Space Pilot & 3DS Max Design 2011

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Phosphorous

Post by Phosphorous »

Greetings,

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate and my Space Pilot stopped working when I Installed Max 2011 Design.

When will the new drivers be available?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Dear Phosphorous,

What release version of 3DxSoftware do you have installed?
(3Dconnexion Control Panel, Help, About)

When you say your SpacePilot stopped working, do you mean it stopped working all together. For example, it is not working in the Jet Demo?
(Start, All Programs, 3Dconnexion, 3Dconnexion 3DxWare, Demos), or Max 2011 Design is not making use of your SpacePilot?

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
Phosphorous

Post by Phosphorous »

Hi Brian,

The Jet Demo along with the others do work but my Space Pilot does not work with Max Design 2011.

I'm running 3DxSoftware version 3.10.1
Bryan

Max Design 2011

Post by Bryan »

Dear Phosphorous,

You do have our latest release version of 3DxSoftware. Max Design 2011, itself, has just been released. Our developers are currently working on new plug in for it. Look for new release version of 3DxSoftware. There is no known date for it. It will be released as soon as it can be developed.

Sincerely,
Bryan
The more things change, the more they remain the same. ; ^ )
Phosphorous

Post by Phosphorous »

Ok Real good Bryan.

Thanks for the info. :twisted:
SGP

Post by SGP »

we might have have support for 2011 products by the time AutoDesk 2013 comes out! :lol:

or are we going to have to email autodesk to get them supported? :lol:

nice pre-emptive driver release guys, good to know you keep an eye on big software releases! :lol:
cblyth

Post by cblyth »

What I can't work out is how nearly all plugins for Max2010 work fine in Max2011, except this. Can we have a rough date for when a driver will be released? Otherwise I just have an expensive paper weight!

Thanks
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi cblyth,
What I can't work out is how nearly all plugins for Max2010 work fine in Max2011, except this.
New builds 3ds Max are not necessarily compatible with add-in binaries for previous versions of the application.

See, for example, the following statement taken from the 3ds Max 2010 SDK documentation:
3ds Max 2010 is not binary compatible with plug-ins built with previous versions of the 3ds Max SDK. Older plug-ins will not load into 3ds Max 2010 [...]
This forces 3Dconnexion to ensure the add-in installer will only find the application versions that have been verified to work well.

We have had access to the final build of 3ds Max 2011 for a few days. We expect to soon make available an add-in for 2011 and plan to have this build out before the end of the end of the month.

We very much regret the inconvenience that the delay is causing our customers, users of 3ds Max and 3ds Max Design.
Nuno Gomes
Insect

Re: Max Design 2011

Post by Insect »

Bryan wrote:Dear Phosphorous,

You do have our latest release version of 3DxSoftware. Max Design 2011, itself, has just been released. Our developers are currently working on new plug in for it. Look for new release version of 3DxSoftware. There is no known date for it. It will be released as soon as it can be developed.

Sincerely,
Bryan
Hello

There is a workaround for this issue. Apprently the old drivers (from 2010 softwares) still works. :D

For 3D Studio Max / Design you are gonna do this in order to make it work.

Copy “3dxstd.dlu” to:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\stdplugs
Copy “3DxStudio.ms” to:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\Scripts\Startup
Copy “3DxStudio.chm” to:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\help

(Source: http://community.softimage.com/forum/au ... page-last/ )

Would be great if someone from 3DConnexion could explain how the method could be done for other softwares like Maya 2011...

Best Regards

Insect
cblyth

Post by cblyth »

Hi Insect,

Thanks so much for that, it works a treat!

Hi ngomes, thanks for your reply
What I can't work out is how nearly all plugins for Max2010 work fine in Max2011, except this.

New builds 3ds Max are not necessarily compatible with add-in binaries for previous versions of the application.

See, for example, the following statement taken from the 3ds Max 2010 SDK documentation:

3ds Max 2010 is not binary compatible with plug-ins built with previous versions of the 3ds Max SDK. Older plug-ins will not load into 3ds Max 2010 [...]
I understand what you are saying but that quote is for Max 2010 and versions previous to that. Max 2010 was a special case where they re-wrote a lot of the core program (due to XER) hence why nearly all plugins wouldn't work.

With Max 2011 though this is not the case, for example for the 1st time you can back save a file to Max 2010 and this is due to the core changes made to Max 2010. Also as you can see by manually doing as Insect suggested, this now works fine.

Obviously i assume this will need to be fully tested before an update is realised but i also assume the changes (if any) will be very small.

Thanks
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cblyth wrote:I understand what you are saying but that quote is for Max 2010 and versions previous to that. Max 2010 was a special case where they re-wrote a lot of the core program (due to XER) hence why nearly all plugins wouldn't work.

With Max 2011 though this is not the case, for example for the 1st time you can back save a file to Max 2010 and this is due to the core changes made to Max 2010. Also as you can see by manually doing as Insect suggested, this now works fine.
Right but when 3Dconnexion released the add-in for Max 2010, we did not know if it was going to be compatible with the 2011 version.

The issue is just that: not knowing if the next Max version supports the current add-in binaries prevents 3Dconnexion from enabling the add-in for subsequent versions.

The changes are indeed small and have been completed. We will be posting the software soon.
RobH

Post by RobH »

Insect,

Thanks for that. Work sell here so far.

RobH
3ds Max 2025, GIGABYTE X570 AORUS x570 Motherboard, Ryzen 9 3950x, 128 GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo DDR4, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 drives, NVidia RTX 4090, Spacemouse Pro Wireless, Windows 11 Pro x64, Tri-Monitor
razer

Re: Max Design 2011

Post by razer »

Insect wrote: Copy “3dxstd.dlu” to:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\stdplugs
Copy “3DxStudio.ms” to:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2011\Scripts\Startup
Copy “3DxStudio.chm” to:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2010\help

(Source: http://community.softimage.com/forum/au ... page-last/ )
Works great, thanks alot Insect!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

3DxSoftware Beta v. 3.11.0 is now available. It includes a plug-in for 3ds Max and Max Design 2011.

More details in this topic.