Space Navigator Software Update Seriously Messed UP

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Jambo

Space Navigator Software Update Seriously Messed UP

Post by Jambo »

For the Space Navigator (SN) on Windows 10, ASUS laptop, used within the Second Life game.

Used two of these SN devices over 10+ years. Maybe 1 or 2 updates.

Today, I open Second Life, and plug in the Space Navigator to my laptop. Immediately the update software box pops up. Strangely, I notice my view within Second Life is drifting, where it was not on last use. The SN has been a stable device for me in SL for years. I'm wondering if the device was deliberately messed up in order to encourage the install.

Several tries to get to the download site, open the download. I choose "Advanced" options, and uncheck a number of who knows why I would want this or that.

Right away there are problems. Within all of my browsers, and withing Second Life, anything with a scrolling window, is moving upwards.

Every time I am Left-Clicking on the SN, another pop-up. Sometimes I can move my cam using the SN, often not. Unplugged, shut down the SL program. Started again, and plugged in the SN again, now not functional at all.

Searching for the uninstall last in my Windows.

Your board takes 12+ hours to send registration e-mail.
UtaSH

Re: Space Navigator Software Update Seriously Messed UP

Post by UtaSH »

Hello Jambo,

Second Life had integrated support for the SpaceMouse many many years ago without making use of our SDK. Unfortunately they did not maintain this. And as we found that the integration is buggy and not working correctly we removed SL quite some time ago from our list of supported software. Any complaints about the SpaceMouse within SL has to be addressed with Linden Lab.

You should just make sure your SpaceNavigator is still functional. You can do this by installing the latest driver and then check if the navigation is working fine with the Viewer that comes with our driver software.
Jambo

Post by Jambo »

Yes, I misspoke. I view the game Second Life through the "Firestorm" viewer. Which provides good support for the Space Navigator (SN). See image.
firestorm-1.jpg
firestorm-1.jpg (23.49 KiB) Viewed 3093 times
Looking at the Microsoft Startup panel, I found one program from 3DConnexion set to load every boot up. Looking at the program lists, I note two files from 3DConnexion were installed. Please note that at least this consumer does not appreciate bloatware being installed without need or permission. At least the programs were clearly labelled.

I removed both of the 3DConnexion programs, and am now running with no software loaded from 3DConnexion. Space Navigator working fine in Firestorm.

Recommend Dismiss any pop-up messages regarding Space Navigator software installs. I'll pass this along on Second Life machinima boards.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi Jambo,
Jambo wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:56 pm Please note that at least this consumer does not appreciate bloatware being installed without need or permission. At least the programs were clearly labelled.
Could you please elaborate what software was installed without permission?

Other than device drivers installed through Windows Update, all 3Dconnexion software for Windows is available for download from 3Dconnexion.com. It is important for us to understand how our software is being distributed.
Nuno Gomes