Space pilot on Inventor

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

kyfrye88

Space pilot on Inventor

Post by kyfrye88 »

I have an old space pilot and it had been working great in inventor. However now all of the functions work other than the main knob. If I go to the control panel for 3Dconnexions everything works as it should there just not in Inventor. I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling the archived driver with no luck. Windows 7 64bit, Inventor 2018
UtaSH

Re: Space pilot on Inventor

Post by UtaSH »

Hi kyfrye88,

with the legacy device SpacePilot you are in a bad position. :(
  • The SpacePilot was ended to be produced and sold in March 2010. Our official software support ended 3 years later. This means we continued to test the product with all new drivers until March 2013. After this date, we did not take any steps to stop SpacePilot working, but it is not tested with newer drivers. This means we do not list these drivers when you search for SpacePilot on the driver download page. However, if you download 3DxWare driver 10.4.10 from our driver archive site by searching for another product (I suggest SpaceMouse Pro or SpaceMouse Enterprise), there is a chance it will work fine with your SpacePilot and Inventor any version before 2018. Please be aware that because SpacePilot is not tested with this driver we will not be able to offer further technical support (but we hope that is not necessary).
Support for Inventor 2018 was added in 3DxWare 10.5.0, but this driver does not recognize the SpacePilot anymore. So it seems its time for you to update to a newer model of the 3D mouse. :wink:
mgibeault@gmail.com

Re: Space pilot on Inventor

Post by mgibeault@gmail.com »

That's an unacceptable policy!
You just asked this customer to throw away his (possibly) 3 years old device that would function perfectly well if you added a few lines of code in the latest drivers.
It's not like you have 1000 different devices to test, 3Dconnexion has a portfolio of about 20 devices and you have 14 on the list of "obsolete devices"
Don't tell me it's very complicated to keep all devices supported; it's not. Some users found that in some case just editing an XML file would bring back their device!