Generic mouse simulation mode?

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Wreubzaet

Generic mouse simulation mode?

Post by Wreubzaet »

Hello everyone,

I wanted to try my SpaceMouse Enterprise with a game and some other programs, only to find out it doesn't work at all. I understand that for optimal functionality the driver and program must be programmed to work together, but why is there no generic mouse simulation mode for the SpaceMouse?
Just a simple mode that lets you navigate left-right and forward-backward just as with a normal mouse and use up-down (pulling-pressing) to use as mouse scroll function for zooming? This should work with any program that accepts mouse input and would make the SpaceMouse so much more useful besides for my professional work. For example it would make navigation in many simulation and strategy games much easier.

Why is such obvious functionality not implemented? Is it not possible? A SpaceMouse is a mouse after all...
Since I couldn't find an answer to this question, I'm posting it here. I hope someone can explain/help.

Many thanks in advance & best regards!
luping

Re: Generic mouse simulation mode?

Post by luping »

Don't try to replace your typical mouse with 3D mouse, the SME in you case works like a spatial navigation tool in 3D computer visualization domain.
Wreubzaet

Post by Wreubzaet »

I'm just wondering if a generic mouse simulation mode is possible. Whether it would make sense or not is a personal opinion.
The idea as I imagine it, the further you move the navigator knob the faster mouse movement is simulated.
jwick

Post by jwick »

The 3D mouse cap does not make a great 2D cursor mover. But we have seen reasons to use it or at least try it.

You have some options.
1) You can create a cfg file for the applications you want to try this out in (e.g. a game).
2) You can edit the Desktop.xml cfg to add 2D mouse events, then switch to/from it using a device button.

Our GUI can't help you with this. You have to dig into the XML.
Wreubzaet

Post by Wreubzaet »

Thank you for your reply. I will look into it, but I'm not sure if this would enable "analog mouse movement" simulation (he further you move the navigator knob the faster mouse movement is simulated)?

I was not planning to use it to replicate 2d mouse usage, but to simulate the mouse movement and commands when using a 2D mouse to navigate in 3D space. Like in many games that do not support 3D mice :cry: .