Possibility to switch the LCD display of the Spacemouse Enterprise on and off via function key

Questions and answers about 3Dconnexion devices on Windows.

Moderator: Moderators

Kirito563

Possibility to switch the LCD display of the Spacemouse Enterprise on and off via function key

Post by Kirito563 »

Hello together,

now that I have purchased a Spacemouse enterprise for home use and set everything up, I have noticed one thing: While I use the Spacemouse virtually all day at work, I use it only occasionally at home. This means that it sometimes lies unused on my desk for several hours and the LCD display is on all the time.

I know that there is the possibility to turn off the display in the LCD settings. Unfortunately this is a bit tedious, it would be easier to assign a LCD on/off macro to one of the function keys in my "Desktop" profile.

As far as I know, this functionality does not exist yet. If I am wrong here I am thankful for every hint. Otherwise, would it be possible to implement this function with the next driver update?

With kind regards,
Kirito563
jwick

Re: Possibility to switch the LCD display of the Spacemouse Enterprise on and off via function key

Post by jwick »

That's a good idea.

To make some LCD control buttons available in the GUI you have to do some XML editing.
Add these Driver_LCD* lines toward the bottom or your <3DxWinCoreInstallDir>/Cfg/Explorer_Background.xml. There are two elements in there now. They will appear under the 3Dconnexion category.

Code: Select all

<ButtonFlyouts>
      <Category Sort="false">
        <ID>UI_3Dx</ID>
        <Name>STR_UI_3DX</Name>
        <ButtonAction>
          <ID>Driver_Start_FileManager</ID>
        </ButtonAction>
        <ButtonAction>
          <ID>Driver_Start_Browser</ID>
        </ButtonAction>
        <ButtonAction>
          <ID>Driver_LCDToggle</ID>
        </ButtonAction>
        <ButtonAction>
          <ID>Driver_LCDDecrease</ID>
        </ButtonAction>
        <ButtonAction>
          <ID>Driver_LCDIncrease</ID>
        </ButtonAction>
      </Category>
Then you can assign them to buttons on your device while the "Desktop" cfg is in use (click on the windows background).
Kirito563

Re: Possibility to switch the LCD display of the Spacemouse Enterprise on and off via function key

Post by Kirito563 »

Hello Jwick,

Thank you for your help, it got it to work!

Here is a quick summary for other people with the same question:
For just turning the LCD on/off the easiest way is to go into the "Explorer_Background.xml" file and change the "<ID>" section for the function key one wants to use to "<ID>Driver_LCDToggle</ID>"

Is there a list of all the "<ID>Driver_xxx</ID>" commands somewhere? It would be interesting to learn about all the possibilities.

With kind regards,
Kirito563
jwick

Post by jwick »

Most everything that exists is in Base.xml. If they are in there, you can use them anywhere. Base.xml is the dictionary. You can use the "words" anywhere.

There are some others that aren't exposed (for testing - e.g., Crash).

There is a group of Bank editing ButtonActions that may not be listed anywhere. E.g., to temporarily assign all your buttons to something else (like LCD operations!) while holding down a button, then go back to your standard app-specific buttons when you release it (like a "cfg Shift key"). It's my favorite. But there's no GUI for it. You have to get good a XML editing.

Some of the ButtonActions in Base.xml aren't used much, so they may break over time.
Kirito563

Post by Kirito563 »

Hallo jwick,

thank you very much for that hint :)

With kind regards,
Kirito563