3DxWare 10.7.1 for Windows 7?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

david_j_calabrese

3DxWare 10.7.1 for Windows 7?

Post by david_j_calabrese »

In the "can't hurt to ask" department, the computer I happen to have ZBrush installed on runs Windows 7, and upon launching the 10.7.1 installer for the SpaceMouse Wireless, it says that it supports Windows 8.1 and later only -- while I realize that it wouldn't be officially supported, would extracting and installing 3DxWinCore64.msi work properly on Win7? :)
ngomes

Re: 3DxWare 10.7.1 for Windows 7?

Post by ngomes »

david_j_calabrese wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:23 pm upon launching the 10.7.1 installer [...], it says that it supports Windows 8.1 and later only
Does the installer refuse to continue? I think that's just a warning but I'm not sure.

When we dropped support for Windows 7 sometime in March or April of last year, we simply stopped testing on that system version. The software might work just fine but we don't support it.
david_j_calabrese

Thanks, that's great news. To be honest, I'm not sure if I tried continuing (it was a long day, etc.). I'll give that a shot! :)

p.s. As an aside, these devices are magical and it's a shame they're not more widely known outside of CAD circles since they have a much wider application. Thoughts on a "Student" edition (something in the USD$65 price range, wired, one button, not quite as heavy) for students only?
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

david_j_calabrese wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:34 pm Thoughts on a "Student" edition (something in the USD$65 price range, wired, one button, not quite as heavy) for students only?
I can't comment on the pricing (I'm in the Engineering team, not Sales and Marketing) but I can on the technical aspects of the product.

The SpaceMouse Compact (and its parent, the venerable SpaceNavigator) are wired with two buttons. That's the very minimum for a SpaceMouse. We can't make them any lighter as the devices would be difficult to use, rendering them almost useless. The weight is necessary to ensure the user can move the sensor cap without dragging the device around. This is especially important when pulling the cap up and down or when twisting around the vertical axis.
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

david_j_calabrese wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:34 pm Thanks, that's great news. To be honest, I'm not sure if I tried continuing (it was a long day, etc.). I'll give that a shot! :)
Looks like the installer refuses to install on Windows 7.

You may need to install an older version of 3DxWare 10. Version 10.6.4 is the last with official Windows 7 support and it is available for download from the archive.
david_j_calabrese

Thanks. Silly question to follow up, did extracting the 3DxWinCore64.msi also not work (and would that give basic driver functionality for the device anyway)?