Unreal Engine Support

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Firebert85

Re: Unreal Engine Support

Post by Firebert85 »

Using the latest 10.7.1 drivers, I'm getting terrible performance in Unreal 4.26.1. It's incredibly laggy.

The opensource Github drivers were at one point much more useable than 3DC's official drivers. Anyone else?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Firebert85 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:47 am Using the latest 10.7.1 drivers, I'm getting terrible performance in Unreal 4.26.1. It's incredibly laggy.
We had a look at 4.26.1. Seems fine.

Does the problem persist? I think the first time the Editor is loaded after an update, it needs to pre-compile some data (shaders?). I may be remembering it incorrectly but in our test set-up, all seems well.
reborn_designer

Post by reborn_designer »

I can confirm that the latest 10.7.1 driver works awesome with UE4 4.26.1

** Hopefully you'll add support to move around Blueprints in a similar way as Orthographic views. :D
spaceforrobots

Post by spaceforrobots »

Hello,

I did already have the 3dxware installed. Here is how I installed the unreal plugin and got it working:

Here is what I did:

1. Reboot machine
2. Uninstall 3dxware
3. Reboot machine
4. Re-install all components of 3dxware and delete user settings
5. Reboot machine
6. Make sure the driver installed. some processes will clash with 3dxware
7. Reboot machine
8. Go back into Unreal 4.24.x and go to Edit -> Plugins (very bottom)
9. Under the Installed tab, verify 3d Connexion is installed as a plugin

I can now pan and zoom and rotate and translate my view in Unreal editor.

I would also like to second the sentiment of panning and zooming in the blueprint editor feature: that would be great.
I have not tried unreal version 4.26.X, but I have to stick with 4.24.x for other plugin dependencies I cannot control.
Hopefully their plugin will get updated in the future.
(This one: https://www.presagis.com/en/product/openflight2unreal/)
microdee

Post by microdee »

If you're not satisfied with the 3DConnexion default plugin, you can give my plugin a try https://github.com/microdee/UE4-SpaceMouse, it's free from github and I have test versions over there too, but if you want automatic installation then you can buy it on the marketplace as well (now it's on 50% sale too, I don't remember for how long)
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

ngomes wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:48 pm
Firebert85 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:47 am Using the latest 10.7.1 drivers, I'm getting terrible performance in Unreal 4.26.1. It's incredibly laggy.
We had a look at 4.26.1. Seems fine.

Does the problem persist? I think the first time the Editor is loaded after an update, it needs to pre-compile some data (shaders?). I may be remembering it incorrectly but in our test set-up, all seems well.
Question.. how does one swap the axis behaviors.. im used to running with object mode vs camera mode etc.. ie pull things toward you or push away.. vs the default behavior which is the opposite. The 3dc control panel doesn't seem to respect the invert checkboxes inside unreal. that i can tell.
How do we invert the axis behaviors?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:47 am How do we invert the axis behaviors?
Bring the Unreal Editor to the foreground, then open the "3Dconnexion Properties" panel. Go to the "Advanced Settings" panel for your SpaceMouse and switch the "navigation mode" to "object". You may want to play a bit with the different navigation modes and other settings.
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

OK which is strange because I did swap the checkbox buttons instead for inverting the access is that not what I wanna do are those ignored
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

cjadams wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:42 pm are those ignored
There are not ignored but "camera mode" with all axes inverted is not the same as "object mode". The difference is where the centre-of-rotation (CoR) is positioned: in "camera mode", the CoR is placed on the camera "eye" position; in "object mode", there's a heuristic process to determine where to place it (it varies whether the model is in full view or or the camera is up close to it).
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

I know it just came out.. but has anyone been able to get the spacemouse to load in UE5? - I did try using the update build # trick. but that wasn't enough. since too much has changed i'm guessing.. since the plugin won't load period..
Sqwert

Post by Sqwert »

Just came here for the same reason.

Hard to go back to any other control method after using 3D mouse :) :D
cjadams

Post by cjadams »

yeah i tried changing the bulls number but no luck
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Earlier today, July 7th, 3Dconnexion published version 10.7.4 of 3DxWare 10 for Windows with preliminary support for Unreal Editor v. 5.0EA.

Since the new UE version is not yet finalised, the plugin is not enabled by default and the binaries must be copied manually. For additional details, refer to the "readme.txt" in the "3DxUnreal" installation directory (normally C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxUnreal).

The software is available for download from this page.
eobet

Post by eobet »

ngomes wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:39 am Earlier today, July 7th, 3Dconnexion published version 10.7.4 of 3DxWare 10 for Windows with preliminary support for Unreal Editor v. 5.0EA.

Since the new UE version is not yet finalised, the plugin is not enabled by default and the binaries must be copied manually. For additional details, refer to the "readme.txt" in the "3DxUnreal" installation directory (normally C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxUnreal).

The software is available for download from this page.
So how do you activate the plugin in 4.27?

I tried it for 4.26 but it kept crashing for me so I had to get rid of it, but now I downloaded the drivers again and ticked the Unreal plugin option, but nothing seems to happen in Unreal and I don't seem to have any new plugins to choose from in the editor either.
peterbowenpm

Post by peterbowenpm »

I believe that we will have to wait for the next windows driver release that supports 4.27. What would be good in addition is a beta driver to work with UE5 early access.