I'm confused about who makes the drivers...

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Valen Wagner

I'm confused about who makes the drivers...

Post by Valen Wagner »

It was my understanding that it is up to the individual software companies to make their own drivers to run these 3D mice. So I am wondering why people (including myself) are bugging 3DConnexion for the new 3ds Max 2010 driver. Shouldn't we be bugging Autodesk? Aren't they the ones who are making the driver? If Autodesk is making the driver, then why is 3DConnexion working on it? Please help, I'm confused... Thanks!
SpacePilotPro, SpaceExplorer USB ( Driver 3.17.4 )
Windows 7 64 bit, Core i7, 12GB Ram
Nvidia Quadro FX 3700
3ds Max 2014, Maya 2014, Inventor 2013, AutoCAD 2013, Photoshop CS5
Fred

Post by Fred »

Our driver has plugins that 3DConnexion, has created with the support of the Application Programmers. When a new version is released for Beta testing we also have to verify the current plugin works for the new release.If not changes have to be added to or a new plugin has to be created. Most Applications that support our driver do not require additional plugins the application has used our SDk to write it into the application.
Xlars

Post by Xlars »

Fred wrote:Our driver has plugins that 3DConnexion, has created with the support of the Application Programmers. When a new version is released for Beta testing we also have to verify the current plugin works for the new release.If not changes have to be added to or a new plugin has to be created. Most Applications that support our driver do not require additional plugins the application has used our SDk to write it into the application.
So if I understand correctly: There is a driver (for the 3D Connexion device). This driver makes the device work on the given operating system eg. Windows.

And then there are plugins for each application that the device supports (eg. a plugin for 3ds max). This plugin can be either made by 3D Connextion or the application company (eg. Autodesk).

If the application supports the 3D Connexion driver it will typically have build in some code in the application it self, to talk to the driver. As I understand this is not the case for 3ds max, so 3D Connexion has to make the plugin.

Fred: am I right?
Best regards,

Lars Bjorstrup, Denmark
http://www.xlars.dk
Fred

Post by Fred »

Correct. :lol:
amelia

Post by amelia »

So we discover that Autodesk and 3DConnexion are not "in-love".
The major software Companies are happy to have partners that develop add-on, plug-in for their own software.
It is obvious that the 3DConnexion's devices give value to the Autodesk software.
Who is wrong:
The Autodesk, not giving in advance the beta-specifications ?
The 3DConnexion, not having the skill ?
Both, they do not exchanged the Wedding-Rings, having relationship like Goliath and David ?

This is a sad story, where the customer still mourns.
But be happy and wait, wait, etc. .
Fred

Post by Fred »

The programmers are working on more than 1 plugin, also the plugin must work in more than one OS.

I would prefer to have a plugin that works correctly than one that can cause issues with a project im working on or not work correctly.
zzubnik

Post by zzubnik »

Fred wrote:I would prefer to have a plugin that works correctly than one that can cause issues with a project im working on or not work correctly.
... and the rest of us would prefer to have a (semi) working device that might have a few quirks than have to wait months for a driver to be released.

I don't understand why you won't release beta versions of the drivers. 3Dconnexion has done this in the past.

Now, the attitude we are getting is completely the reverse. We are paying customers, we don't even get answers to our requests other than to be told to "wait just another few days" over and over...
Fred

Post by Fred »

I cant give you a set date. When the plugins are ready and finished it will be released.
zzubnik

Post by zzubnik »

Fred wrote:I cant give you a set date. When the plugins are ready and finished it will be released.
Welll, I certainly can't bite your hand off for this news, and thank you for the 'update'. It is a bit of a slap across the face that 3D connexion won't give us beta versions of the drivers though. I guess we are not that valued as customers. It doesn't even get commented on when directly asked about it.

So in the last month we've gone from "by the end of the week" to "in a few days" to "When they are ready". That's in the last month.

Could you show any more disregard to your customers that we have to beg for information from you?

Anyway, I am sick of pestering you for help. It is fruitless and is winding me up.