Invalid File Found

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

gibson1

Invalid File Found

Post by gibson1 »

Hello,

First time user of SpaceMouse. This happens whenever I go into the mouse Properties dialog for a new application that has never been configured for SpaceMouse. I goto Advanced Settings, and make a property change, like check a checkbox, and I immediately get a popup error message:

"Invalid File Found
{InvalidFileName} is invalid in 17.6.4. XML document must have a top level element."

This only happens once, since I suspect no .xml file has yet been created for this application.
Is this normal behavior? Because, as a new user, it seems unusual to me.

Using:
3DxWare 10 for Windows (64-bit)
UtaSH

Re: Invalid File Found

Post by UtaSH »

Hi gibson1,

does the file in that location exist? I assume that the location mentioned in the error message is C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore64\Cfg ?

Do you have an XML file with that name in your folder %APPDATA%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg ?

Do you get the error message each time you start the driver (= when you log in)? Or each time you start AutoDesk Moldflow?
gibson1

Post by gibson1 »

Whenever I get that error message, I have no .xml files with that particular name in my roaming application folder.
But, they do get created afterwards, so no issues there. The message doesn't appear anywhere else.

I was just wondering, as this seems to be verbose debugging information that perhaps somebody forgot to turn off.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi gibson1,

is the path to the XML file in your error message pointing to your AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\... folder or to C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore64\Cfg?
gibson1

Post by gibson1 »

All .xml files are created in my roaming application folder, such as:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\3DxTest.xml
gibson1

Post by gibson1 »

There's also a .xml file of the same name in the Program Files folder too:
C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore64\Cfg\3DxTest.xml

But, the two .xml files contain different data, and are different file sizes, so they're not the same.
gibson1

Post by gibson1 »

And if I delete the .xml file in the roaming appdata folder, I can recreate the "Invalid File Found" system tray popup error message again.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi gibson1,

thanks for the detailed information. We are tracking this issue with our internal bug number WIN-568. I will come back to you when I have new information.
I3art

Post by I3art »

I have the same error. Also when setting speed for a "new" application. Again every time I have rebooted my system.
Software verions:
3DxWare 10.6.6.3194
3DxWinCore: 17.6.6.17336
Device:
SpaceNavigator (FW: 3.18)
I3art

Post by I3art »

I might have solved it. Setting 3Dconnection Properties to "Run as Administrator" seems to help.
UtaSH

Post by UtaSH »

Hi I3art,

if you run the driver with admin privileges you very likely get in trouble when using it with your CAD applications.
I suggest you remove the existing settings to have a "clean" installation. Then you shouldn't see these errors anymore. See here how to remove existing user-specific settings.
mhoopes

Post by mhoopes »

I ran into that message when trying to edit %appdata%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\AdobeReader.xml. When I saved the file in notepad++, the notification came up in Windows 10, and the xml file disappeared!

I reset my settings as Uta described above, installed 10.6.5, ran notepad++ in admin mode. Don't know if those last two were necessary, but I wanted one-shot-one-kill, and it worked.

By the way, the reason I was editing my Adobe Reader configuration is that I've noticed that all I want is smooth vertical scrolling like I get with PDF docs in Google Chrome, using the mouse wheel emulation Rx axis. Up/down (Z) is much more awkward for doc scrolling.

I turned off all axes in 3DxWare (while Adobe Reader was the active app) except Rx, then changed the output of Rx to Z in the xml file:

Code: Select all

<Axis>
          <Enabled>true</Enabled>
          <Input>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Rx</ActionID>
            <Min>-512</Min>
            <Max>511</Max>
          </Input>
          <Output>
            <ActionID>HIDMultiAxis_Z</ActionID>
          </Output>
        </Axis>