has made no difference.
Any ideas why this is happening, how can I get this working again?
Thanks in advance
Barbara

Re: Space Navigator not working in 2-D mode

Post by Barbara »

Hello thetrad9 -

It sounds like your edited desktop.xml may have been overwritten with the default version.

A standard un-install and re-install of the driver doesn't make any changes to your saved profiles.
The default profiles are installed to the ...3DxWare\3DxWinCore\Cfg folder in your Program Files path and your custom profiles are saved to your AppData folder.

Displaying the AppData folder requires enabling 'View hidden files,folders and drives' in your Windows Folder Options. In your AppData path there will be a \3Dconnexion\3DxWare folder under Local [Check AppData\Roaming also].

Your edited desktop.xml needs to be in AppData so it does not get overwritten. Since your driver install is already working correctly , editing your desktop.xml as you initially did and saving to your AppData path should be all that is needed.

The clean install steps show how to remove both the driver and the custom profiles should you need to restore the original behvaiour.
--------------
Barbara