Use SpaceMouse (compact) for desktop panning/zoom

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

dahlmeyer

Use SpaceMouse (compact) for desktop panning/zoom

Post by dahlmeyer »

Hello from a new user :)

like many before me, I would like to use my SMc not for CAD only, but also as a secondary navigation tool for desktop programs (mainly non-Adobe PDF for annotating digitally printed drawings, but ideally for desktop in general). My idea is to pan/zoom with my non-dominant hand and click menus/annotate with my dominant hand by mouse/keyboard.

I know that this has been asked before, but it seems that guides vary widely regarding driver, placement dir, configuration xml file(s), and file content. I tried the last guide I found (from january '21) with a dropbox-download, but only seconds after download to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\3Dconnexion\3DxWare\Cfg", the the desktop.xml is removed and appears in the subdir ".\bak".

So what is the correct files, modification, placement,etc. for my configuration (Win10x64, latest 3Dc driver, last download today)?

On a side-note:
I am a bit surprised that top-end products aimed for non-coding engineering professionals (priced accordingly) do not offer this out-of-the-box for years, even though it seem possible - The confusing experience so far reminds me a bit in "RTFgh" (github) guides in some OpenSource projects, and since I do not CAD on a daily base, I really consider to return the device just because of an insufficient driver - Is it really that much easer to support reoccurring user problems every other month for an obviously expected feature by workarounds and dropbox-downloads...?
dahlmeyer

Re: Use SpaceMouse (compact) for desktop panning/zoom

Post by dahlmeyer »

This can be deleted as it is a double content post to https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic ... 25&t=40151

I did not take notice of the note that posts are moderated, so I thought the first post was lost and wrote another one - Sorry for any inconvenience.
ngomes

Re: Use SpaceMouse (compact) for desktop panning/zoom

Post by ngomes »

dahlmeyer wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:49 am This can be deleted as it is a double content post to https://forum.3dconnexion.com/viewtopic ... 25&t=40151
We pretty much only delete spam but I will lock this topic.
Nuno Gomes