Rhino.Inside Revit

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Intuos

Rhino.Inside Revit

Post by Intuos »

So I tried out Rhino.Inside Revit today and noticed that, unfortunately, the Rhino window in Revit it is registered as Revit.exe by the driver. This means I won't be able to configure/ use my Spacemouse pro with settings specifically for Rhino. Furthermore, the navigation settings are all pulled from Revit, which causes navigation in the Rhino window to be extremely slow (insensitive) compared to a well functioning Revit navigation. Is there anything that can be done about this?
Alakelele

Re: Rhino.Inside Revit

Post by Alakelele »

Same here and I can't use my Spacemouse in Revit as soon as I open Rhino inside Revit, that's going to be a tough one but I am sure you have talented coders.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Issue internally tracked at 3Dconnexion with reference WIN-779 (also logged by McNeel as RH-62038).
Nuno Gomes
Intuos

Post by Intuos »

Hi @ngomes,
This is a crosspost from the Mcneel forum on the issue, because the issue still persists.

I tested Rhino.Inside Revit using driver 10.6.8. In Revit (2021), I am unable to navigate, whereas it is very slow in Rhino.Inside.Revit, compared to Rhino itself. Even though the settings were equal. Furthermore, I noticed that Rhino 7 does not adhere to the lock horizon setting. See screencast here: https://we.tl/t-5PjSw72ZKT (link expires in one week from now).

I updated to the latest driver, by checking and unchecking the lock horizon button, the lock horizon functionality works again. Both Rhino.Inside.Revit and Revit are read from Revit.xml for the button config, which I guess is to be expected. However, because Revit is not officially supported in the 3dconnexion software, the additional functionality found under Navigation Modes in the driver is not available. This means, lock horizon and any of the other navigation options cannot be used in Rhino.Inside.Revit, as opposed to Rhino 7.

Although, the 3d mouse works fine when booting up Revit, as soon as Rhino.Inside is launched, it stops functioning. In Rhino.Inside.Revit, the movement speed seems to be fixed now. Though the 3dmouse completely freezes as soon as Rhino.Inside is started. Here are some additional screencasts made using 3dconnexion 10.7.2 (the latest driver downloaded just now), all the screencasts, including the one with the older driver were from Revit 2021, Rhino version is (7.4.21078.1001, 2021-03-19).
And the screencasts with driver 10.7.2: https://we.tl/t-jPTdKeeyB7 (link expires in one week from now).

I really hope this issue can be resolved!
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Intuos wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:43 pm Although, the 3d mouse works fine when booting up Revit, as soon as Rhino.Inside is launched, it stops functioning. In Rhino.Inside.Revit, the movement speed seems to be fixed now. Though the 3dmouse completely freezes as soon as Rhino.Inside is started.
I'm not sure I follow. You're saying Revit stops working when "Rhino.Inside.Revit" is started but "movement speed seems fixed" in "Rhino.Inside.Revit" only to "completely freeze"?

We have a few team members away from work this week. WIN-779 is not yet closed, so I don't know if the work is all done yet. We're collaborating with McNeel in an attempt to resolve this.
Intuos

Post by Intuos »

I understand the confusion, because it concerns one program hosted within another. The main issue still is that the moment I launch Rhino from within Revit, this freezes the 3dmouse within Revit's viewports. Meaning Revit by itself is fine, Rhino standalone works fine, but Rhino inside of Revit, specifically, causes the 3dmouse inputs to be completely ignored for Revit. It does not matter whether or not I close Rhino within Revit, as soon as Rhino.Inside.Revit is activated, I cannot navigate inside of Revit anymore. To be clear, if I want to use Grasshopper or any other features of Rhino.Inside.Revit within Revit, that will also break the navigation.
This button is the culprit .png
This button is the culprit .png (19.15 KiB) Viewed 3314 times
In Rhino.Inside.Revit, there used to be a problem with Rhino's viewport navigation in terms of movement speed. This speed and related settings, were different from Rhino standalone, but this now seems to be working correctly. So although I cannot navigate Revit Except from the missing "Navigation Modes" settings that does not exist for Revit and therefore won't work for Rhino inside of Revit.
I think that the linked wetransfer videos will clarify what I meant to write here.