SpaceMouse to Midi

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

DHoude

SpaceMouse to Midi

Post by DHoude »

Hi, I have seen some SpaceNavigtator threads for this but not the SpaceMouse. Forgive me if they are still the same thing.

I am a VJ for live events and want to be able to move objects on my output screen in Resloume. Resolume already did all the hard work getting Midi controls and I can easily do this with TouchOSC. But some complex movements need two control devices and I love the way this SpaceMouse works in Fusion 360. I was just wondering what the most efficient way to get the SpaceMouse to control/output midi?

I saw in this thread https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewt ... 25&p=74700 that it is possible that the 3DxWinCore driver could supply this data. Has there been an app or something to interface with this data? Does there need to be?

ControlMyJoystick looks cool, but I can't yet figure out how to get the JoyStick data to Midi. But I have this linked up and I see the control sliders moving with SpaceMouse.

The MJoy app gives me "Invalid Device ID" when I start it. And 3DMIDIGator seems to be just a DLL, so I am not quite sure what to do with that. When reading the install instructions of the "RBC9 driver" and hearing that the "3DxWinCore" driver could already supply this data I was just hoping there is a better way.

I use Windows 10, SpaceMouse wireless, and I use Resolume 7.2 for VJing. I am not a programmer but I am advanced enough to get technical with a little direction. Thanks for any guidance you can offer!
UtaSH

Re: SpaceMouse to Midi

Post by UtaSH »

Hi DHoude,

you can find a list of supported applications on our website. Resolume is not listed.

In order to use it with 3Dconnexion devices, support for 3D devices would need to be added inside this software. Adding 3D device support to an application is determined by the application developer rather than by 3Dconnexion. We have an SDK [Development Kit] which any software developer can download at no cost and which allows the integration of 3D device support in proprietary software. Please see here for more details.

We advise our customers to contact the Customer Service of applications that are lacking support and request it be added in future versions of their software. The decision to include 3D support in their development schedule is often influenced by the level of customer interest.

I recommend that you contact Resolume and express your wish to make clear that this is a demand from their customers.
natevplas

Re: SpaceMouse to Midi

Post by natevplas »

@dhoude were you able to get it working? I also need to translate SpaceMouse inputs to MIDI for use with Adobe Character Animator. ACA accepts MIDI inputs, but I can't figure out how to get the SpaceMouse to send them.