Inconsistent Settings

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

rasqual

Post by rasqual »

Thanks for fixing the configuration bug etc.

I'm curious about something, though. The roll axis doesn't appear to do a thing in GE. Not sure why. Any ideas?

Also, in Gforce mode the device operates -- but not very coherently (as far as I can see). Do I infer rightly that you're not developing for Gforce mode? That's fine by me -- just wondering.

If you ARE developing for GForce mode, it would be nice if the control panel would automatically distinguish the two modes within GE, just as it distinguishes between applications. It looks as if variations in speed of control for different axis would likely be necessary between the two modes.

Keep up the great work. Lovin' the product.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi rasqual,

It doesn't roll in GE because Google didn't want it to roll. They design the actions that it performs in their app. Still, it would be kinda cool... Contact them if you wish.

I don't know anything about Gforce mode. Fill me in.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
rasqual

Post by rasqual »

jwick wrote:Hi rasqual,

It doesn't roll in GE because Google didn't want it to roll. They design the actions that it performs in their app. Still, it would be kinda cool... Contact them if you wish.

I don't know anything about Gforce mode. Fill me in.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
While viewing somewhat horizontally a couple thousand feet up or more, hit Ctrl+G in GE, right-click your mouse and move it forward slowly until you begin to move. Un-click the right button, center the mouse on-screen, click the left button and use the mouse like a stick in a plane (albeit a weird one that rolls).

The location of the pointer on screen is irrelevant for control -- and distracting.

If you panic you can hit the spacebar to zero everything.

To rever to normal mode, just hit Ctrl+T

I used to fly several mountain ranges for fun. Actually, the control is "kind of" realistic.

Anyway, as you can see, banking is built into GE. You can easily do full, fast rolls.

The SpaceNavigator does NOT fly well. ;-)
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hey, that's pretty cool. I think it works reasonably well. You don't have all 6 DOFs :( . It behaves more like a traditional joystick. I suspect they are just feeding the 3Dx data into their joystick code. I'd probably do it differently. I think I'd also want throttle control on the device.

I used a SpacePilot. All devices should be the same, although the SP is definitely more stable on the desktop.

The decisions about how the 3Dx devices work in Google Earth is Google Earth's decision. Feel free to contact them about enhancements.

Thanks for sharing this mode. I'll use it from now on when I am forced to use a mouse.
Baytekk

Post by Baytekk »

I have all these problems too in AIP11. I'm really frustrated with having to look at blank fields, update delays, overlapping ghost windows because of this " Space Navigator thing". Also I cannot save the current button configuration. When I open a new Inventor session the button config changes back to default.

I'm real close to disputing my CC transaction and dumping this overpriced dysfunctional widget because my CAD productivity is being affected by the constant tweaking & resetting of button configs plus the rest of the problems associated with this widget. I'm not going to spend the time & money to package it, ship it, etc, all on my ticket? I dont think so.
Generic

Post by Generic »

My problems w/ settings overriding each other have been solved as of the last patch.

As far as buttons not remembering what you set them to:
viewtopic.php?p=644#644

In a nut shell, the Space Navigator software installs a tool bar in Inventor. But, for me at least, it doesn't always show up by default in Inventor.

To get the SNavigator to remember your buttons, make sure the tool bar is on (In Inventor, View menu > Toolbar > 3DxInventor), click the "Open Button Maping Editor Panel" button, and then drag the listed commands onto the buttons you want. This will need to be done in all the Inventor environments (ipt iam idw etc) as each one allows you to use different commands if you want to.

Hope this helps. And forgive me if I'm totally off base! :oops: