Rhino 6 Windows Rotate changes direction mid rotation

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

devingray

Rhino 6 Windows Rotate changes direction mid rotation

Post by devingray »

I'm using a SpaceNavigator on my Microsoft Surface Book 2 in Rhino 6 for Windows.

FYI - I prefer to use up/down for zoom and I also prefer to twist/rotate the knob to rotate the camera on the z-axis.
I've attached my exported settings (I tried, but the file type wasn't accepted, so any questions regarding my settings, please ask!). You'll also see I purposely 'lock horizon', and therefore don't require the sideways tilt option.

The issue - Focusing on rotating/twisting the knob... If I am rotating in one direction and then simultaneously tilt the camera forward or backward to look up or down, as the camera's view vertically crosses the 'camera's horizon' the direction of the rotation begins reversing and spinning in the opposite direction.

I used to use Rhino for Mac and that never happened, I could rotate in one direction tilting over and under my model the whole way around without it losing control. Using the SpaceNavigator was an absolute pleasure, but ever since I started using the 3D mouse on my Windows laptop it has been far more difficult and super frustrating.

If you understand my explanation, then you should be able to imagine the fault that would arise when looking at my model perfectly level with the ground plane and simply trying to rotate around it in some direction only to have the camera basically freeze and not move at all because it doesn't know which way to go.

I've tried a million different setting combinations and I cannot find a solution. Please save me!

Meanwhile, I have been using the sideways tilt option to rotate, so I've disabled the twist/rotate option, but using sideways tilt as the z-axis rotate is very awkward.

Thanks in advance for your help!
luping

Re: Rhino 6 Windows Rotate changes direction mid rotation

Post by luping »

Maybe you have to list your version of 3DxWare, file version of your Rhino 6.
cairn

Post by cairn »

Any solution for this?
Suffering exactly the same...

3DXware version 10.06.001
Spacemouse Pro
Rhino 6 SR19

BTW the problem is only with Rhino v6
Works fine with Rhino v5
devingray

Post by devingray »

Any solution for this?
Suffering exactly the same...
I'm so glad to hear I'm not alone.

This is still seriously frustrating the hell out of me! The SpaceNavigator is freakin' useless.

Tilting the knob left and right to orbit around my model while pushing the base of the knob left or right to pan is so awkward that it's embarrassing the heck out of me when I try to fly around my model upon my boss's request!

Why isn't anybody looking into this and resolving it?

Why can't I simply swap the functions of 'twisting' the knob and 'tilting' the knob. I don't need to roll the awe of my camera - I 'lock horizon'!!! I want to 'twist' the knob to orbit!!
DavidV

Post by DavidV »

Hello Devingray,

I'm a tech for 3Dconnexion and have a few questions.

What version of the 3Dconnexion Driver are you using?

Also do you have any special plugins installed on Rhino?

I've been trying to reproduce and troubleshoot on my end but have been unsuccessful.
tmixer

Post by tmixer »

Same issue here in Rhino 6 - got to be a setting someplace
tmixer

Post by tmixer »

I'll reply here - I'm on a mac rhino 6 latest version of the drivers Version 1.1.3 (1.1.3.115) ( 3d connexion home )

Mojave 10.14.5
tmixer

Post by tmixer »

3dxware 10.6.4
3dxmacore version 1.1.3
tmixer

Post by tmixer »

Only Rhino 6 mac - on all of my computers. Please address this someone. :(
tmixer

Post by tmixer »

SOLVED

I'm sorry - meant to post this in Mac rhino 6. However I'm pleased to report the issue is solved from the Rhino 6 mac / options / views . Then you set rotation relative to view.

I just got my life back!

Cheers
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi tmixer,

glad to hear the issue seem to be solved. Can you please let us know your exact version of Rhino?
Intuos

Post by Intuos »

I was about to report the same issue a few weeks ago but couldn't reproduce it. It seems to be related to viewport orientation in relation to the world space. For instance, if I rotate my view in the perspective view by ~180 degrees (not sure where the exact boundary conditions are), the driver's button settings can get reversed. Reversing the buttons in the driver only goes so far, because once you do so, they will inevitably be reversed at some later point in time. At the moment with all buttons reversed, the object moves in the same direction that I move the puck (i.e. to the left if I move the puck to the left), is this the default behavior?.

I'm using Rhino 6.21. 19351.9141, with driver 10.6.4 and Grasshopper objects (Pufferfish, Wombat & Peacock as plugins atm). While trying to capture my screen, I did notice that in the scene "large objects - mm" once I draw tiny objects and open a large Grasshopper mesh, the driver's speed does not recalibrate properly. So it moves the large model as though it is the small object, though I never noticed this before.
jdschell

Post by jdschell »

This is still an issue. When rotating below the world-top cplane, the rotation flips (reverses) automatically. This happens even if "auto" is deselected in the 3dconnexion settings for rhino. I am running Rhino 6, and have 3dconnexion software 10.7.0.3248.
Lucio

Post by Lucio »

Hi, to avoid the "rotation flip" try to disable the "dominant" option in Rhino's 3dconnexion plug-in.
In Rhino's command bar run _SpaceMouse and select the option "Dominant".
cairn

Post by cairn »

'Dominant' has no effect on this, it only toggles between moving all axes simultaneously, or one dominant one at a time.
This is still an infuriating issue that gets in the way every session.
It must be possible to fix, as it didn't behave this way before!
Grr...
Interestingly, it doesn't happen in Fusion 360, maybe the solution can be discovered by looking at the differeences? Just a thought..