Cadmouse swap middle / right not working

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

John_C

Cadmouse swap middle / right not working

Post by John_C »

After falling in love with the SpaceMouse, I decided to splash out on a CadMouse, but unfortunately, I can't get the middle / right buttons to swap functions.

So far, I've updated and reinstalled the drivers, rebooted the machine after checking / unchecking the relevant box, none of which make any difference.

I've even opened up the xml files in the AppData folder to see if there is anything obvious in there.

Has anyone got any suggestions for me?

TIA

John
UtaSH

Re: Cadmouse swap middle / right not working

Post by UtaSH »

Hi John_C,

the two primary buttons - the left and the right buttons - cannot be changed. This is by design.
But you can map anything to the middle button, e.g. a right button click. (The right button will be the right button always.)
John_C

Post by John_C »

Thanks Uta,

I got a call from the guys who supplied the CadMouse, and had a lengthy conversation with one of their support guys.

After we had been around the block half a dozen times, with the supplier accessing my system via team viewer, and being just as baffled as I was, the guy had an idea that the Logitech software that I was using with my previous mouse might be causing the problem.

Once I disconnected my Logitech wireless keyboard from the PC, and disabled the Logitech software, the CadMouse works as I had wanted it to. So, obviously there is still something in the hardware, or software for the Cadmouse from when Logitech "controlled" 3DConnection, which allows the Logitech software to take priority over the 3D Connection drivers.

Also, in the course of our conversation, we agreed the the 3D Connection Properties software for configuring the mouse is a shocker. It really is awful.

It took us quite a while to realise what the "Swap Middle / Right Mouse buttons" tick box actually did.

Rather than having separate controls for the two customisable buttons, some bright spark decided that the tick box was the best way of switching from re-configuring the central mouse button to re-configuring the extreme right button ... :?

In stark contrast to my almost instant love of my SpaceMouseProWireless, my opinion of the Cadmouse isn't particularly favourable at the moment.
claireh

Post by claireh »

Hi John,
The part about the Logitech software is really quite strange. I know there had been some instances with very old Logitech keyboards that have an LCD when combined with a SpacePilot Pro, but never heard of something like this happening on a current device. Maybe the Logitech software holds focus from the driver, but it's hard to tell at this point. The traditional right and left mouse buttons get classified as a standard USB mouse. This ensures that the mouse will function even without the driver. Maybe there are controls in the Logitech software which also affect the standard mouse settings in windows too?

Can you tell me what Logitech keyboard you have, and what driver you had installed from them? I'm going to try and reproduce the problem on my end.
Claire
John_C

Post by John_C »

Hi Zach,

Thanks for the reply, and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

To assist you in attempting to replicate the problem, here's the timeline, and software versions (at present).

To start with, the PC (Win 10) was running a Logitech K850 wireless keyboard, and a Logitech M720 wireless mouse. Subsequently, I added a SpaceMouse Pro Wireless, and I didn't experience any problems with the SpaceMouse, though there were some interference problems with the mouse which made it jittery and generally a pain in the bum to use (obviously not ideal on a cad machine).

At this point, the machine had the following Logitech software installed, Logitech LCD Manager (3.06.109), Logitech Options (8.20.329), Logitech Unifying Software (2.50.25) and Mouse and Keyboard Settings aka SetPoint (6.67.83). Some of the Logitech software would have dated back to earlier mouse and keyboard installs.

When the CadMouse arrived, I updated the 3D Connection drivers, and the 3DxService is ver 17.7.0.17687

With the issues I was having, I removed the Logitech USB dongle, and reverted to a wired keyboard, in an attempt to minimise the number of variables.

At this point the support guy from my local reseller called, and we started playing around with what we thought were the obvious potential problem areas, but as I'd bought the Logitech mouse and keyboard from our local discount store, he left me to explore the Logitech related avenues.

After disabling the Logitech USB software in the startup sequence, hey presto, the CadMouse behaved as I had hoped it would, and in case you are wondering, in the course of all of this, I have left the Logitech installation on the PC, as the Logitech mouse offers a couple of features that the CadMouse does not, so I may yet revert to the Logitech mouse.

I think that covers all of the bases for you, but if you want any other details, don't hesitate to ask.

Many thanks 8)