What happened to my SolidWorks macros?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

takedownca

What happened to my SolidWorks macros?

Post by takedownca »

Previous to version 2.13.0 of the SolidWorks add-in (3DxWare 3.7.16), I was able to assign custom macros to my SpacePilot's buttons. This was accomplished by creating buttons for these macros on an unused toolbar (e.g. the Screen Capture toolbar). The macros attached to those buttons could then be accessed from within the Button Mapping dialog by looking under the heading of the toolbar in question (e.g. Screen Capture). Apparently, this is no longer the case. Buttons added to toolbars do not show up as options in the Button Mapping dialog. I know 3Dx has changed the method used for exposing SW functionality, but what exactly is that method?
Andrei

Post by Andrei »

Sir,

Please try the following:

A) Open SolidWorks
B) Right-click on the toolbar and select "Customize"
C) Enable the "Macro" toolbar
D) Go to the "Commands"-tab
E) Choose the "Sketch" Category
F) Drag and drop the "Sketch"-command to the Macro-toolbar

Then open the 3Dconnexion Button Mapping Panel for SolidWorks (do not use the 3Dconnexion Control Panel!) and expand the "Macro" category. Inside you will find the Sketch command which was moved to the Macro-toolbar. Map this command to a button on your 3D mouse. Then close the Button Mapping Panel with "Ok".

Andrei
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

Andrei,

Thanks for attempting to help, but your method does not work.

1) I'm not looking to use a built-in function like Sketch. I want access to custom macros that I've written for SW. If it's a built-in SW function I can probably access it through existing menus.

2) Your method as written no longer works in the current version of 3Dx. Adding a button to the toolbar does not give 3Dx access to it. This is the reason why I started this thread.

If someone from 3Dx could pipe up I'd appreciate it. It's not like this is new functionality. Something used to work, and now, it's broken. I've done software QA so I know regressions are no small matter.
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Hi takedownca,

Due to our new solution for SolidWorks you are not longer forced to place a button on the toolbar prior assigning the command to a button. You can use any macro you created in 3Dconnexion Control Panel as follows:

A) Open SolidWorks
B) Open 3Dconnexion Control Panel (active configuration should be SolidWorks - YourUsername)
C) Create your custom function (Button Configuration -> Custom Functions...")
D) Close the Control Panel and restart SolidWorks
E) Open the Button Mapping Panel in SolidWorks - you will find the new macro in the "3DxWare Functions" category.

You will find your SolidWorks macros in the "Macro" category.

Does this solution work for you?
Robert Stadie
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

Robert, 3Dx's Custom Functions are limited to recording keyboard input. So, in order to use your steps A-E I would have to map a keyboard shortcut to every macro I want to assign to a SpacePilot button. I suppose this is possible, but it's also a tedious and unnecessary step that was not necessary previously. Most of these functions I specifically do not want to assign a keyboard shortcut. If I were using a keyboard shortcut for a macro I wouldn't need a SpacePilot button.

Also, you stated "You will find your SolidWorks macros in the "Macro" category". If this were true there would be no need for this post. You are mistaken - macros are not listed under the "Macro" category.
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

Hello, and thoughs 3Dx :?:
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

Two typos for the price of one. I meant "Any thoughts, 3Dx ?"
rstadie

Post by rstadie »

Please see also this post - we changed the way our Add-in works.

As I understand you liked the previous way to map buttons (moving them to toolbars prior mapping them) more than the current solution.

As far as I know most commands are already available in the Button Mapping Editor so there is no need to create shortcuts (and 3DxWare custom functions) for all commands - just for the missing ones (you are right - this is a workaround - not a solution). Can you please let us know which commands are missing for you?
You will find your SolidWorks macros in the "Macro" category
This means the SolidWorks Visual Basic Macros which are listed in the history under "Tools->Macros" are shown in the "Macro" Category of the Button Mapping Editor. Sorry for not being clear about that.
Robert Stadie
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

Thanks for the reply, Robert.
Can you please let us know which commands are missing for you?
Like I said earlier, it's not a specific command that is missing. What's missing is any custom macro or button created by the user. Previously, if you added a button to the macro toolbar, you could then access that button in the 3Dx panel. Now the only way to get similar results is to waste a keyboard mapping on the macro and then map those keys to a 3Dx button. That's klugey/messy at best.
This means the SolidWorks Visual Basic Macros which are listed in the history under "Tools->Macros" are shown in the "Macro" Category of the Button Mapping Editor.
I'm sorry, but that's useless. First of all, selecting a macro from the history list only allows you to edit the macro. It doesn't actually run it. I personally (and I'm pretty sure everyone else) don't need to edit a single macro so frequently that I have to waste a button on it. Second, the macro history is constantly changing based on what was last edited, so it's not even a reliable list, should you actually want to use it.

5 out of 6 buttons on my SpacePilot were mapped. Until this is fixed I'll be going back to the previous software version
takedownca

Post by takedownca »

The last line should read:

5 out of 6 buttons on my SpacePilot were mapped to macros. Until this is fixed I'll be going back to the previous software version where this wasn't an issue. I was hoping not to have to do this so I could take advantage of any improvements made to the latest 3Dx driver, but this is definitely not an improvement.
spikeinin

Post by spikeinin »

was able to accredit custom macros to my SpacePilot's buttons. This was able by creating buttons for these macros on an bare toolbar.

Post by takedownca »

spikeinin wrote:was able to accredit custom macros to my SpacePilot's buttons. This was able by creating buttons for these macros on an bare toolbar.
Spike, as was stated several times already, that only works in previous versions of 3Dx software (before 3.7.16).