Unable to install latest driver

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

bigguiness

Unable to install latest driver

Post by bigguiness »

Hello,

My system just did a windows update and installed the "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709".

Many times after a windows update my SpaceMouse Wireless will quit working. But a reinstall of the driver and removing the USB receiver and plugging it back in will get it working again.

This time it didn't work. I'm trying to install 3DxWare64_v10-5-4_r2703.exe and I get a message box that says:

3Dconnexion 3DxWinCore installation failed.
Error: 1618
Do you wish to continue?

Clicking Yes give me another message box saying:

Logitech LCD Manager installation failed.
Error: 1618
Do you wish to continue?

If I continue hitting Yes I get the following messages, all with Error: 1618:

3Dconnextion Viewer and Assembly Demo installation failed.
3Dconnexion LCD Applets for SpacePilot Pro installation failed.
3Dconnexion Collage installation failed.
3Dconnexion Trainer installation failed.
3Dconnexion Navigation Library Server installation failed.
3Dconnexion Plug-in for Acrobat 3D installation failed.
3Dconnexion Plug-in for Photoshop CS3 - CS6, CC and CC 2014 - 2017 installation failed.
3Dconnexion Add-in for AutoCAD installation failed.
3Dconnexion Plug-in for NV v4.0 - v11.0 installation failed.
3Dconnexion Plug-in for Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire 3.0 - Creo 4.0 installation failed.
3Dconnexion Add-in for Microsoft Office installation failed.
3Dconnexion Add-in for Inventor 11 - 2018 installation failed.
3Dconnexion Extension for SketchUp installation failed.
3Dconnexion Add-in for SolidWorks 2005 - 2018 installation failed.
3Dconnexion Add-in for Solid Edge V18 - ST9 installation failed.
3Dconnexion Plug-in for Maya v8.5 - 2018 installation failed.
3Dconnexion Add-On for XSi v5.0 - 2015 installation failed.
3Dconnexion Plug-in for 3ds Max 2008 - 2018 installation failed.

Then I get the main install window back and it says:

The InstallShield Wizard has successfully installed
3Dconnexion 3DxWare 10. Click Finish to exit the wizard.

After all this the SpaceMouse still doesn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks
UtaSH

Re: Unable to install latest driver

Post by UtaSH »

Hello bigguiness,

it seems there is a previous driver installed which cannot be removed by the installer process. Do you know which version of the 3Dconnexion driver had been installed before? If yes, do you still have the installer of the previous version? The I recommend to follow this process:
  1. Uninstall any 3Dconnexion driver.
  2. Reboot your machine.
  3. Install the older version of the driver.
  4. Reboot your machine.
  5. Uninstall the older version of the driver.
  6. Reboot the machine.
  7. Install the latest version of the driver.
In case
  • you don't know which previous driver was installed or
  • you don't have the installer of the previous version or
  • the installation of the previous version fails or
  • you still have problems with the installation of the latest driver
please contact our Technical Support Team. They will help you. ;)
GuyJr818

Post by GuyJr818 »

Installing the "latest Driver" was less than helpful. It's a waste of time. Don't do it.

Asking for help from tech support is also another time suck.

The answer is to decompose the install file down to the component parts using 7-zip.

The attempt the installation using MSIEXEC.

msiexec /i 3DxWinCore64.msi /l*v .\msi.log

It will fail. Look at the log file for the failure. That will reveal the registry key that failed. Go to that registry key and delete it.

If the key cannot be deleted due to mysterious ownership challenges, go ahead and buy "Registrar Registry Manager (64-bit)" I don't know what magic they have but deleting locked keys is not a challenge.

Unfortunately, the 3DxWinCore64.msi is not the only package with install problems. These steps will need to be repeated with many of the other MSI install packages. It is time consuming.

Now . . . if the 3dconnexion support staff wanted to help they would provide better instructions then above. In the mean time a modest web search will find better instructions then above.

The 3DConnexion software engineers and support staff have not covered themselves with glory with this issue. It's been going on for years!
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

GuyJr818 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:30 pm Installing the "latest Driver" was less than helpful. It's a waste of time. Don't do it.

Asking for help from tech support is also another time suck.
Hi GuyJr818,

I am sorry if my suggestion did not work and apologize if you had the impression the Technical Support Team was not helpful.

I assume the "older" driver you installed had not been the version that had left rememnants. Creating a log file as described here should have been the next troubleshooting step from my colleagues. In the log files we can then find the information to identifiy the correct previous version (by finding the registry keys).
GuyJr818 wrote: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:30 pm ...
Look at the log file for the failure. That will reveal the registry key that failed. Go to that registry key and delete it.

If the key cannot be deleted due to mysterious ownership challenges, go ahead and buy "Registrar Registry Manager (64-bit)" I don't know what magic they have but deleting locked keys is not a challenge.
We do not recommend to just delete any registry keys or use tools to delete them. The result may not be what you want as the registry could be messed up even more. :!:

My recommendation is: create a log file of the installation and contact our Technical Support Team.
kgrosser

Post by kgrosser »

Sorry, but I have to add that manually going through the registry this was the only way to get me up and running again (your support just recommended the usual and readily accessible advices that did not help). In the end it dshowed that for some reason (I guess it's because i am running your products now for so long including the v10 beta program) even though running RevoUninstaller, 2 quirky remainders for the KMJ and HID part resided in my registry that could not be removed by the until I took ownership for each subfolder and deleted them.

I think a proper uninstaller tool from 3Dconnexion would go a long way here.