Solidworks as administrator

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Nebohadnazzer

Solidworks as administrator

Post by Nebohadnazzer »

hi Guys,
a seem to have a weird one...
when I run solidworks (2017 to 2020) as administrator my space mouse enterprise isn't working.
the screen is showing SW but non of the buttons work nor the joystick. when I open a part/assy the moues doesn't recognize it.
any ideas what is causing this?

thanks for the help...
jwick

Re: Solidworks as administrator

Post by jwick »

What version of 3DxWare?
You should have received a notification about this conflict in the Action Center.

If you run Solidworks at a higher UAC level than the driver, the driver can't talk to it. You need to run 3DxService.exe at the same level (run as administrator). It isn't recommended.
luping

Post by luping »

Try follow my advice:
Keyboard Win+R

Input secpol.msc, run as Administrator
Go to Local Policies>security options>
Make sure to disable "User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode"
2021-04-05_17h48_36.png
2021-04-05_17h48_36.png (8.87 KiB) Viewed 4455 times
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Nebohadnazzer wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:38 am when I run solidworks (2017 to 2020) as administrator
We have seen this before but we don't know why customers run SOLIDWORKS as administrator (elevated). Running any application elevated carries a security risk and should be done only in very specific cases (like changing passwords or accessing a restricted configuration file).

Can you tell us why do you need to run the application with administrator privileges?
Nuno Gomes
Nebohadnazzer

Post by Nebohadnazzer »

hello,

Thank you all for the replies.
I was running in administrator because of frequent changes in solidworks preferences while configuring a new PC.
I decided to NOT open SW as admin to prevent the issue

Thanks guys!
8)
ngomes

Post by ngomes »

Nebohadnazzer wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:13 am I was running in administrator because of frequent changes in solidworks preferences while configuring a new PC.
I see. Thank you for giving us the context of why you needed to run the application as administrator (setting system-wide preferences).