Unreal Engine Support

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

JCSI

Unreal Engine Support

Post by JCSI »

Hi, will there be any unreal engine support coming soon? I work hand in hand with 3DSMax and Unreal and it would be great if I could have the same freedom of functionality and performance that I achieve with my space mouse in both apps.

:D
drasticdsemulator

Re: Unreal Engine Support

Post by drasticdsemulator »

I don't know but if Unreal Engine Support is coming it will be a good thing.
ksquared64

Post by ksquared64 »

There may be a solution - check out https://github.com/ParcelRot/SpaceNav3D

You will need to download the SDK to make this work.

-- Ksquared64
mmoraisdois

Post by mmoraisdois »

prealphadev

Post by prealphadev »

rejoice there is now support added in the 10.7.1 , however from my testing on 4.26 it seems to be broken or missing some libraries...
tomnel

Post by tomnel »

It's very complicated getting this to work but it works.

I had to unzip the "3DxWare64_v10-7-1_r3280.exe" installer and go into the unzipped folder,
there I ran "3DxUnreal64.msi" which installed the plugin into the harddrive but not into unreal, even though it looks like it did.
I then went into the plugin installed folder "C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxUnreal\Plugins\4.26\"
I then copied "TDxUnrealEditor" to "X:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.26\Engine\Plugins" and started unreal but it wouldn't load
so I went into another plugin folder in "X:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.26\Engine\Plugins\FX\Niagara" opened a "Niagara.uplugin" in notepad and copied the "BuildId" "14830424" to "X:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.26\Engine\Plugins\TDxUnrealEditor\TDxUnrealEditor.uplugin" opened unreal and opened the plugins panel and went to input devices where I could enable the 3DxUnreal plugin then restarted unreal and now my spacemouse is working!

whew....
3D3DAN

Post by 3D3DAN »

Ok very excited to hear of a success case for this but stuck at the start... what ZIP??? it is just a EXE that downloads from the 3dconnexion site. I even tried the 32bit link, and the archived driver, also EXE.
jwick

Post by jwick »

You can run unzip / 7-zip / etc on that exe. It will pull out all the pieces.
chaninja

Post by chaninja »

tomnel wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:23 am It's very complicated getting this to work but it works.

I had to unzip the "3DxWare64_v10-7-1_r3280.exe" installer and go into the unzipped folder,
there I ran "3DxUnreal64.msi" which installed the plugin into the harddrive but not into unreal, even though it looks like it did.
I then went into the plugin installed folder "C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxUnreal\Plugins\4.26\"
I then copied "TDxUnrealEditor" to "X:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.26\Engine\Plugins" and started unreal but it wouldn't load
so I went into another plugin folder in "X:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.26\Engine\Plugins\FX\Niagara" opened a "Niagara.uplugin" in notepad and copied the "BuildId" "14830424" to "X:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.26\Engine\Plugins\TDxUnrealEditor\TDxUnrealEditor.uplugin" opened unreal and opened the plugins panel and went to input devices where I could enable the 3DxUnreal plugin then restarted unreal and now my spacemouse is working!

whew....
This is a great hack that worked however the file that needs to be updated is "C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxUnreal\Plugins\4.26\TDxUnrealEditor\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor.modules" not the TDxUnrealEditor.uplugin file like you said, and you can get the Niagara BuildId from its respective UE4Editor.modules file.

Almost gave up but glad I didnt! The offical plugin works much better than the Microdee alternative. Pls correct the build issue 3D connexion team.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

chaninja wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:49 am Pls correct the build issue 3D connexion team.
We have. The bug is tracked with reference (WIN-782). Sorry for the inconvenience.

More details in this post.
Nuno Gomes
spaceforrobots

Post by spaceforrobots »

Hello,

I am also interested in using the spacemouse with Unreal Engine. I was able to figure out that the official 3D Connexion plugin for Unreal Engine comes with the regular installer. I had to check an extra checkbox below the main window. I was wondering, though, how do you access the Unreal Engine plugin from unreal engine? I don't see it in the plugins list. How do you add the official plugin to the Unreal IDE?

Thanks
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

spaceforrobots wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:28 pm I was wondering, though, how do you access the Unreal Engine plugin from unreal engine? I don't see it in the plugins list. How do you add the official plugin to the Unreal IDE?
What engine version are you using?

Note the 3Dconnexion add-in is for Unreal Editor only. To use a 3D mouse in game play, you can use Raw Input support (already integrated in the engine).
spaceforrobots

Post by spaceforrobots »

Hello,

I am using version 4.24 of Unreal. I would also like to use it with 4.26 if possible, but 2.24. is the priority version.

Thanks
spaceforrobots

Post by spaceforrobots »

Hello,

I mean 4.24, not 2.24.
I don't see how to edit posts on this forum page.

Regards
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

spaceforrobots wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:44 am I am using version 4.24 of Unreal.
Our plugin supports Unreal Editor v. 4.24. You will need to have v. 10.7.1 of 3DxWare 10 or newer installed with the add-in enabled during installation. You mentioned that you had to "check an extra checkbox below the main window", suggesting that you already have 10.7.1 installed. Not sure exactly what you did there but I you may want to try to uninstall 3DxWare 10 and reinstall it.