SpacePilot With Other Apps

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Mike Truly

SpacePilot With Other Apps

Post by Mike Truly »

I got my problem with MAX sorted but I can't seem to get the SP working like it used to with other apps.

For example, I used to be able to use the SP with Combustion. At the time, I saved a 'Combustion' config where I had saved/assigned some Combustion hot keys into the keys of the SP. When I would open Combustion, the SP sensed that Combustion was started and would load the Combustion config. This worked fine.

But now, when I create a config and name it Combustion, save/assign some hot-keys, when the Combustion app starts, the SP does not load the Combustion config. If I double-click the 3D Connexion icon and choose the 'Combustion' config, the config is loaded into the SP but the assigned Combustion functions do not work when the SP buttons are pressed.

This happens with many other apps that used to work.

I previously had the SP on one of my Dual Xeon, XP32, 4Gig workstations. Now it's on the x64, 8 gig, Dual Quad-Core workstation.

Is this a known issue?

Thanks!
Sincerely,

Mike Truly
----------------------------------------------------------------
Truly Media
http://www.trulymedia.com
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Mike,

These other apps were supported because of our generic Windows plugin called [somewhat misleadingly] 3DxOffice. It provided not only support for Office apps, but other otherwise unsupported Windows apps.

The easiest way to reestablish the use of your previous config files is to reinstall 3DxOffice. Download 3DxOffice by going to Support, choose a 3Dx product --> choose archive --> 3DxOffice.

Let me know if this resolves your issue.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
Mike Truly

Post by Mike Truly »

Jim,

Thanks for the info. 3DxOffice IS installed. At least the installer was run approximately a week ago. Perhaps there is something else that needs to be done (running the installer again?) to make it work?

Thanks!
Sincerely,

Mike Truly
Truly Media
Mike Truly

Post by Mike Truly »

OK, I navigated my way to Program Files (x86)>3Dconnexion>3dconnexion 3DxSoftware>3DxWare64>Office>Plugins>. There are a bunch of DLLs in this directory that I'm guessing are the 3DxOffice plugins. When I do a search on the rest of the drive, these DLLs only appear here (which I can't imagine is the proper place for them to function. There are no instructions (like with the Adobe plugins) as to where to place them. Am I correct in assuming they need to be copied to their proper locations in order to function?

Thanks!
Sincerely,

Mike Truly
Truly Media
jwick

Post by jwick »

Oops, sorry. I just read that you are on an x64 system. 3DxOffice doesn't work on x64.

You can try one more thing.

Your saved user config files should be saved under your %APPDATA% directory. Edit one of these, say the Combustion one, with wordpad (It has to be a Unicode-capable editor). Find the line:

TRANSPORT_PROTOCOL = NO_TRANSPORT

change this to:

TRANSPORT_PROTOCOL = WIN32_KEYBOARD

Save the file, restart the driver and bring Combustion into focus (select the Combustion configuration in 3DxWare if needed). If you only have keyboard macros in this configuration, it should now be loaded and you should be able to send your keyboard macros to Combustion. The 3DxWare.log file should show Combustion being recognized and your config file being loaded.

If this work, repeat the process for the rest of your saved configs.

Let me know if this works.

Jim
3Dx Software Development
Mike Truly

Post by Mike Truly »

Jim,

Thanks for the ideas. Unfortunately, it still doesn't work.

I edited the config file in TextPad, saved, re-booted, started Combustion (it didn't auto-load the config file), then I loaded the config file manually but still no joy. As I press the various macro buttons, the SP display shows the proper commands being sent but nothing happens in Combustion.

Thanks again.
Sincerely,

Mike Truly
Truly Media
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Mike,

Then there is only one more thing to try.

Edit the config file and change:

MACRO_MECHANISM = 0

to

MACRO_MECHANISM = 1

If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

Jim
Mike Truly

Post by Mike Truly »

Jim,

That doesn't seem to work either.

