A question about 3dxservice.exe

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Kalt

A question about 3dxservice.exe

Post by Kalt »

Long time user, first poster here...

So first of all I just wanted to say that I've been a user of a Space Pilot Pro (the one with the Logitech LCD) for many productive years, and I will never CAD without it. Love it to pieces and it makes my day/work that much nicer.

However, an issue lately that's been driving me absolutely batty is a process that seems to be running away with itself. To the point I can't run the laptop on battery with out outright killing the process and not using the controller because it literally cuts my working time in half because of the sheer amount of processor and resources it's constantly taking.

The 3dxservice.exe is /constantly/ doing this in the background.
https://puu.sh/GCeOl/1575e5727d.png

As you can see, it's screaming along with those read/writes and yet the task manager says it's doing nothing.
http://puu.sh/GCf3C/0c9b0dc67b.png

Yes yes all the updates and windows 10 and blah blah, it's all been done, and yet it's still going at it. As I write this I'm going to try updating everything /again/ but I'm not holding much hope. Can someone out there please tell me why this is slowly cooking off my m.2 with all the disk activity and what I can do to stop it?
jwick

Re: A question about 3dxservice.exe

Post by jwick »

Sorry, you are correct. What you see is it checking the running application at about 5Hz. This doesn't use much CPU time, but as you point out it is doing something else. It's always done this. Your example gives me a good reason to readdress it. I did experiment with a less intense approach many years ago, but to your point, I only looked at the CPU usage, and that benefit was negligible.

I doubt it is affecting your battery life though. The SPP uses a tremendous amount of current. This is probably where your electrons are going.
I suspect another device would be kinder to your battery. I don't know if turning off the LCD would help.
Kalt

Post by Kalt »

Cheers for the reply mate

Largely speaking whenever I'm on battery, I tend to be fastidious when it comes to programs running in the background eating clock cycles. I have a little cpu usage/core %/memory thing going in the corner, and if I see it peg out or constantly run when I'm idling, I tend to start investigating. Typically my laptop goes from home to work, being put to sleep in the process. At work, SpacePilot Pro is connected, but is left there. At home it's just laptop/mouse/battery. But the 3dxservice.exe will be constantly chugging away doing... whatever it's doing and yet the controller isn't connected. Sure it's just doing some minor low level polling.... But add that on top of all the other programs that like to do their own low level checks, and windows increasing bloatware... and this is why I have a laptop that used to get 13 hours of battery life, and 6 years later now gets 4. (OEM replaced battery recently, so it's not battery degradation.) Has all this overhead meant better user experience? Ehhh debatable. What I do know is I have a much more restrictive mobile limit which is kinda sucky.

Not sure if I need to start another thread for this, and it's more a annoyance than anything else, (and I've not seen anyone else gripe about it?) but the latest windows major update has completely deleted all my program profiles for the controller... even removed them from the windows.old backup!
Sure I can go back and set them all... but really, come on windows - you're not supposed to do this with user configurations during your updates. Now I have to wonder what else windows has borked.
jwick

Post by jwick »

You make some good points.
There is no reason for it to be doing this particular work if there are no 3Dx devices attached. I'll add that to the enhancement request.

Your 3D mouse cfg files where deleted by a Windows OS update? That's the first time I've heard something like that.
Kalt

Post by Kalt »

I really should have taken some screen shots to show just what it did, regarding the deletion of all those .xml cfg's but honestly trying to keep ahead of how readily windows updates likes to screw with and bork one's system into a dummed down homogenized 'experience' for the most latest wiz bang system... is a full time job.
Why the update would even be allowed into the appdata/roaming directory to start deleting things, beyond me. But it totally did - wiped it all. Potentially has something to do with it finding the controller and installing it's own drivers for it? I recall a note in the corner saying something about 'found 3dconnexion controller' just after the update, but who knows what it was doing in the background. At any rate, mostly an annoyance, less of a catastrophic issue.

Cheers for including the 3dxservice/idle use when nothing is connected issue in the next request. Still hands down the best controller I've used. Honestly I recommend it to any and all people I know who CAD, 3D model or increasingly, space sim game (6 axis ship... 6 axis controller. Who would have thought!)