Profile management

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Scott Stubbington

Profile management

Post by Scott Stubbington »

Hello,
I feel there could be better management for profiles. I have recently encountered a profile change in XP, as of consequence, all settings for my Spacepilot have gone. It has been suggested to copy across all the profiles from "C:\Documents and Settings\SS\Application Data\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\profiles" to the new location, this has not worked.

During my use of the Spacepilot I noticed multiple profiles for the same application, Google Earth and Google Earth(SS) for example, when opening the above location for profiles, you're faced with a list of profiles named user00.scg, user01.scg, how do you associate any one profile with a particular application?

I am now facing the task of reassigning all the buttons for Inventor and it's many environments, I know how long it took the first time, hence I'm not looking forward to it.

Thanks

Scott
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hi Scott,

To transfer to a completely new environment you need to do two things:

1) Copy all your saved user profiles (*.scg files) from %APPDATA% in the old environment to %APPDATA% in the new environment.

2) Export all the relationships between those profiles and the application names. These are saved in the registry under HKCU/Software/3dconnexion/3dxware/Applications
Export the Applications Key and run the resulting .reg file in your new environment.

That should save you a lot of time.

These files and relationships are in %APPDATA% and HKCU so they roam with you in an ActiveDirectory domain. They are also the only place you have write access.

Jim
3Dx Software Development