SpaceMouse Pro Wireless flip view in SolidWorks

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

sdesaulles

SpaceMouse Pro Wireless flip view in SolidWorks

Post by sdesaulles »

Having recently "upgraded" from an od wired SpacePilot Pro to a new SpaceMouse Pro Wireless, I'm really finding it hard to adapt to the lost functionality on the basic view settings.

On the old one, on the right-hand side, press a view button, and it gives that view, hold and it flips 180 to give the view from the reverse side - so FRONT changes to BACK etc.

I didn't look properly before buying, just assumed functionality wouldn't have gone backwards in 5 yrs, but on my new SpaceMouse Pro Wireless, only the primary view is available. (The only other view manipulator just rotates 90 degrees, so you're still looking at the same face so FRONT is still FRONT)

There is no "flip view 180 about vertical axis" type command that I can find in SolidWorks or in the 3dx menu to map to the "Rotate 90" button that I just never use, has anyone found a work-around?

I think I might have to just forget the "convenience" of wireless and go for the usability of the old wired version.

Thanks

Stephen
luping

Re: SpaceMouse Pro Wireless flip view in SolidWorks

Post by luping »

In business world, in order to maximize the return of investment, in simple words to increase the profit margin to the max extent, product portfolio is divided into three segments--entry/basic level model, middle model, flagship model - for consumers to choose, in marketing term it is called product differentiation. In your case, SpaceMouse Pro Wireless is a middle model product, with reduced functionalities when compared to flagship modal.

The SpacePilot Pro is the old flagship model, and the most recent flagship model is SpaceMouse Enterprise, so you have to spend more to get the flagship model to get back the lost 180 degree flip view in the SpaceMouse model. Now you found the gist? :wink:
sdesaulles

Post by sdesaulles »

Erm, Thanks.

Having worked in product design for a little over 30 years I am aware that what you say is true.

What is also true is that there is what is know n as "Feature Trickle-down", where what is premium at one point in time gradually becomes a standard or default feature. I suppose that since the SpaceMouse "Pro" Wireless shares the same moniker as the five plus-year-old SpacePilot "Pro" it might have had at least an equivalent feature set. But no, a significant reduction, and perhaps I'm just used to the old one, but even the ergonomics seems slightly poorer to me.

Ho Hum. Just have to wait for the "Space Mouse EnterPrise Wireless" to launch and give 3dx a little more money.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Hi sdesaulles,
sdesaulles wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:21 am There is no "flip view 180 about vertical axis" type command that I can find in SolidWorks or in the 3dx menu to map to the "Rotate 90" button that I just never use, has anyone found a work-around?
What is actually happening is that, by pressing alternative buttons (short- and long-presses), you are activating different commands. For example, you may be switching between commands "Front" and "Back".

Try assigning commands "Front" and "Back" to separate SpaceMouse Pro buttons and see if you get the "flip view" behaviour you're looking for when pressing in those buttons alternately.
sdesaulles

Post by sdesaulles »

Hi, ngomes,

Thanks for the suggestion. The problem would be, that with only four additional buttons on the SpaceMousePro Wireless, I would use up all but one of them to get the 2nd function that is built into the older PacePilot Pro.

The closest I've found currently is to use the "rotate 90" button reassigned to be "Normal To" as a Solidworks command. so I can rotate, pick the reverse face and then get the fully normal view. Not brilliant, and still a step backwards form the 5 or 6-year-old product I replaced becasue its no longer fully supported by 3dx, but a halfway solution.

Thanks

Stephen
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

sdesaulles wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:26 am The problem would be, that with only four additional buttons on the SpaceMousePro Wireless, I would use up all but one of them to get the 2nd function that is built into the older PacePilot Pro.
Perhaps a "Radial Menu" would work for you? Press a button to open the RM and the move the mouse pointer along the "slice" that has the view you want to switch to.