Thanks anyway.
Sincerely,

Mike Truly
Truly Media
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Hi-

I just recently migrated from WinXP (32 bit) to x64. My spacepilot was a dream in Win32 since I could move around on Pro/E WF2, and especially since I could use it in Adobe Acrobat to pan around a document and zoom simultaneously. Now it works with WF2, but is completely unresponsive with all other applications.

From what I have read in this forum, it looks like there is no x64 support for 3DxOffice. Are there plans to update 3DxOffice to work with x64? Is there any kind of workaround or legacy software that I can download?

I have tried downloading 3DxOffice 3.0.1, and I now have 3DxWare 3.1.1 beta, but neither seem to solve the problem. I would very much like to use my Spaceball 5000 USB with Adobe Acrobat 6.0.

Thanks,
Dave
Brieldo

Post by Brieldo »

Dave,
We seem to be running into each other on each other's posts...

From what I've read, 3DxOffice is no longer in development and will not be updated any further...that being said, it doesnt look like we'll gain x64 support.

Now if only they could get the damn driver for Wildfire 3 x64 going so we have full functionality!!
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Brieldo-

Everyone will be moving to the x64 architecture soon. Does this mean that the spaceball will never again have functionality in other applications? Can I get a confirmation from 3Dconnexion about the status of 3DxOffice?

Thanks,
Dave
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi DaveF and Brieldo,

First the qualifier: all opinions contained herein are solely the opinions of the author and do not necessarily represent the opinions and directions of 3Dconnexion management :)

We've not given up on 2D apps! We want (ultimately) to make 3Dx devices work across as wide a domain as possible. In fact, I was testing Adobe Reader 8 just the other day and also saw an Adobe3D document being controlled in both 2D and 6D--very cool. We've also made mention of upcoming support for Adobe CS3 on this forum.

We are most interested in the quality of the 3D and 2D solution we provide for you. Just making something move doesn't make it useful. Notice the extraordinary finesse you have in our 3DxViewer image viewing app--now that's useful. And Google Earth with a 3Dx device is a heavenly experience--many people have previously thought of GE as a 2D control app.

There are plenty of non-traditional 3D apps that would benefit from dynamic, more precise, more multi-Degree-of-Freedom control (IMHO).

3DxOffice as a specific solution, though, may have run its course. We learned a lot from it. It has some performance issues. We are actively looking at better solutions for all apps. Certain aspects of Vista are very interesting and Office 2007 (and beyond) may provide some useful opportunities to add multi-Degree-of-Freedom control to other desktop apps. Ultimately, these devices will be a part of the operating system and it will work with every application that makes sense. There is though, no quick and easy solution to any of this, so you have to remain patient.

As hoped, some of our customers have taken the ball and started to run with it. Here is a link to a developer who has created a driver that will allow the 3Dx device to work with all sorts of, currently unsupported, applications. See:

viewtopic.php?p=1059#1059

We are taking a look at this and certainly would encourage others to do so. It is a very exciting solution and direction. It is a very exciting time for 3Dx technology in general. BUT, quality of the solution, 2D or 3D, comes first.

We absolutely care about 2D -- don't forget -- we ARE a Logitech company ;)

Jim
3Dx Software Development
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

Hi Jim-

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that 3dconnexion will continue to support 2D. I tried out the RBC9 driver, but it seems to only work for SpaceNavigators at this point. I emailed the developer to see if he can make it work for the spaceball as well. (It didn't work when I tried to install it).

Is there any timeline for 3dconnexion's development of 2D support?

Thanks,
DaveF
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

It looks like the RBC driver now works with SpaceBalls, but not with Windows x64 :(

Is there any update from 3Dconnexion when support for 2D apps will be released for x64?
edgarharris

3DxOffice

Post by edgarharris »

Would there ever be a new 3DxOffice for windows in general? (not to mention MAC)
Edgar Harris