Spacenavigator problems Google Earth (and other softwares)

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

DGF

Spacenavigator problems Google Earth (and other softwares)

Post by DGF »

Hello,
My name is Ben, I'm a 2D/3D graphic artist/designer.

I have recently purchased a 3D spacenavigator compact. I have been using it on a windows 7 machine with no issues at all. But I have recently moved back home where my computer runs on windows 10. And I encounter nothing but problems with it eversince.
Drivers have been installed properly, and all the softwares I used worked perfectly fine on the other machine.

Google Earth

The most obnoxious issue is related to Google Earth, I have not seen anybody else complain about it, so I recorded a video to show you the situation. Please kindly click on the link: https://youtu.be/6rngOx0OPQE

The software is capturing a lot of different movements as soon as I touch the navigator. And endlessly moves in those directions until I try to move elsewhere, and the problem happens again but in another direction.

It feels like i'm trying to move the spacemouse while somebody else is fiddling around with the software. Making it unusable with the device.

Blender 2.79

The problem here is different; The spacemouse is working fine in Blender, it captures my movements properly. But the problem comes when I try to change the properties of my navigator: Nothing happens.

I tried to invert some directions, adjust the rotation speed of some angles, but nothing applies. The speed remains the same and the direction aswell.

I can use it like that, but rotation speed is too slow by default, so I ended up switching back to my mouse workflow. Which wasn't really what I intended to do when I bought this product.

Firefox, Chrome, Discord, etc.

I don't know if the problem is related, but when I was using the spacemouse on the other machine (Windows 7), the forward rotation of my spacemouse allowed me to scroll up/down the pages.

It doesn't work on this machine.

There, I hope there is a way to fix those issues, because I ran out of ideas.
Looking forward for your answer, thank you in advance for your time.
UtaSH

Re: Spacenavigator problems Google Earth (and other softwares)

Post by UtaSH »

Hello DGF,

these are three different issues.
  1. Google Earth: the navigation with the 3D mouse was integrated by Google directly. I suggest you try
    1. calibrating (*) and
    2. if removing the user-specific config file (**) for Google Earth solves the issue.
    If all this doesn't help please contact Google for help.
  2. Blender: the Blender community has integrated the support for the 3D mouse by addressing the device directly and did not make use of our our SDK. Therefore any changes you make to the axes settings in the driver UI do not have any effect. (They just don't care. :()
  3. Firefox, Chrome, ...: this is a weird one. I suggest you try as well if removing the existing user-specific settings would solve the issue. See here how to do that.
:idea:
(*) Right-click to the 3Dconnexion icon in the system tray and the selecting “Calibrate”. You will be asked “not to touch the cap while LEDs are blinking”. Confirm and wait until the process is finished (just a few seconds). Another window will inform you that the calibration is finished.

(**)"C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\GoogleEarth.xml"
DGF

Post by DGF »

UtaSH,

Thank you for your answer.

Before contacting you, I reinstalled the drivers and did a backup of the folder. The GoogleEarth.xml file was present in this folder.
But after checking in the location you pointed out, I realized there is no GoogleEarth.xml file. Despite the fact I already used the softwares a couple times trying to solve the issue. (after the backup)

I actually already tried to calibrate and delete the .xmf file (you mentioned this fix in another thread) but it didn't work. I guess I will have to contact Google.

About Blender (and the other softwares); The changes I applied to the axes setting in the driver UI were actually working on the other machine i was using. I had no such issues before, this problem doesn't concern Blender specifically, it does concern every software.

Do you have any idea what could be causing this issue?

Thank you in advance,
Looking forward for your reply.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi DGF,

you mentioned that you had already removed the XML file for Google. Have you tried if removing all existing settings on your machine would change the situation? See here how to do that.
thales

Post by thales »

I have the same problem running Google Earth, it used to be just fine some weeks back.
thales

Post by thales »

UtaSH wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:21 am Hi DGF,

you mentioned that you had already removed the XML file for Google. Have you tried if removing all existing settings on your machine would change the situation? See here how to do that.
This did not work too. :?
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello thales,

I am sorry that my solution didn't solve the problem. As I already mentioned before
the navigation with the 3D mouse was integrated by Google directly. ... please contact Google for help.
Just before you contact Google just make sure that you verify that the device works fine. You can do this by starting the 3Dconnexion Viewer for example and see if you can navigate the object.
ajones

Post by ajones »

Strangely as per one of the comments in the video disconnecting then reconnecting to the USB does fix the issue.

I found when it was moving around without any user input you can dial it out by slowly working the stick in the opposite directions to the movement.