Please help...Limited SP functions after MDT7 reinstall.

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Punchy

Post by Punchy »

I've been using the SpacePilot without any problems in Mech Desktop 6 and 7 for a couple monthes. Last week I had to reinstall MDT7, since then my SP will not function in MDT7. It still works fine in Inventor and MDT6, however on the SP controller panel, it looks like it does not switch to the MDT7 application and I do not get the 3Dx toolbar in the program. I have reinstalled the SP drivers several times and finally went back to the original install disk from the box. Any suggestions?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Punchy,
Go to the Add or Remove Programs panel on the Windows Control Panel, select 3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware, Change and then "Repair".
Make sure you do not have any programs running when you do that.
Please post here the result of that operation.
Nuno Gomes
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

I did the Change and "Repair" then a restart. Did not fix the issue. It seems as if the Rotations or Translations is disabled although all indications show otherwise. Thanks for the suggestion. Dagnabbit... I really miss my Space Pilot!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Punchy,
Go to the ARP panel, select "3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware, click on "Change", select "Modify" and check if the "3Dconnexion Add-in for AutoCAD" is ticked. Let us know if is or not.
Then uninstall all 3Dconnexion Software (make sure the ARP panel shows no 3Dconnexion entries) and run 3DxSoftware again (you can get the latest version from here.).
Make sure you leave all installation options on their default selections (you may change the installation folder).
If you already tried that, then we need to investigate why isn't the add-in for MDT7 (AutoCAD add-in) installing properly. Again, let us know by posting on this topic.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

I'm not sure if I am finding the "ticked" indication you are speaking of. On the ARP the only item "ticked" is the Modify button. It doesn't refer to an Acad add-in either... therefore I'm not certain I am looking in the right place. BTW: I have completely reinstalled the Autodesk products and the 3Dx software 2 or 3 times with the same results each time. The SP works fine in Inventor and other apps.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Punchy,
I was referring to the panel that is shown after the one with the "modify" radio button (ARP, 3Dconnexion 3DxSoftware, press button "Change", select "Modify", press button "Next": check if "3Dconnexion Add-In for AutoCAD" is selected.

If it is, then we need to investigate this matter further. Let us know.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Thanks for clarifying. YES the add-in for Autocad is selected along with all the others shown.

This morning I noticed that I can activate the 3dOrbit command in MDT and then the SP controller does function "properly"! When I end the command the controller goes back to only panning and zooming. Also, if I simply type "3d" in the command prompt I get temporary rotation control on the SP. Weird indeed.

Thank you for your help.
Last edited by Punchy on Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Punchy,

please read the post available under:

viewtopic.php?p=772#772

and try the described solution. Please post a feed-back afterwards.
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

I've checked the SP control panel and all settings are correct. Since I started this thread my SP now works in some dwgs but not all. The control is not as smooth as it used to be but it does work. The biggest hinderance is the Zoom speed slows to a crawl as I get closer to my objective then it stops altogether before I have zoomed to where I need to be... however when I hold the mouse wheel down it zooms fine. What is going on?
agoenczi
User
User

Post by agoenczi »

Hi Punchy,

could you specify your configuration?

I mean the graphic accelerator, CPU, memory would be very interesting to know.

Just to be sure.