Global Mapping

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

snyberg

Global Mapping

Post by snyberg »

Is there a way to globally map a button on the CADMouse? I would like to assign the middle button to function as the left button in all application. (I am awaiting a new CADMouse in the mail but the left button is currently working intermittently).

It seams like I need to re-map the middle button for each program individualy and it would be nice to be able to set buttons globally (like make button 1 on my SpacePilot always be the virtual number pad unless otherwise specified or the middle button on the CADMouse function as left click.
snyberg

Re: Global Mapping

Post by snyberg »

I figured it out;

I typed in %AppData% in file explorer and went to C:\Users\snyberg\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg

I then opened one of the .xml codes for a program I knew I already mapped my mouse buttons the way I wanted and pasted the code into the Global.xml

The modified code is attached below;

I do wish there was an easier way to do this from the GUI.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?><Global Default="false" xmlns="" CfgFormatVersion="1.1" ThisFileVersion="1.0">
  <Devices>
    <Device>
      <Name>CadMouse</Name>
      <VendorID>256f</VendorID>
      <ProductID>c650</ProductID>
      <InheritsFrom>Standard 2D Mouse</InheritsFrom>
      <Settings>
        <UpdateRate>250</UpdateRate>
      </Settings>
      <Name>CadMouse</Name>
      <VendorID>256f</VendorID>
      <ProductID>c650</ProductID>
      <InheritsFrom>Standard 2D Mouse</InheritsFrom>
      <ButtonBank Default="true">
        <Name>STR_DEFAULT_BUTTONBANK</Name>
        <ID>Default</ID>
        <Button>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>HIDButton_3</ActionID>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>HIDMouse_Left</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Button>
      </ButtonBank>
    </Device>
  </Devices>
<Settings><InstallerAutoCheckForUpdates>true</InstallerAutoCheckForUpdates><LastAutoCheckForUpdates>18-10-2017</LastAutoCheckForUpdates></Settings></Global>
Attachments
2017-10-19 15_19_06-Clipboard.png
2017-10-19 15_19_06-Clipboard.png (51.89 KiB) Viewed 24999 times
snyberg

Post by snyberg »

But now this button cannot be changed if it needs to be something else in a specific program (It locks it down like the right and left buttons).
:oops:
snyberg wrote:I figured it out;
jwick

Post by jwick »

If you make a similar modification in Base.xml, your button assignment will be used (unless it is overwritten by an app-specific cfg).
snyberg

Post by snyberg »

jwick wrote:If you make a similar modification in Base.xml, your button assignment will be used (unless it is overwritten by an app-specific cfg).
It doesn't look like I have a Base.xml
Attachments
2017-10-20 09_41_04-Cfg.png
2017-10-20 09_41_04-Cfg.png (20.88 KiB) Viewed 24982 times
jwick

Post by jwick »

It's not a user file. It is where 3DxWinCore is installed. Typically, C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore64\Cfg.
snyberg

Post by snyberg »

jwick wrote:It's not a user file. It is where 3DxWinCore is installed. Typically, C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore64\Cfg.
Thank you! I think I have it working now. That file is a bit intimidating at first! I think I did it correctly.
Attachments
2017-10-20 11_53_51-Clipboard.png
2017-10-20 11_53_51-Clipboard.png (63.13 KiB) Viewed 24978 times
jwick

Post by jwick »

That looks about right
FarFlyer

Post by FarFlyer »

Hello, is this still valid?
I've tried to add some assignments for the Keyboard Pro, but it's not working.
Adding the same entries to the Global.xml works, but as stated before it overwrites all the application assignments.
jwick

Post by jwick »

With the KBP you may have a better option.

When you press the FN key (to the right of the space bar), it uses a different cfg that is available everywhere in every application.
You might want to edit that cfg so your changes are always available (when holding down the FN key).

This is the same cfg you get when you click on the Windows background ("Desktop").
FarFlyer

Post by FarFlyer »

jwick wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:34 am With the KBP you may have a better option.

When you press the FN key (to the right of the space bar), it uses a different cfg that is available everywhere in every application.
You might want to edit that cfg so your changes are always available (when holding down the FN key).

This is the same cfg you get when you click on the Windows background ("Desktop").
Thanks a lot, I've read that in the manual after posting.
It's a good compromise, but it doesn't serve entirely my needs.
For example if I want to have a "global" command in the numeric keypad, I have to move my right hand from the mouse to the fn button while pressing the button on the numpad with the left hand.
If the Base.cfg modification is still valid, can someone post a complete tutorial or a working snippet?
jwick

Post by jwick »

(Thread readers: As of 3DxWare 10.8, you shouldn't edit Base.xml. You should be able to do more of what you want w/o editing Base.xml. The biggest problem with editing that file, is that it will get overwritten when you install an update and all your changes will be lost. We are trying to provide a better method for you.)

The Numpad Pro has a set of Key Configurations on its Advanced Settings page (for the =, (, ), Backspace, Delete keys).

These settings are global. They don't depend on which application is in focus. If you change one of these assignments, the key will always do what you assigned it to.

TBH, they do slightly depend on which application is in focus. If you encounter a situation where this doesn't apply, let me know and I will tell you how to fix it.
ocpseq

Post by ocpseq »

jwick wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:24 am (Thread readers: As of 3DxWare 10.8, you shouldn't edit Base.xml. You should be able to do more of what you want w/o editing Base.xml. The biggest problem with editing that file, is that it will get overwritten when you install an update and all your changes will be lost. We are trying to provide a better method for you.)

Can you clarify what you mean when you say you shouldn't edit Base.xml if using 10.8? How can I set a global action for e.g. the middle mouse button without the workaround suggested earlier in this post?

Thanks!
jwick

Post by jwick »

Which application? Which button? Which device?
NedNar

Have a great day!

Post by NedNar »

Major kudos to the author for this brilliant insight! Consider this post officially endorsed by me.