SpaceMouse Enterprise and 3DxWare64_v10-7-1_r3280 issue

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Kit0

SpaceMouse Enterprise and 3DxWare64_v10-7-1_r3280 issue

Post by Kit0 »

Hello,

I have been having a very important issue for a long, the issue is not just on my side and it's very easy to replicate.
The issue started when I had my SpacePilot Pro and updated from 10.6.0 to 10.6.7.
Using Max 2020, when you try to paint over 3D models using the main brush, like, for example, painting weights over a skinned model, whenever you apply a stroke, the prior one disappears but only if you are moving the camera while doing so. That means that you need to stop the camera before applying any stroke. This didn't happen on 10.6.0 and started happening on 10.6.7. I also tried 10.6.8 and 10.6.9 without any luck so I decided to revert back to 10.6.0 where the issue wasn't there and hope for a miracle to fix the issue sometime in a near future. This caused me a lot of trouble as I lost compatibilities with Max 2021 (and 2022 the next month) among other newer software versions.
I already reported it here: https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic.php?t=39525

But for valentine, I received an awesome (or so I thought?) gift, a brand new SpaceMouse Enterprise. Excited about it and hoping for better support in regards to drivers for this newer device, I uninstalled the prior drivers making sure to delete all the 3DConnexion related folders inside of the %appdata% folder. I also made sure to install the drivers selecting the checkbox to delete old settings and profiles just to be even more sure! But what a surprise, the bug remains thereafter so many versions! I am now on 10.7.1 and that bug persists.

So my question is, will this for real and ever be fixed at all or you guys stopped supporting Max 2020 which isn't even 2 years old yet? Keep in mind that moving to Max 2021 isn't always an option. I can't tell the studios I work for which versions of software they should use since there are custom tools and plug-ins that are tied to different versions. I am asking because I can return it anytime. After all, it's a useless expensive decorative piece of hardware if I can't work on my main app which is Max, not like I am using a strange and obscure app but one that has been supported since day one. I am an old 3D Connexion products user but this bug it's getting on my nerves and I really need it fixed.
Kit0

Re: SpaceMouse Enterprise and 3DxWare64_v10-7-1_r3280 issue

Post by Kit0 »

I can't edit the main post sorry, can't find the option.

UPDATE:

I have been testing and it doesn't just happen in Max 2020 but also Max 2021 now (used to happen only in 2020, 2021 was fine before but you guys managed to break it too, good job). I made a couple of YouTube short clips. In the videos, you can see how once I start painting weights while moving the camera, the software starts to behave weirdly. You can see that, once I start painting weights while moving the camera, the strokes get undone. As a curiosity, if I look in the undo history, instead of the usual weight paint command to undo, there is one related to the SpaceMouse camera movement. Also, you may notice how badly the performance goes when I try to paint. Frames per second sink drastically. This last thing seems to happen only after an autosave has happened while you were trying to move the camera. Unlike in the old post that I mentioned before, the bug that would keep doing scene undo while stroking it's gone so I can only guess that the scene shouldn't be corrupted after a save. So I guess that part it's kinda "fixed" but the stroke bug remains. In 10.6.0, the camera would stop while autosaving so nothing would break. There was also no SpaceMouse command to undo when you were painting and moving the camera. 10.6.0 works perfectly fine.

Here is Max 2020 struggling when trying to paint while moving the camera:
https://youtu.be/_XrgPKAwRHc

And here is Max 2021 which doesn't struggle as badly but it's still useless to paint there. You can also see how the SpaceMouse command appears on the undo history too and how undoing it, undoes the weight paint command instead (same behavior as 2020 really):
https://youtu.be/sxZc_WgK9rI

I really hope for a fix because we are on 10.7.1 already and has been ages since this bug has been around. I can't keep using older and older versions of the software and give up on updating especially now knowing that even Max 2021 got that bug. Perhaps, time to go back to 10.6.0 and see what you guys changed that broke everything? I am sure that has to be with how you are trying to put every camera move into the undo history messing any other action made at the same time. No one even needs an undo for the camera movements, there are enough buttons to reset or choose a new camera angle so I rather get that discarded if you can bring the software to a working state like 10.6.0.

I hope to hear an answer soon before I just return this.