Changing zoom axis in Maya 2009

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

mikebannister

Changing zoom axis in Maya 2009

Post by mikebannister »

Personally I can't understand why anyone would want their zoom to be pushing up or down on the Y axis of these controllers. Instinctively to me it feels like it should be pulling up or down on the Z axis. Leave the panning all on the X and Y axis'.

That's just me though. I must be (either) the only one who feels this way or a very small number of users who feel this way. As just about every program I have come across. The zoom is defaulted to the Y+/- axis.

Another thing I can't understand is why some programs will allow you to change which axis is the zoom in the control panel. And why some you cannot.

For example Maya 2009

Can someone please help me. Please explain to me how to change the zoom axis from the Y to the Z in Maya 2009.

I have the Space Pilot using in Vista Home Premium x64.
Bryan

Choice of Two Different Zoom Directions

Post by Bryan »

Dear mikebannister,

If you open the '3Dconnexion Control Panel' you will find under the 'Device Configuration Tab' that you will be able to choose between two different zoom directions.

Sincerely,
Bryan
mikebannister

Post by mikebannister »

Yes, when Maya is not running I have this choice. I believe this is for generic applications only though. hence the title in the drop down box "any application".

Once I start Maya and have the ability to open Maya's Control Panel. It's a whole different story. Maya has a completely different control panel then what you are referring to.

I could stand to be corrected. Please do cause I want to change my zoom.

Or how do I open up the generic control panel once Maya is running?

I had this same problem with Solid Edge. There is a different Control Panel for Solid Edge as well. With no option of changing your zoom axis. I got lucky with Solid Edge as if you start Solid Edge without the Space Pilot connected you would get an alarm that the 3d mouse was not connected. And before doing anything else I opened the control panel, and then I had Solid Edge as an option under the application drop down menu.

No such luck with Maya '09. Isn't there a way to edit the main config file or something like that? As to what does what?
jwick

Post by jwick »

You can get at the 3DxWare control panel via the desktop icon or the Start menu ...3Dconnexion 3DxWare... You can arrange the axes any crazy way :) you wish using the driver before they get to Maya.
feejo

Post by feejo »

test