Toning down the SpaceMouse output?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

david_j_calabrese

Toning down the SpaceMouse output?

Post by david_j_calabrese »

I've noticed some applications are 100 - 1000x too responsive to the axis inputs on the 3Dconnexion devices, and unfortunately setting something like <OverallScale>0.001</OverallScale> in the Cfg results in no response from the device (it seems like precision and/or round-off errors result in numbers evaluating to 0).

Adding <ResponseCurve>8</ResponseCurve> seemed to help somewhat, although it makes things unpredictable for medium to large movements -- what other XML tags can be used to scale down values without zeroing them out?

Changing the <Min> and <Max> values on the inputs appeared to have no effect.

Is there a reference somewhere of the possible entries that can be added to a Cfg .xml file?

Thanks,
Dave
jwick

Re: Toning down the SpaceMouse output?

Post by jwick »

By too responsive, do you mean the <whatever> starts moving too quickly/soon, or it goes too fast.

It is an integer data stream, so when you drop below 1, you get nothing. The max values of the devices tend to be +/-350, so *1/1000 will give you a consistent 0.

It will depend on where the scaling is done. If it is done in the integer math, it would be easier to truncate that toward zero. I could look into that. In the meantime, I'd keep the scaling on the Output side (<Output><Scale>). I have tried to indicate where it is int vs float by using 511 vs 511.00.

ResponseCurve changes the shape of the curve, it's the exponent. 2 is squared. 8 is a rocket. .8 would get it to spend more time near 1.

What application is this with the problem? It might have something to do with it. Some applications don't use the data optimally.

This is the first time I've heard a request to make such an extreme change.