Use 3DConnexion mouse as 2D

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Great

Use 3DConnexion mouse as 2D

Post by Great »

Hello,

I am using a 3DConnexion Mouse and I am wanting to use it as a 2d mouse. (Windows 10, Chrome)
I have followed the following form

"https://www.3dconnexion.co.uk/forum/vie ... 928d469b25"

This has allowed me to navigate around with the mouse as if it was 2D,

In general this works very well, but I have 1 problems,
I am trying to view images on a website using chrome, I can zoom in to the image by twisting which is what I want,
when I want to move up the image I have to left click then move the 3dconnexion mouse, when I do this it does move the the image around but only until the cursor hits to the top or bottom of the screen,

To simplify what I am after, I am wanting to be able to just move the 3dconnexion mouse to navigate around the slides, (is it possible to program a "leftclick" before any movement is made? (if not we can just left click on a mouse, this isnt a massive problem)
and is there a way to navigate around the screen without the cursor position dependence?

Thank you for any advice given,
Please note my XML knowledge isn't strong!

Regards
Great

Re: Use 3DConnexion mouse as 2D

Post by Great »

Sorry, just to clarify, the main thing I am wanting to resolve is the ability to look around images without the cursor hitting the sides of the screen, having to hold a click is not as important and might only be situationally useful for me.
jwick

Post by jwick »

Do you have an example URL for the images?
Great

Post by Great »

Hello,

Example webpage I'm wanting this to work on is "http://www.virtualpathology.leeds.ac.uk ... 318432.svs"

Thanks
G
Great

Post by Great »

Hello,
I am just wondering if anyone had any tips / ideas about my issue?
(Please note, its more then being able to continuously scroll in the image i'm after )

Thanks again for any advice
jwick

Post by jwick »

What do you want to do?

I see that the MouseWheel is extremely sensitive for zooming.
LeftMouseButton + Mouse X&Y works pretty well for panning.

It also has WASD etc support. Simulating that with a 3D mouse isn't likely to be a worthwhile experience.

Can these images be exported in a standard format? Our viewer can read some standard files. It would work better than trying to use mouse/kb emulation.
Great

Post by Great »

Thanks for the info,

While using the 3dConnexion set up with the code you wrote for the 2d image view, if I zoom into the image then want to look around the image (leftclick on the mouse then use the 3dconnexion to navigate around" if I want to look further up to the top of the image, i click then press and hold up, this will move the view to the top of the image, however will stop once the mouse hits the top of the screen,

I was wondering if there is a way to remove this limitation so I can zoom into the centre of the image then look around the whole image without having to let go of the left click move the mouse to the centre, then use the xconnextion mouse to navigate again,

hope that makes sense!
thanks again for your time!
jwick

Post by jwick »

I can automatically move the mouse back to the start position, or the center of the window. It can be done when you release the cap or when the cursor gets to the edge of the window. Unfortunately you see the cursor flying all over the screen. It's pretty annoying.

It requires code. But I'll give you the code and you can modify it yourself to optimize it for your own use (if you can do some programming).
Great

Post by Great »

haha thank you very much,
sounds like that could work,
jwick

Post by jwick »

Which web browser?
Great

Post by Great »

I use Chrome,
Thanks
jwick

Post by jwick »

This isn't half bad:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qberpzy309ryx ... om.7z?dl=0

Download that file and unzip it.
It contains two files, a cfg file (xml) and a DLL.
Make sure you are running the latest 3DxWare (10.6.5 today).

Copy the xml file to your 3DxWinCore default cfg dir. Normally: C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore64\Cfg.

Delete the Chrome.xml file from that directory. This file is used for Chrome. Which means it won't do normal Chrome things anymore. We can address that if necessary.
Delete %appdata%\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg\Chrome.xml if it exists.

Put the DLL into: C:\Program Files\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\3DxWinCore64\Win64\DLLs.

Restart the driver.
Open the path page.

It pans quite well. When you either release the cap, or you get close to the edge of the window, it resets the cursor position and keeps going.

I don't at all like the way it zooms. It is not controllable (IMO). I disabled it. I suggest you use the 2D MouseWheel for that.

Let me know how it works for you. I can either give you the code to continue tuning on your own (or a coding colleague). Or make some more changes for you.

There are a couple of gotchas in the current implementation. It doesn't like it if you go along a single axis. It likes it when both X&Y axes are active. It's a small bug. It also doesn't know about the overview window in the upper right. If the cursor goes over that zooming happens. I can decrease the "movement window" if that is a problem. If this is something you want to go forward with, I can make these changes. Or a coding colleague, can be more responsive to your requests.
Great

Post by Great »

Hello,

Thanks for that,
Have a small issue with it, if I move the 3dconnexion hub left right up or down, it currently acts as a "left click" then I can move the mouse around to look at the image, is it possible to use press left on the 3dconnexion and it to pan left?

when moving the mouse I can keep going in one direction and it navigates around the image very well,

Thanks for looking into this,
jwick

Post by jwick »

We might be misunderstanding each other a bit.
When you say mouse are you referring to the 2D mouse or the 3D mouse?

Panning is meant to work with just the 3D mouse, one handed. When you push the 3D mouse cap (hub) left/right and away/toward you, it should pan the image. It should continue until you reach the edge of the image. It doesn't know when you got to the edge so it will try to continue forever.

It does this by simulating a LMB (Left Mouse Button) press, then Mouse X&Y events. When you release the cap, it releases the LMB and puts the cursor back where it started. If, while the 3D mouse has the LMB down, you also move the 2D mouse, it will pan the image, also.
Great

Post by Great »

Sorry will clarify

So If i push a direction on the 3d mouse, it only "left clicks", I can then move the normal 2d mouse around to navigate around the slide, this does not hit any edges,

so for me the 3d mouse is not allowing me to look around the slide,

Thanks,