keyboard, mouse and joystick emulation ?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

AxelRod

Re: keyboard, mouse and joystick emulation ?

Post by AxelRod »

jwick wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:43 am Could you list the games you are using our devices with? It might help us prioritize.
Hello jwick, Long time CAD user and I've used many of the 3Dconnection products over the years. Thank you! I can't believe how accurate they are and I've never had one fail.

if we are listing games; Elite Dangerous. The game can remap to just about any mouse x/y or joystick input. Ideally a set of joystick axes.
sliding the puck around for one joystick
tilting for second joystick
pulling the puck up/down, and twisting for a third Joystick

I would guess there should be either a large deadzone, or axis filtering as you described.

what would something like this look like?
jwick

Post by jwick »

Hello AxelRod,

1) Create a cfg for the app so the driver knows it has to do something special for the app. The easiest way to do this is just to make some change in our GUI while your app is running. It will write a valid XML file for you to start with.

2) Change the cfg to tell the driver to send Joystick events. Edit the file in Step 1. Copy over the <ButtonActions> and <Devices> sections from our %ProgramFiles%/3dconnexion/3dxware/3DxWinCore/Cfg/JoystickTemplate.xml file.

At that point, when your game is running, the driver should use your file and send joystick events for the axes. You can then use the game's GUI to tell the game what to do with those joystick events.

There are some third party joystick configuration apps that look like they work very well if the game doesn't have the configuration capabilities you are looking for. The driver has some customizability, but these other apps are much more feature rich.
AxelRod

Post by AxelRod »

Thanks jwick, i appreciate the response. I did get the driver to work, but soon found that i could not adjust the sensitivity. I instead choose to test controlmyjoystick and was able to setup the curves i wanted without needing to move the puck to its limits for control.
jwick

Post by jwick »

That's good to read. Some of those control apps are quite impressive. Now people have another one to look at (ControlMyJoystick).

I looked at their tutorial video. They did a fantastic job.
robined

Post by robined »

jwick wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:32 am Hello AxelRod,

1) Create a cfg for the app so the driver knows it has to do something special for the app. The easiest way to do this is just to make some change in our GUI while your app is running. It will write a valid XML file for you to start with.

2) Change the cfg to tell the driver to send Joystick events. Edit the file in Step 1. Copy over the <ButtonActions> and <Devices> sections from our %ProgramFiles%/3dconnexion/3dxware/3DxWinCore/Cfg/JoystickTemplate.xml file.

At that point, when your game is running, the driver should use your file and send joystick events for the axes. You can then use the game's GUI to tell the game what to do with those joystick events.

There are some third party joystick configuration apps that look like they work very well if the game doesn't have the configuration capabilities you are looking for. The driver has some customizability, but these other apps are much more feature rich.
Thank you so very much for this explanation - for some reason this kind of documentation is really hard to find for a new user!