Using old device (like Space traveler) on W7 with new Apps

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Fred

Post by Fred »

There are no Windows drivers for the SpaceExplorer Serial.
This device only had support for Linux,Unix.
madmark

USB Converters

Post by madmark »

Wouldn't necessarily work. I know earlier spaceballs took their power from the serial port, and many rs232<->USB converters cannot provide the necessary power. I seem to recall some workarounds for powering these if you're handy with solder.
redchick

Re: Using old device (like Space traveler) on W7 with new Ap

Post by redchick »

First off, I usually take advice from forums but never bother posting until now. I registered here simply to say thanks to indrema and Witch Doctor. BRILLIANT ADVICE - GENIUS!

I have a Space Traveler (which was expensive in it's day but worth every penny in productivity) and was gutted to find out the driver support had stopped. Kinda furious, and was faced with buying a new 3D controller. However I tried the advice here and I have it up and running with 3ds Max 2013 64-bit, and am so so pleased!

I unzipped the archived Space Traveler software v3-7-22 and installed the 64-bit 3DxWare driver.

Then I unzipped the latest Space Navigator software v3-15-6-r1281 and installed the 64-bit driver for 3DxStudio.

Opend 3ds Max 2013 64-bit and all works!! I have access to the 3DxWare control panel (to reverse all my axes as I am used to) and within Max I can access the control panel and can customise buttons. Perfect!

THANKS AGAIN!
tcd_333

Post by tcd_333 »

Many thanks Witchdoctor, got spaceball 4000 running with SW 2011.
DavidS

SpaceMouse Classic serial (aka Logitech Magellan) on XP & W7

Post by DavidS »

SpaceMouse Classic serial (aka Logitech Magellan) on Windows XP 32bit and Windows 7 64bit
Driver 2.8.2 in 32 and 64 bit versions as per initial posts in this thread. (BIG thanks for those posts!)

Do you get an error message such as "3Dconnexion driver cannot detect a 3D device" or "3Dconnexion driver cannot acces serial port COM 1"?
This is how I fixed it on my computers.

The SpaceMouse Classic can function as a 6DOF 3Dd mouse (with the appropriate driver) or appear as a normal Microsoft mouse.

At startup the operating system will listen tp all detected serial ports. If any incoming character (byte) is detected on a port the operating system will initiate a handshake with a presumed Microsoft mouse. The SpaceMouse classic will respond to such a handshake by reverting to a Microsoft mouse compatible mode, and thus from the operating system´s perspective become such a mouse.

From that moment on the plug-and-play mechanism kicks in and installs a mouse driver for the serial port at hand, and the serial port becomes locked to that (Microsoft mouse) driver. This in turn will prevent the 3Dconnexion driver to get access to the SpaceMouse.

The solution is to go to the Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager - Mice and other pointing devices - Microsoft Serial Mouse
and then right click and choose "Disable".

Do not use "Uninstall" as this will not stay permantent after the next start up. Just choose "Disable" as this will leave the mouse driver disconnected from now on, even after re-boots of the computer.

With the Microsoft Serial Mouse driver disabled, restart the computer and then run the 3Dconnecxion "Start driver" program. The 3Dconnexion demos should now work. (all on the 32bit XP and the chicken demo (but not the box demo) on Windows 7 64 bit)

David
TimChege

Re: My off-the-cuff install instructions

Post by TimChege »

Witch Doctor wrote:Kiwi, hopefully this helps. It sounds like you need the 3.10.1 driver instead, as it seems to communicate with the 2.8.2 driver better (but not perfectly). I'm just a regular user that happens to like the old-school SpaceBall, and figured this out through trial and error. These instructions are hackish in the worst way and are totally unsupported! Don't ask 3dconnexion for support on this! As we all know, the SpaceBall is about 4 years out of support, and it looks like Windows 7 may be the final nail in its coffin. Shame, but I certainly got mileage out of mine!

Install instructions for 32-bit Win7
- Get both drivers
--- Go to 3dconnexion's site and locate the driver download area.
--- For Product, choose CadMan (that's right!) and 32-bit Windows. (SpaceBall 4000 will also work, but the CadMan allows the 64-bit XP driver).
--- Download the 2.8.2 driver.
--- Go back to the driver download page and choose SpaceNavigator, then 32-bit Win7, and check the box to show archived software.
--- Download 3dxsoftware 3.10.1 (not 3.11.3 or 3.8.2).
--- Download and install 7-Zip from http://www.7-zip.com.
- Extract both drivers
--- Right-click each downloaded driver package, and use 7-Zip to expand them.
--- Now, go into the expanded directory of each, and use 7-Zip again to expand the installer within.
- Install the serial driver
--- Uninstall ALL 3dconnexion software first, reboot, and make sure the msiexec.exe process isn't running. You want a "clean" system.
--- Go into the expanded 2.8.2 driver directory > components > 3DxWare. Run "3Dconnexion 3Dxware.msi" and do a CUSTOM install. Don't tweak anything in the custom section; just let it use the default custom options. (Weird, huh?) It'll hang if you use the standard install.
--- When done, test the serial driver by opening one of the 3dconnexion demos from the 3dconnexion Programs folder. It should work, and the SpaceBall should beep when the driver is loaded and unloaded by the demo.
- Install the SolidWorks plugin
--- Go into the expanded 3.10.1 directory > components32 > 3DxSolidWorks. Run "3DxSolidWorks32.msi" and do a standard install.
- Launch SolidWorks. The SpaceBall should beep (if you have beeps enabled in 3DxWare) and you should get the "old-style" 3dconnexion driver window. It should work!

