Drifting in 3D Viewport

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

ken0y

Drifting in 3D Viewport

Post by ken0y »

OK, I'm desperate now, this is my second spacepilot pro and I am still getting intermittent drifting (3d viewport moving on it's own). Something software based must be causing this as I'm using a brand new device?

Some info:

- Windows 10
- Tried both legacy and 3dxware 10 drivers
- Device is plugged directly into usb hub on PC
- I have tried every re-calibration method several times

I have noticed that when I disable the driver I can still use the device in the 3d programme, not sure if that is helpful at all.

Could it be that I am getting some kind of driver conflict or corruption? Anyway, I have tried everything but to no avail :(

Cheers
UtaSH

Re: Drifting in 3D Viewport

Post by UtaSH »

Hello ken0y,

is 3D Viewport the application where you see the drifting? Have you tried if you see the drifting in the 3Dconnexion Viewer as well?

What happens after you calibrated the device (right click to the 3Dconnexion icon in the system tray, select "Calibrate" and follow the instructions)?

If you still can navigate while NO driver is running that means that the application itself is reading from the device. We need to find out if the device is faulty or the software.
ken0y

Post by ken0y »

Yes, it does it with the cube viewer and it does it after calibration also. It is not a wild rotation, it is more a very gentle conituation in one direction after letting go of the control.

Please believe me when I say that I have tried EVERYTHING that has been suggested, re-calibration (all methods), deleting all trace of the software including profiles and reg entries etc, reverting to older drivers.

I really don't understand what can be causing it, I have an older spacemouse at work running under windows 7 and I have never had this drifting issue but this is the second time with the spacepilot pro in windows 10.

Cheers
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi ken0y,

if the device is faulty and still under warranty then we have to replace it. :(

Do you have the possibility to test this device on Windows 7 and to test another device on your Windows 10 machine?
ken0y

Post by ken0y »

OK, so I formatted my PC and installed windows 7 professional, installed the latest drivers. There was no drifting for the first few sessions but now it is back, it seems that the more I use the device the more the drifting appears and with increased severity.

Can I be that unlucky that a replacement device for the same problem is actually faulty AGAIN?

I cannot think of what can be causing the problem. Could it be modo?

Thanks
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi ken0y,

if it would be Modo than you wouldn't see it with the CubeDemo. I apologize that you have problems with your device. We have a very low failure rate (below 1%) so you shouldn't have problems with the replacement device.

In fact we have a firmware fix for this kind of problems for our current 3D mouse devices. But only the SpacePilot Pro is not eligible for a firmware update. :( Sorry. So the option with the replacement device is the only option you have.
ken0y

Post by ken0y »

I'm still not convinced it is a hardware issue.

So, for example, the device works properly at the moment of typing this and has for the last few sessions, no drifting at all.

So i'll walk through what I have done recently. I basically unchecked everything in the Modo 3dmouse options and let the 3dconnexion software control everything. I could not get the navigation to perform as expected so turned everything back on in the modo options and have left dominant axis off in both the modo options and the 3dconnexion options.

That's basically all I have done, but as mentioned the device (for the moment) works without drifitng. I have not calibrated either so something must be triggering the drifting on and off. If it was hardware then surely it would just drift all the time regardless.

cheers,

K
ken0y

Post by ken0y »

OK, intermittent drifting still occurs.

Clean install of Win7 Pro and 3ds max 2017.

Happens when I make slight nudges to the nub, sometimes it will drift a tiny bit after the nudge and sometimes it will drift more, sometimes it be just continue to drift forever.

The frequency and amount of drift is entirely random and re-calibration does not solve th issue.

I'm at a loss now, want to cry.

Regards

K
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi ken0y,

this is really a weird case. We usually have a very low failure rate (below 1%). It is very very strange that your replacement device again has an issue. I will contact you directly.
ahoym8z

Post by ahoym8z »

I have solved this issue several times as follows. I think it is related to having more than one Spaceball model touch your machine, or different versions of the software having been installed.
  • Uninstall the 3D Connection software
  • Reinstall and select the Custom option (not Standard)
  • Watch for a menu with three check-boxes. Turn on the last one that says something like "Remove all saved settings"