3DConnexion Support Planned For Drone View In MS Flight Simulator 2020?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

gmelvin

3DConnexion Support Planned For Drone View In MS Flight Simulator 2020?

Post by gmelvin »

With the imminent Win 10 release of MS Flight Simulator 2020 on 8/18/20 I just inquired with 3DConnexion if they were planning on providing some basic driver support for the drone view cam at least for now. I've got the top Premium Deluxe Edition on preorder and run on a very high-end PC (Core i9-12/24, dual RTX 2080 TIs in SLI, SSDs, 65" 4K G-Sync HDR monitor at 144Hz, 5.1 Bose, etc., so it would be just amazing if I could use my SpaceMouse Pro to freely navigate around that superbly detailed world at full graphics settings in UHD resolution and record those flight paths through my nVidia driver's 2D/3D recording mode.

That 3DC contact is checking with the Dev Team for me and will let me know if there's enough user interest for them to work on it if they haven't started to already.

Melvin.
censrd

Re: 3DConnexion Support Planned For Drone View In MS Flight Simulator 2020?

Post by censrd »

Not sure if this post is asking the forum for our interest levels in MSFS intergration?

or stating you have got the ball rolling by alerting that there is interest to the devs, (i'll add a vote if thats the case)

or just straight up flexing your sweet rig... which does sound like a very sweet rig indeed. But now i'm curious if its a work rig that just may happen to get MSFS installed for those down times between jobs, or if thats the spec you built just for the flight sim... Which if the later, you have shown quite a level of dedication to sim flight good sir.

Steve
gmelvin

Post by gmelvin »

I built my rig to these updated specs to take advantage of all the great industry research and development done over the last several years with multithreaded code for both 2D GP-GPU and 3D CPU/GPU enabled software applications.

My query with 3DC is to see if their engineers can map the real-time, roaming, dynamic six-axis free-flight controls of their hardware/software products to the realistic database of MS FS 2020 while bypassing the restraints of the aircraft flight physics inherent in that sim. If they can receive permission from MS to replicate the experience we currently have using 3DC hardware with Google Earth Pro but at that new level of visual sophistication, that would be just amazing!

I much appreciate any additional forum members' support in this regard.

Thanks & all the best!

Melvin
Grimbo

Post by Grimbo »

My vote is in for using the Space mouse for the drone, it would be fantastic!
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

I have my Enterprise mapped for external, drone and slew axis. You just need to do it manually.
grahamwell

Post by grahamwell »

I've been trying to configure it manually. FS2020 recognises the SpaceNavigator (yes, that's what I have) but I can't make it stable. Any tips?
It would be so completely awesome that I'm prepared to bang my head against this particular wall for a while.
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

Under the controls tab I have a "3DCONNEXION KMJ EMULATOR" device and a device named according to my specific model "SPACEMOUSE ENTERPRISE" in my case.

Under the settings for the latter I have the following axis set against each control (each selected manually)

You may need to make some setting changes to the 3Dconnexion profile to make sure it saves a specific profile against Flight Simulator - I found that until I made a change the cap still performed mouse scroll events which meant that it zoomed in and out in game whilst also changing the camera angle
RudyB

Post by RudyB »

Does anyone who has it working have a tip?

I have the KMJ EMULATOR as a device in control settings, but the auto detect function to select an axis does not recognize anything. Also if I choose an axis from the list it does not 'activate' ... nothing seems to happen. I'm eager to get this working for the drone and for slew, it would simply be perfect.
jwick

Post by jwick »

While the KMJ emulator is there all the time, you have to tell the driver to use it for your application.
If your application has a GUI, it will get detected when the kb focus is on the window. Check the 3Dx systray icon.

You tell the driver what to do for your application by creating a cfg file (an xml file) specific to your application. The easiest way to get started it so make some change with our GUI when your app is in focus. Then you will have a starting point under %appdata%\3dconnexion\3dxware/cfg.

To use joystick outputs, merge in the missing details from the JoystickTemplate.xml (in ProgramFiles/3dconnexion/3dxwincore/cfg) to your %appdata% file. Basically everything after the AppInfo section.

If you just want to use it with FS2020, perhaps Magic Man can give you his cfg file.
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

Unfortunately the FS2020 control configs are not easy to find, let alone share and the 3Dx config for the .exe doesn't have anything specifically FS2020 related other than a few view keys I bound to the soft buttons.

Have a look at the screen shot I posted above relating to the specific axis names. Choose one of them to test and bind in manually by selecting it from the list - use the specific 3Dx device rather than the KMJ emulator device from the contollers page.
qubyb

Post by qubyb »

Thanks for the help jwick & Magic Man. I got one step further. The KMJ emulator was in plain sight in the MSFS control settings screen, but it does not seem to do anything. However ... there indeed also was a 3DConnexion tab, it was hidden outside the screen at the far right which was why initially I had not noticed it, I found it scrolling the tabs. :)

On step further now, I can use some axis, but some don't do anything. The 3DConexxion setup screen says it's connected to flightsimulator.exe and I have activated all 6 axis there. Still MSFS will only use 3 axis. When I press the SENSITIVITY button top left to ener the screen with the joystick graphs I can indeed see some of the axis do not move.

So ... any further help would be appreciated.

In the mean time I do have my DIY joystick working for camera control: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZEvUMzjlYQ

For the time being is a worthy alternative, but I much prefer using my spacenavigator.
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

Glad it's at least partially working and is hopefully just a config thing to enable the rest.
Ensure you have all a is enabled in the 3Dx config for Flight Sim. If you check the screenshot I posted you can see I'm using x,y and z a is from joystick L & R as Flight Sim sees them.

Try switching one of the working binds to one of the three you don't currently have working. Which three are/are not working for you?
thenextbest1

Post by thenextbest1 »

Magic Man wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:03 am Unfortunately the FS2020 control configs are not easy to find, let alone share and the 3Dx config for the .exe doesn't have anything specifically FS2020 related other than a few view keys I bound to the soft buttons.

Have a look at the screen shot I posted above relating to the specific axis names. Choose one of them to test and bind in manually by selecting it from the list - use the specific 3Dx device rather than the KMJ emulator device from the contollers page.
Hi Magic Man - I went out and bought a Space Mouse wireless last week on spec hoping I could use it in MSFS before being lucky enough to come across your posts and most useful of all your screen shot showing the axis here on the forum. Can't thank you enough man. Still looking how to use the pucks up and down axis but enjoying the new found freedom in exterior views that the 3d Space mouse gives. Thanks again and Cheers for now.
Magic Man

Post by Magic Man »

Hi thenextbest1, no worries at all, glad it's working for you.