Use 3DConnexion mouse as 2D

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

jwick

Re: Use 3DConnexion mouse as 2D

Post by jwick »

A cfg can be made for the app that tells the driver to Ignore it.
E.g., our shipped 3DxHome.xml cfg.
You may have to experiment with the Transport field to identify which transport mechanism needs to be shut off.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

martinweihrauch wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:08 am Would be great to if disabling the default driver behavior for Chrome and MS Edge.
You can simply stop the driver. See the "Stop 3DxWare" shortcut in the Start menu.
Rodrigoil87

Post by Rodrigoil87 »

Hi- I was diagnosed with repetitive motion syndrome in the thumb due to regular 2D mouse use, and found the space mouse design very ergonomic for me. Could someone help me configure the Space Mouse as a 2D mouse? I just want the joystick to move the cursor at all times, for all applications.

Thanks a lot in advance!
nestser

Post by nestser »

Hi, I am also looking for the 2D solution like Rodrigoil87. My OS is Win 10. I want to move the cursor using 3DConnexion stick
nirurin

Post by nirurin »

I'm also looking for this. The link in the original post of this thread is to a forum/page that doesn't seem to exist anymore. I've asked this question already on here but either this forum is also dead or it's just not possible to do this anymore?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Are you looking to use the 3D mouse in 3D applications at all?
LydiaShaw

Post by LydiaShaw »

Dear jwick:
I bought a mouse last month which is SpaceMouse Pro Wireless, and I downloaded the driver of latest version. I wanna my mouse can switch between 3D and 2D. Therefore I followed your reply and tried to config xml.
As you mentioned, the Desktop_2DMouse.xml can not be used any more, but when I downloaded the driver of old version, I found my mouse can not work even in training mode.
Can you give me some files or codes to realize the switch function in the latest version? I can give you my email or you also can directly reply me. Thank you for your kindly and constantly focusing on this issue and you patient reply. Thank you for your work.

Thanks and best regards.

ps:
my email: <jwick: removed email address>
jwick

Post by jwick »

If you switch back and forth between drivers that are sufficiently far apart, your user cfg files will not be compatible and will need to be removed (or upgraded). The latest drivers do a better job of flagging those incompatible files. But older drivers do not handle them well.

The latest driver 10.8.2 should work with your SpaceMouse Pro Wirless.
I can send you a Desktop.xml file replacement that allows you to switch between 2D and 3D modes.
Which button do you want to use to switch between the two modes?
LydiaShaw

Post by LydiaShaw »

Dear Jwick

I think the 'shift' button is better to switch between the two modes. Thank you for your reply and your work.

Best regards.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hello LydiaShaw,

I emailed two files to you: Desktop.xml and Global.xml
Put them into your %appdata%/3Dconnexion/3DxWare/Cfg directory.

The Global.xml file permanently, globally, reserves the Shift key on any 3D mouse for activating a command that switches between the focus-selected cfg and the Desktop.xml cfg. It toggles (press once 2D mode, press again 3D mode, press again 2D mode, ...)

In Desktop.xml, three 3D mouse axes are mapped to 2D mouse functions (x, y, scroll wheel). You can change the axes if you want different axes to activate the mouse functions. You may also want to assign some buttons to activate mouse buttons.

These files will only work with 3DxWare 10.8+ because they make use of a new Global ButtonBank.
The GUI doesn't know about these Global ButtonBanks. You probably have to make changes directly in the XML. I can help you with that.

Jim
LydiaShaw

Post by LydiaShaw »

Hello Everyone!
Thanks for dear jwick's patient reply and help, the files work well now. One I want to point out is the path in everyone's laptop may be different, for example, there are two folders(roaming and local) in %appdata% in my computer and both of them have 3D connexion folder. When jwick mentioned that I need to put the files into %appdata%/3dconnexion/.../cfg, I put wrong one. Although I tried multiple times it didn't work at all. But when I put them into another folder, it works very well! Therefore, please check the folder and path carefully and it will be available.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Typing %appdata% or %localappdata% into the Windows Explorer address bar will always take you to the right place on every machine. They are shortcuts.
xavchow

Post by xavchow »

Hi, could i have the cfg config for 2D mouse too? Also is it possible to map one of the spacemouse wireless buttons to do the toggling between 2D and 3D modes?
jwick

Post by jwick »

xavchow,

Send me a PM with your email address.
The SMW having only 2 buttons is going to be fairly limited in 2D mouse mode if one is reserved for toggling in/out of 2D mouse mode.
xavchow

Post by xavchow »

oh goodness. I cant use the PM function as i just registered. How many post do i need to spam before that function is unlocked?

Thanks (jwick) for the prompt reply though. Very much appreciated. Are you able to send me a PM and I reply from there?