ZBrush 2021 and legacy SpacePilot (SP1 USB) support

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

david_j_calabrese

ZBrush 2021 and legacy SpacePilot (SP1 USB) support

Post by david_j_calabrese »

Since ZBrush, with it's estimated installed user base of 150,000+ users, had made all of their customers potential 3Dconnexion customers with their latest release, I've been looking into the SpacePilot and the driver situation, and think I have some ideas.

Like folks who own a reliable car that's still going strong after 10+ years, it sounds like a LOT of people have devices like the SpacePilot (non-pro, SP1 USB) that are still going strong. Instead of non-support from 3dconnexion, what about a paid "Kit" model where users with legacy hardware like the SpacePilot can BUY a Kit that includes a "travel" SpaceMouse Compact or SpaceMouse Wireless at a similar price point to the current retail price, PLUS the Kit contains a key for a modern, dual-product driver that includes support for BOTH the new SpacePilot Pro / Enterprise hardware as well as "classic" devices like the SpacePilot (SP1 USB)? User who originally paid $400 for these discontinued devices would likely gladly pay for an updated driver that includes some "free" hardware for use when they're travelling. This way the development is funded, and the good will of the company is maintained across the board. And people are inspired to at least check out the latest and greatest hardware.

In the short term, it sounds like 10.4.10 will power the SpacePilot -- what about posting the "default" ZBrush cfg that's included with 10.7.1 to enable 10.4.10 to talk to ZBrush 2021 if possible (officially unsupported of course)?

Just some thoughts, let me know what folks think. All the best,
Dave
luping

Re: ZBrush 2021 and legacy SpacePilot (SP1 USB) support

Post by luping »

Nah, this is not how capitalism works in computer electronics industry with planned obsolescence.
Why not invest in new models of 3Dconnexion hardware when people can afford to invest in a 895 USD ZBrush 2021 license? Though I think it's a bit pricier for a 3D mouse.
jwick

Post by jwick »

I like your idea of an extended maintenance plan.

ZBrush support relies on quite new driver functionality. This did not exist when the SpacePilot was supported. Unfortunately, I can not think of a workaround for you.
david_j_calabrese

Update -- I have the SpacePilot working with ZBrush 20201.5.1.

1. Install the 10.4.10 drivers listed under Space Pilot Pro in the Driver Archive. This was the last "universal" driver that supported a wide array of devices devices such as SpaceMouse Enterprise, SpaceMouse Pro, SpaceMouse Pro Wireless, SpaceMouse Wireless, SpaceNavigator, SpaceNavigator for Notebooks, SpacePilot Pro, and the SpacePilot (although unofficially). They all work with this driver, so it looks possible to make a Windows driver with this range of support. Note that even the SpacePilot LCD display and macro buttons work flawlessly with this driver.

2. Grab the free third party plugin zConnexion from this post on ZBrushCentral: https://www.zbrushcentral.com/t/zbrush- ... ion/363066 . NOTE: Be sure to use the zConnexion_for_3DxWare_10.4.10.zip available on the free Gumroad store page https://gumroad.com/l/AjmDo .

3. Follow the instructions, and enjoy. You may want to turn the overall speed down, and increase the translation speed. Even the Top, Left, Right, Front, and Rotation Lock buttons work when you assign them to the included button definitions (this is functionality ZBrush NEVER had)! Plus, you can assign six+ buttons to brushes, which is plenty for 90% of your sculpting needs.

The developer has made several updates to the plugin (last was December 2020), so if more users have feedback for the author, it's likely updates and fixes will continue.

Just a note that with this driver, the SpacePilot also works with Autodesk Fusion 360, Blender 2.91, and other applications, making this my one of my favorite hardware purchases of the year so far.

Thanks 3Dconnexion for making some fantastic hardware.
david_j_calabrese

jwick wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:27 am I like your idea of an extended maintenance plan.
Thanks. Another option would be for 3Dconnexion to Open Source their legacy drivers so that the community could bear the development cost of supporting discontinued devices. If the source code is out there, people might make it work. Remember, most of these devices are in the hands (literally) of technically minded people.
Phil999

Post by Phil999 »

I'm using the 10.0.15 driver version with the SpacePilot. Although not with ZBrush, but for a number of 3D and many non-3D softwares. I believe it's an old beta driver, but very stable. I think it is available in the 'old driver' download section, but maybe the version recommended in a previous post might be the better choice.
Space Navigator x2, Space Pilot, Space Pilot Pro, SpaceMouse Enterprise
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Phil999 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:18 am I'm using the 10.0.15 driver version with the SpacePilot. [...] I believe it's an old beta driver
Right. Version 10.0.15 was only available to beta testers of what would become "3DxWare 10".

The first public release of 3DxWare 10 was version 10.0.17, published in Oct 2013. I don't think we have any 10.0.x versions in the "archive" any longer.