Problems:
- It looks like the 3Dcontrol menu is unusable. I haven't done much testing, but it looks like hotkeys may not be programmable anymore. You can set up a profile in 3DxWorks but it's somewhat "fiddly."

Hi @WitchDoctor, THANK YOU! for sharing this. I just got a Spaceball 5000 USB (I preferred it much better to the new ones when searching for a 3D Controller). I have been able to download the 2.8.2 driver but cant find the 3.10.1 driver on the website, I've even searched under "All" OSs for the SpaceNavigator but it seems they've removed it. Would you therefore happen to still have a copy of this driver??
TimChege

Post by TimChege »

Hi All, I recently bought the Spaceball 5000 USB and therefore need to use WitchDoctors method of installing it in Windows 7. I have been able to get a copy of the 2.8.2 drivers from the 3DConnexion website but I haven't been able to get the 3.10.1 drivers. It seems as though they have removed it from there website even under Archived Software. Therefore, would any of you still happen to have a copy of the 3.10.1 drivers? I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks
ionutciofu

Post by ionutciofu »

Hallo to all.

I have a few days on forum, reading, searching...and i didn't find a way to make my older device work.

I have a 3dconnexion PLUS XT with serial output. Until now works very easy on windows xp, but since we change de OS and also de computers in our company, i have a big problem now.

The only way to connect on those new computers is with USB port or HDMI(i don't know if he recognise that signal) ...

I bought a serial to USB adapter, and i tried a thousand times to connect, but doesn't work. He make that sound like when you start the windows, but nothing else.

The only older driver what i have is 2.8.2, also i didn't find the other drivers like 3.10.1.etc..and I use 3.2.9 - 3.7.22 - 3.16.3

The OS is now windows 7 x64 and the software is CATIA v5.

If anyone already has found a solution(or has that driver 3.10.1) please help me, at least to check also with that driver..Thank you very much!.
Michal3

Post by Michal3 »

Hello,
help me please. Please I need drivers 3DxSoftware64_v3-10-1_r852.exe file.
Could someone send it to me? Thank you very much. Michal.
m***@***.com

moderator comment: removing email address from post due to policy reasons
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Michal3,

you can download the last avaialble driver for the SpaceTraveler from our download site. Please check the tickbox "Also show archived software".
juergen

Post by juergen »

Hi,

I am also searching for driver 3-10-1. Searched hours, but couldn't find it anywhere to download.

Can someone please point me to a downloadlink to 3DxSoftware64_v3-10-1_r852.exe? Or perhaps upload it to dropbox, google, ...?

Thank you very much!
zaphod402

Re: Nice!

Post by zaphod402 »

Witch Doctor wrote:Kiwi, glad my instructions helped. I spent a few nights (and a few beers) figuring it out. I was going to test it with Win7 x64 this weekend, but you beat me to it! Thanks!

A note to everyone; if you're running 64-bit Windows and use a serial 3dconnexion device, you'll want to download the 64-bit CadMan driver, regardless of your product. It appears to be the only 64-bit 2.8.2 (serial) driver that they made.

Another note: if you drill down to the specific 3DxWare installer in the 2.8.2 driver as mentioned above, you shouldn't have to mess around with any vestigial SolidWorks plug-ins; it only installs the serial driver. The main "setup.exe" is sort of a meta-installer that tries to install the driver, the older plugins, etc. Good to know it worked on your config, though. When I was testing, the meta-installer (setup.exe) would hang, and the only way to get it to install reliably was to run the 3DxWare installer by itself.

I'm going to see if there's any sort of config file or registry keys where I can put SolidWorks-specific customizations.
thank you Witch Doctor for this post, I bought a "new in the box" space mouse plus from 3D connexion via amazon 2 weeks ago and could not get it to work until I read your post.
now I will start the process of learing how to control it.

thanks again
Zaphod
motomatt

Post by motomatt »

Does anyone know if a USB Space Mouse Plus will work with CATIA V5 running on WIndows 7 64 bit?
I've got one coming for next week and really need to get some work done.
It appears that some of the drivers mentioned in the instructions are no longer available from the 3dconnexion website.
Any chance someone has them stored somewhere?
Thanks in advance for any and all help.
motomatt

Post by motomatt »

BUMP! CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP? GOT MY HARDWARE AND NEED TO GET SOME WORK DONE THIS WEEK!
SEEMS LIKE 3DCONNEXION HAS OBSOLETED THE DRIVERS NEEDED FOR THE SPACE MOUSE PLUS WORK AROUND
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hello motomatt,

I apologize the trouble you have to get our legacy driver. It should be available in our archive, but there is currently a problem with the database.

Note that we do not have a driver for Windows 7 for the SpaceMouse Plus. When the SpaceMouse Plus was supported Windows 7 hadn't been released. You can try to install the driver for Windows XP. Note that this is not supported officially by 3Dconnexion. But I have heard that it can work. ;)

Please go to the archive and do not select a device, but select "Windows XP 64bit" (or "Windows XP 32bit" depending on what you need). Download 3DxSoftware 3.7.22. This version should support the SpaceTraveler.

For your future work I recommend to update your device to one of our latest products. :)